Having Trouble Putting Rig Together

Computation

Wow this is really fked up. I'm sending this crap back. I took everything out then reconnected to make sure everything is ok but now it isnt even turning on. I need my computer for school....I think I might send this stuff back cept the vid card/ram and buy a barebone from avadirect to put it in.

And the damn heatsink/fan is STILL stuck on the motherbaord. The little clip will NOT come outof the hole in the mobo. Wow...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I was a bit tired and gettin irritated...took a nap now I'm back. :thumbs-up: It's coming on again, I see all the fans start up but I don't get a post or even a beep. That rules out a mobo problem right?

-edit- Ok things are much clearer when you aren't tired lol. So I took a stick of ram out and the vid card and I got a beep. But whenever I put the vid card in...I get nothing but infinite restarts.

-edit- ok now I think I see. The vid card fan isn't revving up. O_o But I don't understand how to hook up its power because the card came with a quickstart guide that says nothing about connecting a fan power supply.

-edit3-LOLOLOL....I didnt have the pci-e connector in. Ok now it posted...

Edited by Computation

my reccomendation, make sure the SECONDARY power cord to the motherboard is connected. should be a 4 or 8 pin, depending on motherboard, plug near the CPU socket. I have found not plugging in this cable to be a common mistake among people building there first PC, it will kinda look like the video power connecter but keyed. Also, if the motherboard has a video card built in (if the I/O on the motherboard has a VGA/dvi and or HDMI spot) then your computer could have been turning on but the video was outputing on the motherboard video card. Also make sure the memory is properly seated AND in the right slot (normaly dimm 0 and 1 but read the motherboad manual, it varies). And last but not least, did you use the little brass or plastic standoffs when you put it in the case? and if so did you put one in a spot where you dont have a screw hole? either one of these can cause the board to ground on the case causeing something like your describing.

Last, not sure this applys to you but is your board crossfire/SLI? if so make sure your video card is in the proper slot, some wont boot in a single card mode if the card is in the wrong slot.

Dont give up just yet, If you give us more information on the computer we can be more help. Pictures of what you have plugged in where might help to.

EDIT:: also, if you messed up the reset switch wiring then the computer could think your holding the reset switch. no idea why they dont standardize the front panel connections like they did the USB.... oh and i just saw the sig... my bad And it really sounds like the 2ndary power plug.

Edited by T3mpest

Too HOT!

Redo the HSF. Hopefully you still have it outside the case for easy install of HSF and testing.

I'm not 100% sure it is accurate. The thing was reading 200Farenheit in the bios but it feels like an air conditioner all around the hsf. what the heck? And I had already re-did the heatsink a while back and made SURE it was done right. But now the hsf pins are stuck in the mobo so I don't feel like screwing with that anymore.

I am on the computer now and CoreTemp is reading 50 Celcius at idle but the thing still feels very cool. I'm gonna install a low-gfx game to see how the temps rise...then I'll try Fear 2 and see what happens.

haha...just installing the game made the temps rise all the way to 100C. Playing the game is staying at 90 degrees Celauis but I see no frame drops whatsoever, no bsods, no lockups, no warm air at all. There is a slight buzzing that I think is coming from the vid card and thats it. Hrmm...I think Ill close this thing up now and call it a day. The temps are obviously wrong right? O_o

awesome computer though. It maxes out Fear 2 at 1280 res 4xFSAA16xAF. Everything I played before on my 1.5Ghz Geforce 5700LE rig it crushes...no problems.

Thanks for everyones replies. I'll keep an eye on the temps but I've been reading about 8400's having faulty sensors or something. Thanks again for all the helpful replies guys. :thumbs-up:

awesome computer though. It maxes out Fear 2 at 1280 res 4xFSAA16xAF. Everything I played before on my 1.5Ghz Geforce 5700LE rig it crushes...no problems.

Thanks for everyones replies. I'll keep an eye on the temps but I've been reading about 8400's having faulty sensors or something. Thanks again for all the helpful replies guys. :thumbs-up:

Touch the metal part of the cooler when it's at 50c.

If it is warm to the touch then the sensors are probably right.

You could touch it at 100c if you want. But that might hurt :D