Winning the bet (wolfdale+commando)

Repr

A couple of things. You said this was all about the highest stable CPU overclock. Try with just one stick of memory. You will be able to push the memory further.

Also crank up the CPU voltage some. As I wrote before, you may just have a doggy CPU. But the other thing that it may help is GTL reference voltages. 965 boards are not optimized for 45nm processors. A BIOS update can help by lowering the default VTT voltage and the GTLREF percentage but nothing else. A lot of these boards suffer from overshoot and ringback of GTLREF at turn-on.

There is a pull-up transistor at the output of the GTLREF buffer that is connected to VCORE. For the first bus cycle this transistor turns on and raises the termination voltage which is the value of VTT to the value of VCORE. This helps bring GTLREF back below the threshold of where overshoot will occur.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repr , why are you pulling everyone's chain? :mad:This is definetly an April 1st (fool's day) prank (bothering everybody with made-up stories)... Man, I just reached 4.2Ghz 12h stable wth the Commando and an E8400 yesterday on a friend's computer- we used some PQI crap- 2x1GB 800MHz using ~2.1 voltage on em' . Either you're making some kind of joke, or YOU are the joke dude,not being able to break 3.6 ... :)))) By the way- we used the iNTEL cooler...

Teachers like your imaginary one are just too cool to be true

-Mizrael MKD

:rolleyes: :Very nice FIRST post, and welcome to the Street to you as well :rolleyes:

Well the MEGA clock you have there, no doubt you have proof of it ? So we look forward to seeing you post it in the Overclocking database soon. What ? oh no, you forgot to take any screenshots or run 3d01. You won't mind running it again though, will you ? After all, it is 12 hr stable.

Repr

A couple of things. You said this was all about the highest stable CPU overclock. Try with just one stick of memory. You will be able to push the memory further.

Also crank up the CPU voltage some. As I wrote before, you may just have a doggy CPU. But the other thing that it may help is GTL reference voltages. 965 boards are not optimized for 45nm processors. A BIOS update can help by lowering the default VTT voltage and the GTLREF percentage but nothing else. A lot of these boards suffer from overshoot and ringback of GTLREF at turn-on.

There is a pull-up transistor at the output of the GTLREF buffer that is connected to VCORE. For the first bus cycle this transistor turns on and raises the termination voltage which is the value of VTT to the value of VCORE. This helps bring GTLREF back below the threshold of where overshoot will occur.

English lol.

A newer bios perhaps? I ordered a pre flashed chip from Tmod with the 12/11 Beta and it's been good so far for the DFI Dark/965 chipset/E8400.Just a thought.

you must have read my mind

last fryday when i installed the wolfdale i first tried the 1605, that was the newest bios. it didnt boot at all. after that i used 1604. a few hours ago i downloaded 1703Beta, that was released just days after i installed the wolfdale. bad luck i guess

its running at 3.6ghz, perfectly stable. gonna go higher after i got some sleep

stupid bios messed it all up!!! :)

ill donate 10% of anything i earn to the street. so thats $20 if i win, and another $1 for every 100mhz i top that :)

3.75ghz stable now at stock vcore. taking the lead.

lol you have him beat without even raising the Vcore, this guy definitely chose the wrong type of bet. He should have challenged you to a game of something instead, he would have stood more of a chance hehe

finally got my memory. PC2 8500 OCZ SLI ready (seems to work fine without).

its doing its first run now at 1033mhz with 2.3volt on it. cpu at stock Vcore at 3718mhz. and i can drop the divider now!!! guess its finally time to see how fast this thing goes!!!

finally got my memory. PC2 8500 OCZ SLI ready (seems to work fine without).

its doing its first run now at 1033mhz with 2.3volt on it.

Check the specs on the memory. All PC2 8500 that OCZ has shipped since the first of the year is 2.1V max. Which is what you should have unless your supplier had some old stock.

Check the specs on the memory. All PC2 8500 that OCZ has shipped since the first of the year is 2.1V max. Which is what you should have unless your supplier had some old stock.

the sticker said 2.1-2.3 volts. and the store certainly had no stock at all. ill see if i can find info on the ocz site.