Good grades = car

Onion

I do agree here! The only people that drive automatics in Germany/Europe are delivery drivers or people that drive >100,000km's a year. Now that's a LOT of driving!

Seriously, shifting is not a pain? What is it with you US wusses? Shifting does become second nature like someone already said, it's not exactly hard and definitely does NOT put stress into your life... You must be some sorta Emo person for a manual to put stress in your life :lol:

Some of you automatic freaks should come and take a ride on German streats, literally every car is a manual! You don't find many automatic rentals here either, so either you get into a manual, or no Autobahn for you :lol:

Automatics would make me fall asleep if I was driving long distances... Seriously, what is it with todays lazy drivers? Slap the automatic into D, turn on the cruise control, buy lane assistant for the car and then snooze off behind the wheel? :rolleyes:

yes yes, I'm sure driving manual on the Autobahn is great. But come over to the metro NY area and see how much you enjoy manual in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes yes, I'm sure driving manual on the Autobahn is great. But come over to the metro NY area and see how much you enjoy manual in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Even that can be pretty easy as your only going from first to second gear. Everyone here is making a mountain out of a hill when it comes to driving a manual... When I learned I picked it up pretty fast... Too bad my first car is automatic.. I'll be dropping that for a manual in no time flat. Plus your crazy as it is if you own/drive a car in NY City as it is... If I lived there i'd stick to subways and cabs as much as possible due to the traffic... I wouldn't even drive.

Edited by Compxpert

Even that can be pretty easy as your only going from first to second gear. Everyone here is making a mountain out of a hill when it comes to driving a manual... When I learned I picked it up pretty fast... Too bad my first car is automatic.. I'll be dropping that for a manual in no time flat. Plus your crazy as it is if you own/drive a car in NY City as it is... If I lived there i'd stick to subways and cabs as much as possible due to the traffic... I wouldn't even drive.

I'm not saying it's hard, I'm saying it gets annoying after its initial allure.

And I don't live in "The City", I live in the suburbs. Unless I took buses around, a car is necessary...but traffic is still often stop-and-go.

i've been driving a manual for the past 7 years, the synchros were shot in the tranny before i ever got, not to mention its a 3 speed with overdrive with a small engine (4.3L v6 carb'd flat top pistons for a slightly higher comp' ratio estHP: 185 and ~240ft/lbs trq..stock 160/230. ) in a full size steel frame/body truck with a 3.73 differential. its could be argued that this the most undesirable driving experience known to man, but its not really a big deal. it goes from point a to b and the bench seat makes for great roadside fun.

for those interest...mods to come: 400 4 bolt main, afr aluminum heads, hydraulic roller cam and possibly fuel injection. 4x4 in the works.

Get an early 90s model Plymouth Laser Turbo, Eagle Talon TSI, Mitsubishi Eclispe GSX, or Ford Taurus SHO (preferably that hasn't been beat on). The first three I listed can be made to go stupid fast with little money (just don't be a moron & rice the thing out). The Ford Taurus SHO is more costly to make it go faster but fun none the less. It may look like your Grandma's grocery getter but will blow the doors off people just the same. You could always get a later 90s model SHO, which came with a 3.4L V8 (but auto only & make sure the cams are welded or suffer an exploded motor at some unknown/unexpected point).

Edited by cheetor1981

HA HAH AHA HA HA

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HAAAAA HA HA HA HA HAA!

Completely unnecessary.

Ahem. I've been driving for close to three years now, and I'll be the first to say that I've got a lot to learn, and have learned tons in those couple of years. Driving is an art. You can draw a few shapes without much practice, but it takes years to create a masterpiece. A couple of months? At that point I was getting to the point of actually being comfortable driving again after rolling a van (there was a thread here on OCC about that).

Kash, driving a manual becomes second nature fairly quickly. Two hours and I was shifting automatically.

I've never said that I was a pro. I'm just stating that unlike some people, I haven't totaled my ride yet.

And yes, after rolling a van, you really don't want to get behind the wheel again since you are scared it'll happen again. Reminds me of the time I went out sailing alone in a river, the boat capsized and I had to swim back to shore. Good thing I was really close and I was hurrying to get back.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned car insurance costs for a 16 year old male driver. If kids are such good drivers then why are insurance rates heavily loaded against them until their late 20's? Especially single males.

Leet, just get a really l337 skateboard and save your parents tons of cash and mental suffering!

Insurance is free for 15, and you get 10% off for taking drivers ed in school. :D

I already have a l33t skateboard btw.

Completely unnecessary.

Probably true, but it's definitely good for some comedic value. It's sure funny to see a teenager laugh at another teenager for something he didn't say, then lecture that teenager about driving skills, and then admit to flipping a van. :lol:

Man, I didn't get my first car until I was 20 and just got my first real job. And even then it was only because my mom had just bought a new car and wouldn't have gotten anything for trading in her 10 year old car. I plan to drive this car into the ground.

Try 20km's of traffic jam on the Autobahn because some tourist from the US (and this is actually true!) totalled his rented BMW 645i Convertible, which means 3 lanes of traffic has to be squeezed through the shoulder :rolleyes: That's no worries in a manual! Bumper to bumper traffic is also dead easy, just slap her into first and just let go of the clutch pedal! My bro's Golf Plus has enough grunt for me to only use the clutch, no need for extra throttle :P