Why Is My Cpu Running So Hot With Aftermarket Cooler?

HoLoDreaM

My X2 64 4200+ 939 has always been hot, but I've got a new RAM kit that seems to like overclocking better, so I want to push it a little further. Even on stock volts the idle temp on my CPU can be anywhere between 50-55. I am now currently running 1.4v CPU at 230mhz and when I run Prime95 within a minute or two I watch the temperatures in HWMonitor rise up to about 95C. When it gets to about 95-97, the test fails and stops. I just got done running that test, and it has cooled for about 5 minutes now and I am seeing between 42-56C temps (sometimes each core can be as different as 10C or more).

I have an Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro with Arctic Silver 5 (applied properly). Is this cooler sufficient?

either too much, too little as5. or a bad seating (the heatsink isn't on good)

or another possibility is that the silver'ish heat spreader that sits on the cpu isnt sitting perfectly. i had a cpu that would overheat similar to yours when overclocked much because the ihs wasnt on properly, and does 3.15g on air now without it.

Edited by RHKCommander959

My bet goes to the bad seating, I've never been in a case where improper thermal compound applied made my temps rise to the point of where they reach over 90C.

On that note, when applying AS5 you have two different ways of doing so:

1. Applying a pea-size amount right in the middle of the CPU then placing the cooler on top of it, and letting the cooler do most of the job of spreading it out (in time)

2. Apply a tad bit of AS5 on the CPU, using something along the lines of a credit card and spreading it evenly across the CPU making a very think coat of AS5.

I've reinstalled this cooler at least 5 times in the past month or two trying it. Each time cleaning off the old compound and reapplying new compound. I've got 2 different types of compound. The AS5 definitely helped over the cheap compound that I have but it's still not perfect. I have done the pea-size amount and the "spread with credit card"

When I reinstalled it last night. I used about a pea sized amount and let the HSF spread it.

And BTW. I've got a 120mm front intake fan, a 120 and 80 side intake fan, and a 120 rear exhaust fan

I just turned on my PC for the morning and I'm seeing about 45C on Core 1 and 37C on Core 2 idling with a couple windows open

Edited by HoLoDreaM

I've reinstalled this cooler at least 5 times in the past month or two trying it. Each time cleaning off the old compound and reapplying new compound. I've got 2 different types of compound. The AS5 definitely helped over the cheap compound that I have but it's still not perfect. I have done the pea-size amount and the "spread with credit card"

When I reinstalled it last night. I used about a pea sized amount and let the HSF spread it.

And BTW. I've got a 120mm front intake fan, a 120 and 80 side intake fan, and a 120 rear exhaust fan

I just turned on my PC for the morning and I'm seeing about 45C on Core 1 and 37C on Core 2 idling with a couple windows open

A pea size amount may be too much, I know it sounds crazy buy it doesn't take much. I normally apply an amount similar in size to a grain of rice and let the heatsink spread it out for me. A large delta in idle and load temps are often caused by bad contact between the heatsink and IHS. Too much or too little TIM tends to show high idle and load temps.

When you remove the heatsink is the TIM applied evenly in a circle?

I bumped my 4600+ up to 2.65GHz with stock cooling and I am running at 55C after prime95in it for 45 mins. You definitely have some problem.

What I meant was more if you barely put any on.

I didn't even really put a pea amount. maybe 1/3 or 1/2 a pea. i couldnt think of a good way to explain how much i put on

Haha, understandable...we all have different definitions and they can be confusing at times. Is the TIM being spread evenly when you let the heatsink spread it out, or does there appear to be un-even spots? I have received some chips before that had horrible high and low spots in the IHS which caused bad contact. It's also possible that your heatsink has a high or low spot in it as well.