Sins of a Solar Empire

Angry_Games

Yeah man was a great game until... I gotta figure out why my connection is getting dropped. Travis said he saw me get signed out of and back in to Ventrillo too, thinking it might be this onboard NIC. Gonna switch rigs today and see if it happens again, just gotta wipe the other rig and reinstall stuff first.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys are right....

This game will suck the life out of you....I feel really drained today after being in a game all night till 7am this morning....given DST added 1 hour..;)

Ok, started messing with Galaxy Forge tools.

8-Man Fertile Ring (50+ planets I think)

Well, here it is. Two pics included with the map. The map needs to go here:

Program FilesStardock GamesSins of a Solar EmpireGalaxy and then it will show up as a Large/Huge map.

The 8-planet fertile ring is composed of desert and terran planets. There are plenty of gas giants, anomalies, volcano/ice, asteroids, etc thrown in. Now that I'm getting the hang of the Galaxy Forge tools, if you have a special idea for a map that you think would be fun for us, just get with me and try to lay out your ideas (heck, draw it in MS Paint and I can pretty much create it).

Well, that's all the Sins for me until Thursday night. Tomorrow school-grind though next week is Spring Break!! Sins for a whole week!!!

Fogel & EllisD = great game tonight. We knocked 'em out in 2:41. That means everyone is getting better...we gonna have to make them all Medium Aggressors or even Hard Randoms...

Yah, that was a great game. I felt a little sluggish learning the Vasari, but I think I also learned a few things along the way. Being limited to mostly asteroids in that game has me thinking of the best ways to use my logistics slots because something has to suffer. If I want a Media Hub, Orbital Refinery, and Trade Port than I pretty much used up all my logistics slots. So I have to sacrifice when I want things like Research Towers (Military & Civilian), Frigate Factories or even move my Capital Ship Factory. All of which effects which research you can do and how much. Vasari need 4 Civilian before you can Orbital Refineries.

Yah, that was a great game. I felt a little sluggish learning the Vasari, but I think I also learned a few things along the way. Being limited to mostly asteroids in that game has me thinking of the best ways to use my logistics slots because something has to suffer. If I want a Media Hub, Orbital Refinery, and Trade Port than I pretty much used up all my logistics slots. So I have to sacrifice when I want things like Research Towers (Military & Civilian), Frigate Factories or even move my Capital Ship Factory. All of which effects which research you can do and how much. Vasari need 4 Civilian before you can Orbital Refineries.

well keep in mind that not every game will you be limited on the types of planets you will colonize. Take the new map I made for example in my post above...it starts out with your home Terran planet, a desert planet behind it, usually an asteroid or ice/volcano after it, and then it moves into specials, space junks, etc, until you get into the 'fertile ring' of planets (terran and desert).

I've been in maps where I was stuck predominantly with crap asteroids and only a few planets so that's when you learn to maximize your logistics slots.

One very important way that I learned was once you start moving your 'front lines' forward, start scuttling your frigate/capital ship factories and place them on/near your forward lines. This opens up logistics slots all around your planets (of every type). Also be aware that if you are shooting for one particular technology you can use logistics slots to get it researched then pull it down (you don't lose the ability you researched) and replace it with trade/refinery ports. You can always use logistics slots later as you capture newer worlds, or fill in slots when the front line planets are no longer on the front lines and you need to move your ship factories forward to cut down on battle reinforcement delays etc.

Also be aware that if you are shooting for one particular technology you can use logistics slots to get it researched then pull it down (you don't lose the ability you researched) and replace it with trade/refinery ports.

:eek:

Sweet, i dont know why i didnt think to ask that, but thats a great little tidbit to know.

I had thought about trying it but it seems like there is usually something in both trees in the upper end worth continuing to aim for. So I guess when you are limited like that its probably best specialize and become really good at something than craptastic at both. Nice to have confirmation though that actually works, thanks. :)

I had thought about trying it but it seems like there is usually something in both trees in the upper end worth continuing to aim for. So I guess when you are limited like that its probably best specialize and become really good at something than craptastic at both. Nice to have confirmation though that actually works, thanks. :)

as I said, you destroy a lab for now to make room for trade/refinery to keep your economy strong, but you can rebuild the labs later. You are already defeating yourself by thinking you have to specialize in something and keep those labs around 100% of the time...you don't...you only need them long enough to research whatever is it you are after, and then you can go back later with more labs and research more.