500 build

WReXSTi

I think Iviythos is questioning your sexuality...I wouldn't take that over the internet....kick his @ss!!!

j/k lol...he means your PSU is good enough.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL yea. But I might dual monitor with another monitor in the future.

NOOOO, get a good monitor then run the second smaller one for various secondary apps like AIM window or temp readings and stuff

NOOOO, get a good monitor then run the second smaller one for various secondary apps like AIM window or temp readings and stuff

ok. But how good will 2 4830's run on that monitor I have? And is there a point of Crossfire at x8,x8?

ok. But how good will 2 4830's run on that monitor I have? And is there a point of Crossfire at x8,x8?

ya I heard that 8x PCI-E 2.0 wouldn't even limit the bandwidth on a 295 so you are plenty fine

I wanted to say something as your on the right track, just one small addition I'd like to make :). I was in the same shoes your in, looking to upgrade the same components... but I have a 1680x1050 lcd so didn't go the ATI route. Anyway SO glad your going with the Phenom 2, it's easily the best route. Mostly because it is an AM3 chip thus you will be able to upgrade motherboards for a long time in the future whereas L775 (Intel) is dead. But note... I don't think the x4 940 is an am3 chip is it? It's am2+ thus though it's better NOW you may be stuck with your board of choice. Particularly bad if your a relatively frequent (1ce every year or more) upgrader. If you can wait next month AMD will be releasing it's 'flagchip' on am3 (an am3 940 with no enhancements I believe) you may want to wait for that. If you cannot wait I suggest you go for the 920 and start saving for your new monitor.

As for new monitor I suggest you look for a 1080p one :)

_________

Just to satisfy my ego this is what I ended up getting

Phnom 2 x3 720

Asus M3NHT Deluxe (waste of money... also it is hard to deal with... but pretty worth it... I guess... still a waste of money for tri-sli, which I'll never use)

2gb XMS2 SLI-ready Ram (I prefer enthusiast class over low class/ more RAM.... personal decision, and one I may regret... I'll be upgrading the whole thing to DDR3 in a few months anyway)

XFX GTS 250 (same card you initially pointed out... usefull TO ME for two reasons... 1 it can be used with the Asus for Hybridpower and I don't game too much, just want a good card for when I do, you know so I can act like a rich a*hole... 2 since I am practically res locked at 1680x1020)

Tuniq 650w (I like my silent psu's more than efficient ones... but it's pretty much a clone of your BFG choice I believe... just more silent and slightly less efficient)

LG SATA DVD drive (as I only had IDE and these new mobos don't hang like that :/)

and a few toys... picked up the Razer Barracuda 5.1 earphones yesterday for 70 bucks (chaching!! Newegg limited offer, went FAST!!) and a component capture card I been spying too.

Edited by Knowname

I wanted to say something as your on the right track, just one small addition I'd like to make :). I was in the same shoes your in, looking to upgrade the same components... but I have a 1680x1050 lcd so didn't go the ATI route. Anyway SO glad your going with the Phenom 2, it's easily the best route. Mostly because it is an AM3 chip thus you will be able to upgrade motherboards for a long time in the future whereas L775 (Intel) is dead. But note... I don't think the x4 940 is an am3 chip is it? It's am2+ thus though it's better NOW you may be stuck with your board of choice. Particularly bad if your a relatively frequent (1ce every year or more) upgrader. If you can wait next month AMD will be releasing it's 'flagchip' on am3 (an am3 940 with no enhancements I believe) you may want to wait for that. If you cannot wait I suggest you go for the 920 and start saving for your new monitor.

As for new monitor I suggest you look for a 1080p one :)

I might as well get the AM2+ one because DDR3 ram is expensive and AM2+ mobos take DDR2. I have 500 for a computer and not a monitor. I will have money for a monitor later.

Just thought I'd mention it (I think the code is just for today so hop to it!)

I saw this today so I couldn't buy it...