Onboard sound or an expensive soundcard?... Worth it?...

Icez84

My first set of decent speakers were Klipch (KG4 If memory serves me correctly). As fate would have it... the gentleman who I sold them to is posted to the same base as I am and he's planning on buying a new surround sound system.

I've got dibs on them when he sells them. (The young lad blew his missions in less than 6 months).

Been running a set of the original Polk Audio SDA 1s for close to 20 years now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys didn't notice my thread in the Off-topic section I'm in the process of upgrading my PM Ultra 5.1's to the Reference Ultra's (As I dubbed it anyways). Which consists of upgrading all 5 satellites to the RSX series from the Klipsch Reference line running off the Promedia Subwoofer/amp.

So far I've picked up the R/L front channels consisting of 2 RSX-5's:

Here's my thread that I started showing the difference in size the new sats have over that of the stock promedia's:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66877

I'm hoping to have all 5 channels upgraded by the end of November latest (as my budget is tight). And I'm still debating on whether to throw 2 more RSX-5's on the rears or go with RSX-4's/RB-10's. RCX-4 center is a give-in.

Although doing this upgrade is more expensive than the ultra's themselves. Just hearing the 2 RSX-5's in Stereo music is absolutely brilliant for such a small speaker, make's it worth-while to me. And the PM amp drives these speakers suprisingly well to boot.

nice - you can't go wrong with any Klipsch -

i dont have the room to put 5 speakers all around - so i got the 2.1 and they sit next the lcd facing me - of course on a montior stand - i have a allstop lcd stand thats pretty cool looking and i stick my keyboard under it for desk space and have a self to hold some junk - tv remote and credit cards close so i can order more junk - haha --

its stanless steel silver pretty nice stand --

I'm 95% sure my audigy 2 zs has crapped out on me (getting hardware check exception blue screens when it is installed)... i played BF2 with the onboard sound for the first itme in months.... and the difference IS noticeable... explosions and overall sound quality was poor when compared to the audigy card. So I'd say it is worth it, but hopefully you don't encounter problems

I use a pair of 2.0 Klipsch Promedia Ultras for speakers. I know it isn't anything fancy like 7.1 set but they serve me extremely well, sound awesome and look great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16836119107

Besides, I usually am on the Sennheisers 80% of the time anyway.

I have grown to somewhat dislike Creative cards. It isn't anything absolute, just over time their software not mixing well with me and the cards being far overpriced for what you get (IMO).

I actually use a bluegears b-Enspirer card that I got a while back from the egg. I used to just use the Realtek onboard sound and I can say with the 192KHz and 110dB SNR I can tell a difference on the speakers but mainly on the headphones big time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16829127002

Overall, I think the onboard sound by Realtek is good, and the bluegears I got is great.

boo

i may want to upgrade to a sound card - i am using on board sound

i mostly listen to music and play some games - but i would want it to make a difference in listening to music - i dont want to spend alot

i only have 2 speakers and subwoofer -- sounds great now actually

but i am sure it will sound better with any card :)

what are some good cards - decent priced - i am using klipsch with subwoofer -

as i stated a couple of posts before:

you can do just an audigy2, which will probably be more then enough for you, or just get one of the new x-fi cards, which are a lot cheaper but with the same core...

(dunno the differenced between them and the older models yet, only that price is lower - 'bout 60 bucks i think)

guys any advice on getting a second hand audigy2 soundcard? Anything to look out for? i saw some in a couple local it forum, going for like 18-35 USD.... Human is complex or just darn it stupid :) -----> refer to myself and no one else, when its expensive i whin and whip myself around when its cheap i start to worry..... Gosh...

guys any advice on getting a second hand audigy2 soundcard? Anything to look out for? i saw some in a couple local it forum, going for like 18-35 USD.... Human is complex or just darn it stupid :) -----> refer to myself and no one else, when its expensive i whin and whip myself around when its cheap i start to worry..... Gosh...

anyone?

Well take a close so you can make sure there aren't any obvious defects, but the admin here has literally bought half a dozen Audigy 2's for aruod $30 or thereabouts without any problems I'm aware of. Notable defects would include burn (or melted) makrs on various chips...but honestly if they're selling them i wouldn't worry about it...

I've kinda been staying away from this thread because in my case my audio experience is much greater than my computer experience, and so its quite biased.

In short though, if you have decent speakers or decent headphones - you'll notice the difference with a sound card. Regardless of brand really, you'll hear it. If you can't, well that's fine too. Either you aren't sensitive to noise (which I'd envy, as it's a much more expensive hobby than computers) or your speakers/phones aren't particularly great.

In any case.

Some people talk about EAX, 24-bit Crystal-something-or-other, etc, etc. It's all EQ stuff as far as I'm concerned and just musses up the original signal. Every card out there has their own software, and honestly I doubt any card provides an absolutely pure signal. You just gotta go with what you can hear and what you like to hear. Some people like EAX, and thats fine...but other people can't stand it.

The Audigy 2 is an excellent start, you can't go wrong. :)

If you really get into audio, then step up to an Auzentech someday, but unless you have a good 5.1+ system, you won't know the difference.