Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Well I just installed one on an AM2 Sempron/DFI Lanparty nf590 combo.

If I had actually looked at the instructions this might have gone better...but it ended up taking over an hour.

First i put it together and I'm like, well that went pretty well. Maybe 20 minutes out of the box. Then I'm like did I forget something?

Thermal paste. Dammit, okay tear her down.

Applied thermal paste rebuilt her.

Turn the board back over and start checking it out. Wait a minute....something doesn't seen right. The fan hangs over the first PCI-e slot, and blows straight down into a panel of aluminum.

Dammit, gotta tear her completely down and move the brackets 90 degrees. Get her together again and I'm like did I forget something?

Thermal paste. AGAIN.

Note to any potential buyers, if you're an idiot and frustrated easily (like myself) you might want to avoid this product. :D

You forget thermal paste too, eh? I guess that happens to the best of us :D

But more importantly, how's cooling?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forget thermal paste too, eh? I guess that happens to the best of us :D

But more importantly, how's cooling?

Haven't quite gotten that far yet, still installing the rest of the gear, I'm actually using my case this time instead of my desk, because I want to see how this thing operates in a normal environment.

I'll be sure to post though once I get her up and running, probably gonna be another two hours since I've gotta eat yet too. :)

He He! Can't wait for the temps!

Well, at stock voltage she idled at about 31C, which personally I consider a bit on the high side, though it has been warming up here of late so I blame it on the weather. The 'cool' thing is that under load (Orthos small fft's) it'd only reach 34C, even when overclocked to 290x9. About that point I had to bump the voltage up, and I went ahead and put her up to 1.425 (stock was around 1.36) just to get a bit more heat flowing. Now she's happily finishing the 12th hour of Orthos at 320x9 and reaching 40C.

Still can't wait to see what she can do when ambients drop back to 10C and the voltage goes up to 1.55. :D

Well, at stock voltage she idled at about 31C, which personally I consider a bit on the high side, though it has been warming up here of late so I blame it on the weather. The 'cool' thing is that under load (Orthos small fft's) it'd only reach 34C, even when overclocked to 290x9. About that point I had to bump the voltage up, and I went ahead and put her up to 1.425 (stock was around 1.36) just to get a bit more heat flowing. Now she's happily finishing the 12th hour of Orthos at 320x9 and reaching 40C.

Still can't wait to see what she can do when ambients drop back to 10C and the voltage goes up to 1.55. :D

Techno, how loud is that thing?

Techno, how loud is that thing?

I've never heard it spool up, but my rig isn't the quietest in the world either. I have 3x120mm fans on top running as well as 4x80mm fans on the side that certainly aren't silent.

Just shut off all my others fans, I can hear it make almost a slight squeak or something when I get close to it, but I really can't hear it when I'm sitting at my desk (about 3 feet away) and certainly not with the panel on my computer.

But again, it's chilly in here and I haven't pushed it very far yet. For some reason my board (Lanparty nf590) doesn't like to go over ~326 HTT, so I'm toying with that right now.

I was wondering if the thermal compound that came with the TEC does a better job than AS5. I've used AS5 all along and have never used the white paste that have come with coolers. Just curious if the provided thermal compounds out perform the AS5?

I was wondering if the thermal compound that came with the TEC does a better job than AS5. I've used AS5 all along and have never used the white paste that have come with coolers. Just curious if the provided thermal compounds out perform the AS5?

I'm using Ceramique myself, I didn't get any with mine (just borrowing Happy's for a bit).

As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to like being in a really cold environment. My room is damn cold right now, when I first turned my computer on the display was reading the plate at 5C, when warmed up it hit 12C or so. But when I first turned it on the fan just cranked way up until it warmed up, which I thought was a little weird.

But the fan isn't doing anything now. :)

When I arrived home from work tonight. By the front doorstep in a brown box from Newegg was the Vigor Monsoon II. Had to try it and see for myself. So far, I'm very pleased with the performance.

A64 4000+ 242x12 @ 1.57V - Vigor Monsoon II

Ambient/22C Idle/26C Load/38C

A64 4000+ 242x12 @ 1.57V - Zalman CNPS9500

Ambient/22C Idle/29C Load/48C

Looks good to me, IMO :nod:

According to the Installation Guide (last page): Temperature display ===> Current TEC operating temperature. Not the CPU temp. For the rest of the LCD I'm not sure what the guy digging the hole is doing or why he's there but he's work'n hard all the time. I do like the Total/Timer feature.

[ATTACH]5561[/ATTACH]