Onboard sound or an expensive soundcard?... Worth it?...

Icez84

Hi, with the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra's. I first started out using Onboard sound (on the nF3 250Gb board). The sound was alright and my speakers still produced some decent sound, but I wasn't satisfied. I then upgraded to the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT VIA Envy HT-24bit SPU (Same SPU that's on the M-Audio Revolution soundcards). This was a true upgrade in sound (especially music). It really brought my speakers to life for music and movies and I was quite happy on that end. Although, gaming didn't really improve (as only EAX 2.0 was the max supported). But I thought going to the Audigy 2 was only moving sideways and I was worried about losing quality in Music/Movie playback. So I waited to see if anything would hit the market that boasted improvements in all three.

That's when I heard about the X-Fi soundcards released by Creative. I was pretty excited about the cards that were coming out, because I knew creative ruled in the gaming dept, and they were talking a pretty big game on the new X-Fi SPU that was on the card.

When I first saw the prices for the X-Fi I wasn't too happy however ($120+) for a soundcard sounded (pun intended) a little steap. I however took the plunge on the X-Fi platinum soundcard and was extremely happy with the end results.

In pretty much every dept. This card has outshined anything I've previously owned for PC Audio. Games sounded richer and Movies sounded fantastic as well. Although, I still give the Music category to the Prodigy 7.1LT just by a hair, this soundcard does that brilliantly.

Of course there is always a downside to the creative line. POOR DRIVERS/CUSTOMER SUPPORT. I was lucky and didn't have too big of issues with the X-Fi Drivers, I did initially have some OpenAL issues with Quake 4 in which it took Creative a while to figure out and fix.

Now a pretty decent driver set is out for the card and most of the bugs have been worked out. I'd highly suggest this card if you have your computer setup as your main Multi-media medium.

If you don't use it that much for movie watching or music listening then it might not be worth the somewhat large investment for it.

I hope this information has helped you. Good luck with your upcoming decision. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a ultra d board - what sound card would i need in terms of

like pci 3 or just pci - etc. - i have a old card but dosnt look like it would fit in the slots - also i would want a new one for this board anyway

but i have to say - the on board isnt that bad - i also have the Klipsch pro media 2.1 though - and it kicks butt - still sounds good with music - and movies - i do get noise and crackle with games sometimes and thats annoying - i will be upgrading to a new case and figure its a good time to add a sound card also - i do like my music and the sound card i am sure will sound better than on board - i been a klipsh fan for 20 years - i have a nice set for my home audio set up - they are powerful with a nice 300 watt amp - its all old school stuff - about 15 years old and still kick butt - anyway - back to the sound card

when looking for a card - what do i look for which would fit my board

thanks - which slot would it go in -

As of right now, only PCI versions exist for internal soundcards (PCI-E may be in the near future). If you're not a gamer, you might want to check out the Soundcards that are based off of the VIA Envy-HT SPU, I.E. Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1/7.1LT, M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1, ect. They are fantastic in the categories of music and movie playback. But if you do like to game, the X-Fi is the best choice, pick your flavor.

Remember, these cards are best for playback and not all that great for audio production. Although the X-Fi does have an Audio Creation mode, It wouldn't be my first choice for serious production. As both Creative and other 3rd party Soundcard manufacturers offer Audio production cards that are superior to that of the X-Fi in that area (for a less expensive price to boot).

thanks - but you lost me there - isnt a sound card suppose be for good music ? audio and should be just as good in games right ?

i want something that would make my music sound better first and then if it helps the games ok - also i didnt explain myself good the first time

i am not looking for a pci e sound card - i am not sure what slot i would use it - i have one pci e free - since i use one card - and i have i think 2 other slots free - those slots that are free on my board and not pci e -

they are shorter - what are they called - pci ? still like the older slots

i though it was a different name - thats why i want to make sure what ever sound card i get - it would fit on my board -

also not looking for a really top end card - but good sounding music

Try out the onboard sound and do a good job of cable management no cable should be close to the outputs- that is one of the biggest reasons for the hiss at least with the DFI. I prefer the onboad sound because the drivers are more user frendly and I need one of the options that are not on my creative card.

the on board isnt that bad - i am using it now almost a year this way

the klipsh made a big difference in sound - the reason being i am thinking about it because i am looking to upgrade my case and leaning on watercool so i figured i might add a card at that time -

who knows i see how much all the other stuff i get costs me and then decide - i can always add one in later - i was more concerned about that slots i have free to add the card too - they are still PCI slots right - ?

because they look shorter on this board compared to my old ABIT board

so i though maybe theres a different name for this slots and dont want to buy a card that dosnt work with my slots on my board -

Look, a good sound card, makes better output, that helps everything, more then that, there is upmixing (which makes it "surround") and for the x-fi crystilaztion (which makes it sound more "clear"), on top of these (which are for games, music and movies) there is the EAX. that is purely for games, and creative rules the market with it, the better the SB, the better the EAX, better positioning SOUND in games.

even more then that, there is MAX SOUNDS, which again, is for games, and as the better SB, the more sounds you can hear every second, again, only for games, and pretty much only for RTS and FPS...

and btw, all, but all Sound cards, are PCI. nothing else.

there are USB ones too, but they are usually more expensive.

hope i helped.

hi - thanks - yes you did help - :) -- i just look around for a SB card PCI and pick out one that i think would be ok for me with all around peformance and price - the speakers i have make the world of difference and with a decent sound card - it should be even better --

Which klipsch speakers do you have expresso? Promedia 5.1 Ultra's? 2.1 Promedias? Or the ever so sexy Klipsch iFi?

BTW: Anyone looking for an incredible 2.1 Speaker set should check out the Klipsch iFi, They have 'em for $150 @ Costco right now (when first released they retailed for $400).

What's really great about them, is it has a very quality subwoofer combined with 2 RSX-3 Satellite speakers (these speakers are from the Klipsch Reference line and are a very quality speaker). Along with a nice docking bay for your ipod, it makes it a very nice 2.1 solution. :)

EDIT: Sorry guys, they aren't at costco for $150.00. They are @ Microcenter for $150.00 sorry about that mistake.

hi - i belieave i have the pro media 2.1 - with the subwoofer -

they are great speakers period - i known Klipsh for a very long time

i have a nice set of Klipsh KG3 for my audio setup - i had them since new - about 15 years now -- i replaced just the main woofer once since i play it loud :) its amazing the sound you get from not such a big woofer to start with - so theres a new kind out now - i have to check it out - i paid mines about 120 or 140 - dont remember now - maybe 6 or 8 months ago -

Klipsh is the only way to go