Good grades = car

Onion

I never said more HP and braking power solves every problem without being aware of your surroundings. Even if you knew that guy was waiting to turn, you can't guess that he's gonna be an idiot and floor it to try to get through right in front of you. More HP and braking power contributes to helping solve the problem when being aware doesn't do the trick by its self.

And I never said you said that. I asked for a time when it ever replaced or had more of an effect. You should have been covering the brake as a just-in-case measure, which should be an instinct when you see someone in a position to turn into your path of travel. As most motorcyclists are told and tell others, "Ride like you're invisible." Drive like you're invisible.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic thread.

Beater unsafe? Define beater. If the brakes are not up to standard for road use, it should be illegal. Any car with the proper brakes fitted and in good condition will be safe enough to stop you - more so with ABS. The part that makes YOU unsafe, is not leaving a big enough gap (2 seconds ave) between yourself and the car in front. Forget about the car behind - that's out of your control. If someone in front slams their brakes, you should have ample time to brake accordingly, regardless of Brembo cross drilled and grooved vented Big Brakes or regular FoMoCo 240mm solid discs.

I put on my waterproof boots for this thread, but I still don't think that's enough. I may have to get the waders...

The amount of high-grade BS soapbox lecturing in this thread is amazing. But even more so, most of it seems to be coming from young kids. Drivers with just a few years under their belts. Are you kidding me?! Let it go already and stop being so dramatic. <_<

I'm picturing myself walking through this thread kicking soapboxes out from under people and watching them fall face first into their own BS spew.

I put on my waterproof boots for this thread, but I still don't think that's enough. I may have to get the waders...

The amount of high-grade BS soapbox lecturing in this thread is amazing. But even more so, most of it seems to be coming from young kids. Drivers with just a few years under their belts. Are you kidding me?! Let it go already and stop being so dramatic. <_>

I'm picturing myself walking through this thread kicking soapboxes out from under people and watching them fall face first into their own BS spew.

Though I have ten years of driving under my belt NOW, I can assure you I was just as good and safe back when I was a new driver. I agree there is a lot of BS in this thread, but let's not fall victim to the stereotype that all young drivers suck. Simply put, some people are just naturals behind the wheel, while others have to take time to learn, and some will never learn. I was in the first category, while one of my close friends was in the second category (it didn't help that he had me and another friend around who were both excellent drivers, so he rarely had the need to drive)...and all females fall into the third category ;).

The vast majority of people who say that they are 'good drivers' are generally not as good as they think. And worryingly, more than 85% of people would say they are a good driver.

I for one, know I am not good all the time. I'm cautious, but not always 'good'. For instance, I speed occasionally. I used to make ricers look stupid by out-accelerating them in my old car. I won't let bullying drivers 'push in' when in traffic queues (I will happily wind these drivers up - the ones that fly up the emergency lane and push in at the end etc). I shout when I get stuck behind slow drivers (windows shut of course) and will overtake if I can. But not always. I've never caused an accident to date and I have penalty points on my license.

This makes me a driver with lots to learn. Though I am more than confident about keeping my wits about me and being aware. It's how we choose to react that makes us better I suppose as well as maturing in you mind too. I'm almost 24 now (!) and I prefer to chill out while driving and as a result, I get 64mpg (imperial) when I drive to work. In a manual :lol:

Not sure why I wrote this post, but it seemed relevant when I started writing it.

Hey, don't be kicking my soap box. I'm quite heavy - it'll hurt when I fall over! :lol:

EARTHQUAAAAAKE!

and some will never learn

Celtica, where are you? :D

Edited by l33t p1mp

Nobody here has the same definition of "good" driving... To me, a "good" driver is someone that can drive without hitting other things, drive at higher speeds and keep control, and be generally graceful on the road/track. I can see that to many people here being a "good" driver really only means that you haven't gotten a ticket for speeding/peeling out/parking illegally. being a "good" driver doesn't mean that you comply with all the laws of the road, it just means that you handle your vehicle better than average.

Celtica, where are you? :D
shush, you :P

Nobody here has the same definition of "good" driving... To me, a "good" driver is someone that can drive without hitting other things, drive at higher speeds and keep control, and be generally graceful on the road/track. I can see that to many people here being a "good" driver really only means that you haven't gotten a ticket for speeding/peeling out/parking illegally. being a "good" driver doesn't mean that you comply with all the laws of the road, it just means that you handle your vehicle better than average.
Exactly. I've gotten speeding tickets...big deal. That doesn't make me a bad driver, it makes me one that knows he can handle his vehicle at higher speeds than is posted :P

shush, you :P

Exactly. I've gotten speeding tickets...big deal. That doesn't make me a bad driver, it makes me one that knows he can handle his vehicle at higher speeds than is posted :P

Sure it does! LOL I consider my self a decent driver fro the amount of miles i have under my belt.( Well over a million BTW). Have I had Accidents ? Yes Have I had Tickets ? Yes Does this make me an Unsafe driver? Not really when taking into accont the amount of miles that are driven. Your risk factor goes up and you cannot control the other drivers around you. You can do everything right and still end up dead.

Your risk factor goes up and you cannot control the other drivers around you. You can do everything right and still end up dead.

Herein lies the crux of the original question. Or at least what is left of it.