Anyone Else Running Crysis W/ 2 4870x2's?

TRWeiss1

First post here, so here goes. :)

Earlier this week I picked up my 2nd 4870x2 and 1.2 KW PSU...Knowing that Crytek had partnered with nVidia while making Crysis, I didn't expect a *huge* gain in performance, but I expected something. (I more or less picked up the card for future DX10 games, but was hoping to run Crysis a little better). It seems that the game runs EXACTLY the same whether I'm running x-fire or not. :(

I am running a dual boot between XP Pro and Vista Ultimate (64bit), and with catalyst 8.9 drivers and DX10 the game seems to run even WORSE for me (so I've just been running it in XP with DX9). Using CCC I've got each card at 800/900 right now, and they are very stable...No crashing, artifacting, etc...It's also worth mentioning that I have no X-fire option in CCC while running Vista, though CCC can see both cards and they are both installed in device manager. I've removed and reinstalled the drivers, only to see the same problem resurface.

What I'm wondering is is anyone else running these in X-fire and getting better results? As just about every Crysis player knows, there are points in the game you can get 80-90 FPS, and times when it drops (at least for me) down to about 20. I'd be happier than a pig in **** if I could just get my framerates to stay above 30 FPS. :)

Now, my *hope* here is that ATi will be addressing 4870x2 x-fire in their next catalyst release, but who knows...I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. :( System specs are in sig, and I am running everything on high in Crysis. Resolution is 1680x1050, and I haven't tried enabling AA in x-fire yet. Lastly, I am running the 1.2 patch.

Any words of wisdom from the veterans? :)

Also, as far as I know, I've run all the Windows updates for Vista, but I'll continue to search and see if there's something I might have missed. :)

I have searched this forum for answers to my Crysis problem with no luck so far, but I'll continue to do so...

Edited by TRWeiss1

Take one card out, run 3D M 06. Make a note of the score

Put second card back in, enable X-Fire, RE-Run 3D M06, score should be alot more.

If the score does not increase by a large margin, Xfire is not working properly.

I'm assuming you're running the 8.9 catalysts rud3bwoy? Vista with DX10?

I will try removing one card and running 3dmark06 without crossfire enabled. However, wouldn't removing the x-fire bridge and unchecking x-fire in CCC be equivalent to running just one card?

Edited by TRWeiss1

yeah in order to get the fullest out of your 4 gpus you'll need to be running a cpu at 4ghz or more even, my best friend had the same issue and he was running an E8600 at 4.5ghz he slapped in a Q9650 clocked it to 4ghz and no more bottleneck. what it is, is basically you are running WAY to much gpu power for your cpu to handle.

yeah in order to get the fullest out of your 4 gpus you'll need to be running a cpu at 4ghz or more even, my best friend had the same issue and he was running an E8600 at 4.5ghz he slapped in a Q9650 clocked it to 4ghz and no more bottleneck. what it is, is basically you are running WAY to much gpu power for your cpu to handle.

Right on! You need to upgrade your CPU. FX-60 is way to slow. Get a quad and you will be flying with two of these.

Thanks for the help guys! I picked up a Core 2 Duo Q9400, ASUS Rampage Formula, and 8 gigs of DDR2 Mushkin last night. ;) Hopefully that'll get the job done with running these 2 cards. :D

You will be AMAZED at the performance increase.

The fx60 was a good little chip for its time, but is a big bottleneck for even one 4870X2. Keep up posted! Remember the higher the clocks the better. With two cards that powerful don't worry about mem bandwidth or graphics card overclocks, since the most performance will always end up being at the highest CPU clockspeeds.

You will be AMAZED at the performance increase.

The fx60 was a good little chip for its time, but is a big bottleneck for even one 4870X2. Keep up posted! Remember the higher the clocks the better. With two cards that powerful don't worry about mem bandwidth or graphics card overclocks, since the most performance will always end up being at the highest CPU clockspeeds.

Agreed!

Sorry to hijack your post. This has got me thinking about my setup . Do you guys think I my have the same bottleneck

with my 2x8800gtx in sli using an overclocked to 3.91g e8400 cpu ? :blink: