Having Trouble Putting Rig Together

Computation

Hey...I've been working to put my new computer together but I've run into some things. Theres a wire from the front panel that just has a + and - sign and nothing else. What do I put that onto? Also for the power sw, reset, speaker etc it says that I have to match the + and - sides but it is not labeled which side is + and -.

And my 9800GT...I'm having trouble finding the power connector to put on it.

Also...does it really matter what direction you apply the thermal grease because I used about a grain of rice amount and just smeared it. It looks messy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The power and reset switches shouldn't have a polarity, so, they can go either way.

That random wire with polarity marked could be a LED, have you connected those (do you see one on the front)?

The 9800gt probably has a 6-pin connector. It's probably on a separate cable (straight from the power supply).

For the thermal grease, just follow the directions on the AS5 website for your processor type.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

hello and welcome to the forum;

as far as the thermal paste goes, it should be smeared on even and then scraped off leaving a thin layer...just enough to cover the surface slightly. doesn't matter which direction, but too much could be a problem.

the power connector for video card is probably a six pin and should be labeled pci-e near where it should fit into the video card.

for finding which wires go where on the motherboard, the best place to look is the motherboard manual...as long as it's available. also, the manual for the case you're using should have identifications for wires coming from the case.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Hey...I've been working to put my new computer together but I've run into some things. Theres a wire from the front panel that just has a + and - sign and nothing else. What do I put that onto? Also for the power sw, reset, speaker etc it says that I have to match the + and - sides but it is not labeled which side is + and -.

And my 9800GT...I'm having trouble finding the power connector to put on it.

Also...does it really matter what direction you apply the thermal grease because I used about a grain of rice amount and just smeared it. It looks messy.

Check your MB manual for where the front panel plugs go on whick pins. The manual will have the pin out that shows the positive and negative pins. If you don't have the manual, go online and find the manufacturer to download the manual. The wire from the front panel will be different colors with a common color (either red or black) which will be the ground (usually marked on the connectors also). Trace the wires to where they go if they don't tell you what they are for.

You may have to get an adaptor to create the proper plug for your video card. You may want to check your power supply to see if it is compatible.

As for the grease, you have to face north and spread it from east to west! :rolleyes: Just kidding! It doesn't matter usually just put a small dab on the processor and let the heatsink spread it when you mount the cooler. You could also use a credit card or plastic spreader to apply a thin even coating.

Hope this helps you! :)

crap...I just tried to turn it on and it looks like its about to post but I never get a beep. Then the computer just cuts off and does the same thing over and over.

Another thing...I think I broke the cpu fan on one side. =/

-edit- Ok looks like all the fans turn on...I get a light on the cd-burner...but I can't tell if the HDD is starting up.

Edited by Computation

crap...I just tried to turn it on and it looks like its about to post but I never get a beep. Then the computer just cuts off and does the same thing over and over.

Another thing...I think I broke the cpu fan on one side. =/

-edit- Ok looks like all the fans turn on...I get a light on the cd-burner...but I can't tell if the HDD is starting up.

If you broke one of the push pins on the cpu cooler or one is loose it will shut down like what your describing also...

I don't think the push pins on the small cpu thing are broken. I took my time with everything. Now though...the HSF is stuck onto the mobo. That little part you push into it to lock it down is stuck. This is a bit harder than I thought.

I pretty much followed the directions with everything...hrmmm.

yeah if its loose or somethings wrong with the application of the thermal paste it might not boot

It could boot depending on how hot it gets.

FYI some of the people I work with joke that on your first build everything can and will go wrong. So don't feel frusterated.

Take out everything except for one stick of ram, the cpu, the heatsink, the harddrive, and the GPU if you're using one.

Make sure that the RAM is firmly in place, as well as the GPU.

Make sure you plug the PSU into both spots on the MOBO, as well as on the HDD, and the GPU.

If it does not post

Remove the RAM, GPU, and HDD in order to see if you get an error message.

If you don't your MOBO is likely bad.

If you do.

Put them back in one at a time and see if it beeps after putting one in. ( this could show you have a dead part )

BTW

If the fan is plugged in the computer may boot. It will only shut down if the CPU is getting to hot. IF the cooler has slight contact with it It may be cooling it just enough to keep it from not booting.

You can easily boot a computer if Thermal Paste isn't on.