Important: Ati 4850 Temps Too High?

So I just ordered an Asus 4850 today, and one of the things I've been reading all over is how darn hot they are.

Fooling around, I happened to find two very important threads (so I hope...that they are important)

#1 Manually edit XML file = SERIOUS temp drop... i.e. install CCC, turn on overdrive, manually edit profile to set fan speed to whatever you want!

#2 4850's have same pattern as 3850's... i.e. looks like they will take the same coolers that fit on the 3850's!

Going to snag me a cooler for the one I just ordered, but I'm also going to be testing this before I put it on!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also change the thermal paste and drop another 10 degrees Celsius.

Refreshing the Thermal with a quality product does help (Arctic Silver 5) but you wont get a "10C" drop, more like 3-5C as it beds in.

Aftermarket Cooling on HD 4850

I think that clearly illustrates that the main reason for the high temperatures is purely the stock cooling on the card rather than the chip itself.

Pretty much the same experience I had with my 8800GT, which was reasonably toasty on stock cooling but just fine with the Accelero S1.

There is actually nothing wrong with the stock coolers, and the new core actually runs very cool.

The problem is that the 8.6 cats lock the fan speed at only 26% even at full load!!

Manually setting it to even just 50% drops the temps down to the low 60s at full load :)

50% according to just about everyone is way too loud, but I see a lot saying they moved to just 35% and the temps dropped 10C+, and 45% started getting annoying but the temp drops were even more pronounced.

I went ahead and ordered an Accelero S1 rev2 or whatever that fits the 3850 along with just a single Yate Loon 120mm fan...that should do the tricky hehe

I am wodering if I can squeeze 2 Accelero S1 rev2's with the turbo mudules on my x48 and still be able tu use my soundblaster x-fi? Just gonna have to order them and find out I guess.

Edited by Bubbaxm2

once my 4850 + Accelero arrives, I'll be able to tell you, so if you aren't in a hurry, just wait until Thursday night at the latest (I have school Tue-Thur and don't get on the comp much if at all)

Gigabyte X48-DQ6

E6600 Core2

2x2GB Mushkin DDR-800

blah blah blah

X-Fi Fatality Championship Series w/front I/O panel