• Of course! Blue Ray:Movies::HDTV:Television
    • No way. No reason
    • Possibly. If the $ is right.
    • PS3! DUH!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said ps3 because that is what I will be getting but more like in 9-12months due to the faster blue ray drives and bugs being worked out.

-Will

Guest caffeinejunkie

No way for me

I mean I already have 3 dvd players that I never use so why would I throw some more money out the window for another toy that will just gather dust? Id much rather go out with some friends and see the movie in theater or dive-in (not to many of these left). As for having a blu-ray drive well I still havent seen the need to get a dvd drive let alone burner. Also while the storage capacity of blue-ray may be inpressive for the price of the 900 dollar burner you could easily get a 1.5tb external drive.

Did everybody forget Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are too DRMy? You need HDCP approved components all the way to the display when using DVI or HDMI, and who out there is going to spend another bundle on a new HDCP-compliant video card when you've already got 2 $300 cards in SLI that don't support HDCP playback?? Also, I've seen articles about firmware that if it recognizes a pirated disk, could possibly put a permanent "lock" on the drive so that one single pirated disk just ruined your $850 player. I'll stick to 8.5GB and $35, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r3d c0m3t

The answer to this question is simple...no. Not now, not tomorrow, nor next week or any other time after that. Whether or not Blu-ray has better studio support, which format has more movies on the market right now? HD-DVD, and for $199 I can purchase the 360 add-on and be happy with that. Even if you don't have a 360, you can still purchase it and plug it into your PC.

What more could you expect, it's mfr'd by Microsoft. :nod:

I'll wait at least until the format war is over.

Sony's proprietary release of the lasers may become their downfall in the HD market (even if Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD); just like what happened W/ Betamax. Videophiles argue that BetaMax was better than VHS, but the VHS was more widely available so they won out.

A similar situation was played out w/ the 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppies.

@ HG

Yes I know BetaMax and Mini-Disc