Overclocking A Q6600

Crow47

Right now I have my q6600 at 3.2ghz with it set to 1.4 vcore in the bios, and the rest of the northbridge voltages and etc set to auto. This is stable. However, I would like to push it past this. I have been fiddling with the voltages and fsb, and in doing so I can get into windows at 3.4ghz but I have to jack up my vcore to almost 1.48 volts, and along with that I have to change my NB voltage to 1.48 volts and the fsb termination voltage to the same 1.48 volts. This is not completely stable, and I'm wondering what I should try to adjust to get more stability out of this. I'm afraid to up the volts more, because I don't really know what is acceptable for this chip, and what is acceptable for motherboards in general. I have a Zerotherm Nirvana cpu cooler.

If more info is needed I will be happy to provide.

Here's a cpu z shot of what I have right now:

157y87q.jpg

Edited by Crow47

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you got one of the not so good clocking chips, I have 9 Q6600s, 5 of them do good to run from 3.2Ghz to 3.4Ghz on 1.5 vcore setting in the bios which is less than that in cpuz and even less with load. The other 4 will do from 3.6-3.9Ghz with the 1.5 vcore setting. All Q6600 G0s are not created equal...

Sounds like you got one of the not so good clocking chips, I have 9 Q6600s, 5 of them do good to run from 3.2Ghz to 3.4Ghz on 1.5 vcore setting in the bios which is less than that in cpuz and even less with load. The other 4 will do from 3.6-3.9Ghz with the 1.5 vcore setting. All Q6600 G0s are not created equal...

is there any identification on these GO steppers to find out which are the cream of the crop so to speak? or is it luck of the draw?

cheers

Alright, just so long as I'm not damaging my chip with the 1.5 volts? Cooling isn't an issue, at max OCCT stress testing I have 60C.

What about the 1.5 on the northbridge?

I dont know what Gigabyte older boards were at default, I never had to add more than an extra + .50 to +.1 volts above default.

On mine it depended on the settings in the bios the cheap DS3 boards the next setting above default was +.1 so that was what I had to use, the DS4 and Dq6 had smaller increments and I could get by with +.25 to +.50 and about the same for the FSB...

my buddy had a P5Q board and ran 1.7v on the northbridge for 4 years or so with no problems. I'm going to check to make sure that was the board but i'm 90% sure it was. he had an e6600 running about 3GHz at 1.45v vCore.

my buddy had a P5Q board and ran 1.7v on the northbridge for 4 years or so with no problems. I'm going to check to make sure that was the board but i'm 90% sure it was. he had an e6600 running about 3GHz at 1.45v vCore.

Thanks for the info, good to know!

I'm happy to report that I've managed to get 3.4ghz stable. Stable in regards to prime95 for about 7 hours. I'll test further soon.

What VID is your quad, do you know the FPO/Batch number? I will be on the box and is on the cpu also..