Still worth getting XP?

Zeiss120

So I'm finally about to plop down and buy new computer parts but the one thing missing is....an OS.

I know I could go along and get something like Ubuntu which is pretty user friendly but I'm not that much into software..nor am I that savvy about it. So I'm sure trying to run games that I want to play as just plug and Play might not happen with that OS.

So it comes down to the biggest OS maker in the world but which one do I get? Is Vista worth getting now? Or should I just go with the good old XP Pro and be done with it for another year or two?

I personally think VISTA isn't running that bad on a powerful rig after SP1. I mean there is still some small issues but if I was going to spend cash (:)) on a OC I would definitely buy VISTA.

XP Pro still gets my vote. If I buy an OS for myself, build a fresh rig for a customer, or even order a pre-configured system for a customer, they come default with XP Pro unless the customer demands Vista.

Guest Lavell

I agree 100%! Why wasn't that link posted sooner? It's in my bookmarks now!!!

Holy crap, that link is gold!

is it legal cdkey?

that is a darned good question. if so then $60 bucks is a steal even if you have to wait 2 hours for the download.

can you burn the download to a cd or dvd?

all i find in that giant chunk of #$%%@# text that site has is this:

"There is also activation to consider, a mildly annoying anti-piracy measure that requires you to obtain a code from Microsoft for full installation, and in the future if you reinstall or make major system changes. "

wtf does that mean? are we downloading corporate edition pro? if so then why pay lol?!

Has anyone bought from that link yet? Most of these OEM download sites are a scam... but if anyone here has already purchased from them before, and had a good result, I might consider buying a copy...

Or I'll just get vista via the Employee purchase program :-) already have several copies of XP... would like to give vista a go since SP1 has been out...

AFAIK OEM copies can ONLY be sold with hardware (generally taken to mean a full PC) and the licence is tied into that hardware (please correct me if I'm wrong as its been a long time since I had the will to read an EULA etc.)

I also wouldn't expect Corporate licences to be sold on to 3rd parties and split down to sell to private individuals.

That site is almost too good to be true...