Temperature.. Does it look ok?

My suggestion: 1 intake fan = bad idea.

I have my intake outnumbering my outtake, by a lot.

I have a front fan intake, two side fans, one fan blowing through where the floppy drives should be on to the PWM IC, and only fan taking air out is the power supply itself, and my temperatures are... ::loads up Everest to check::

CPU: 30C

Chipset: 40C

PWM IC: 36C

GPU1: 32C

GPU2: 32C

GPU1 Diode: 40C

GPU2 Diode: 35C

You need more intake, I think, 'specially a fan (if you can manage it) blowing right on yer chipset, cuz even if yer chipset fan is running full blast (7K RPM) it's still not gonna keep it very cool.

My chipset is only as hot as it is because I'm running it at 1.62Vs in the BIOS right now. Ambient room temp is 73.9F

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as your creating a draft through the case it doesnt matter what your fan arrangement is.

With the stock fans on the armor/kandalf you have more cfm as exhaust compared to intake. This still means that theres less hot air inside the case overall.

If you had a box and inside the box it was a complete vacuum then you punched a hole in it the difference in air pressure would cause air to rush inside the box from the hole. The case works on a similar principle except you have multiple holes with air being forced either way, but mostly out. Now i dont think it would work as well as the box/vacuum example but the vacuum effect will still be there to a certain degree.

The vacuum effect should always be present as long as you have one type of fan outnumbering the other. More than likely 3 intake vs 1 exhaust will give the same sort of results as 1 intake 3 exhaust. Personally when i put my hand in front of my 1 intake fan i can feel the air rushing into the case.

Mmm. Most of my fans are high powered Thermaltake ones ;) AKA the ones that blow at or above 4000RPMs, depending on settings and the size. I have two of them on my radiator, the 120s only blow up to around 2800 though, still very nice. My Radiator is currently completely external, helps with CPU temp.

Personally I've ALWAYS found intake outnumbering exhaust fans helps, mostly because:

1: people never take in to account that their PSU fan counts, so if you have even intake and exhaust, but you aren't counting it, you could be creating uneven air flow, and therefore, dead air, in certain places.

2: Think of it this way. If you have three fans sucking out and only one blowing in... You've got 1 fan pushing air in while THREE are trying to suck air out, and if the case is even semi air tight, that's putting stress on those exhaust fans as well as the intake to meet their demands, thus causing previously mentioned uneven air conditions and causing pockets of no airflow.

If everything in yer case isn't liquid cooled, I recommend a minimum of 3 intake, and 1-2 exhaust fans (INCLUDING your PSU).

its not just about intake and exhaust ... its also about how your air flows

you don't wanna make a whirlwind in there ...

I got 2 intake ... front bottom blows to a fan inside which blows up ..

blows hot exhaust from chipset up to exhaust in rear ..

other instake(icage) blow air into 64pro which helps blow air out back

cpu 26 (less than 1k rpm freezerpro64)

pwmic 29 (1300 rpm Tt 120 fan)

chipset 33 (2k rpm on evercool)

HD 22 (1300 rpm Tt 120fan on icage)

Gpu 43 (cuz i got cheap and bought vf700 rather than vf900)

I dunno, my idle temps on a C2D E6400 with a 700mhz overclock are 36C

As long as you arent idling at like 60C whats the big deal. I think with full load i get to maybe 50C.

Dont worry about it IMO. You arent going to fry your CPU with temps that low. At least I've never seen it happen.

What are your temps under load?

Those temps are hot, but not too bad. What's your ambient? How much voltage are you pushing to your gear? Sounds like these are basically idle temps though - what do they go up to under load (dual-prime, etc)?

Oh, and one other thing: there's no northbridge on an AMD board.

• 9 months later...

Hi helpers,

I was lucky enough to lay my hands on the opteron 180 for my nF4 UltraD.

The upgrade was a see saw ride for me. You can read it here:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79050

I have an observation to make and ask for your help...

My system restarts when i try to log in to Windows XP. But it goes through fine the second time without any problems.

I installed ITE Smart Guardian and as soon as i log on, it reports a CPU temperature of 40C. Then in a minute, it settles down to a comfortable 33C. Is this normal?

Also, i restarted and got into the bios and observed that it reads the CPU temp at 44C. I have enabled the shut down feature in the bios to 60C.

But please could anybody help me out with this observation.

I did not reinstall XP (its SP2 with all patches). Instead, i just changed the processor and RAM.

when ur pc finally gets into windows, it is normal for the temps to be a little warmer than normal for a moment, as all the windows stuff is loading up, plus whatever "extra" software u got that starts on boot up.

the reason ur bios temps are even higher, is because ur cpu is running full throttle, where as at your desktop, windows os does procedures to halt cpu use at idle, to lower temps.

try re-installing windows?

Thanks MadZalmanModder.

I felt the same too, regarding the logic behind bios reporting 44C. Good to have a confirmation :)

Would the cpu still be running at 100% if i opt to run memtest from the bios? Just curious.

With regards to the screen shot below.

I ran two instances of prime95 and was tracking the cpu temps. Here is the confusing part. Within the OS and @ 100% load, the cpu heats up to 50C.

temp_problem.jpg

If the cpu is running @ 100% in the bios and reporting 44C. Then why is it reporting 50C when its run at 100% once inside the OS?