Serious Issue, Nothing Displayed On Screen...

Alright guys and gals, here's the deal. My buddies computer will not display ANYTHING on the screen. Simple solution right? Wrong, the graphics card is completely fine. We pulled the card and threw it in my system (<-- in sig) and it worked just fine. Since then we've tried replacing: the motherboard, the ram, the processor, and even the power supply (after all of them seemed to have tested fine in my machine). Interestingly enough, before we swapped out motherboards we tried my graphics card in his machine and it didn't work, so we figured the socket was gone on the motherboard. New motherboard, same thing (even a newer model motherboard). So we're stumped, we've come to you guys looking for answers.

The specs of his machine are as follows:

- eVGA nForce 680i LT Motherboard (Replaced with eVGA nForce 750i SLI)

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Allendale (Small OC to 3.0, replaced with C2D E7300 2.66Ghz Wolfdale)

- 2Gb Crucial Ballistix DD2-1066 (Replaced with a matching new set)

- eVGA GeForce 8800GT SuperClocked 512Mb

- PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W

To recap what we've done: Tested his power supply, and graphics card in my machine. Tests came back positive. In his machine, we replaced the graphics card (with mine - didn't work in his machine), the motherboard, and the RAM.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's highly unlikely that both boards have a bad PCI-E slot, but I can't think of anything else since you've pretty much checked every possible thing.

That's a very solid system he has going on though. I hope someone else can help you with your troubles. :thumbs-up:

It's highly unlikely that both boards have a bad PCI-E slot, but I can't think of anything else since you've pretty much checked every possible thing.

That's a very solid system he has going on though. I hope someone else can help you with your troubles. :thumbs-up:

Humm, I think you misunderstood the post. His graphics card, and mine as well, both run successfully in my machine. In his machine, neither display anything - on either of his motherboards (the 680i and 750i)...

They have multiple slots :)

As far as my understanding goes, unless SLI is being used - the top slot is the one you use... The top slots were used on all three boards... Isn't the bottom slot only a 4x slot anyways?

It should run regardless of whether or not it's in SLI :)

Even if it's not running at full speed, it'll display fine (I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a PCIe 1.1 x16, works just fine).

It's a quick test...much much easier than swapping motherboards / CPUs / etc etc

It should run regardless of whether or not it's in SLI :)

Even if it's not running at full speed, it'll display fine (I'm running a PCIe 2.0 card on a PCIe 1.1 x16, works just fine).

It's a quick test...much much easier than swapping motherboards / CPUs / etc etc

Even with that being said, there's no way both those motherboards' top PCI-e slots are bad... And if they are bad, who would want a motherboard with only one good slot?

Did you try as Nate suggested by using a second pci express slot? Did you clear the board's CMOS? Did you try a minimal install with one stick of RAM? Did you load BIOS defaults and run your PC at stock? So many loose ends here to try, I'm not sure what your question is.