Momma's Word of the Day (check first post every day!)

momma

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey momma,

going back to what u said about no one being intersted.

i think maybe alot of us dont realy understand. its just such a different thread than were used to.

for me personlly im very very bad at english, so i havnt posted as i can hardly read most the words, let alone put one in a sentence. finding a sentence for one of those words would take me like a eon. hehe

Perhaps if, in addition to updating the first post every day, you copied the definition and placed it in a post, more people would be inclined to check every day, what with automatic reply notification and all.

Good idea, thanks :).

99.January 25th, 2007con·se·quence, n.-1. Something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition. See synonyms at effect.

2. The relation of a result to its cause.

3. A logical conclusion or inference.

4. Importance in rank or position: scientists of consequence.

5. Significance; importance: an issue of consequence.

-First used in .1380, from Old French consequence "result," from Latin consequentia, from consequentem (nom. consequens), prp. of consequi "to follow after," from com- "with" + sequi "to follow.". Sense of "importance" (1602) is from notion of being "pregnant with consequences."

-Synonyms: aftermath, corollary, effect, end product, event, fruit, harvest, issue, outcome, precipitate, ramification, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, sequent, upshot, concern, concernment, import, importance, moment, significance, significancy, weight, weightiness

-Antonyms: insignificance, unimportance, worthlessness, beginning, cause, commencement, inception, origin, rise, source, start, root

-Consequence can be:

* Consequences, a game

* Consequentialism, in Philosophy concerns mainly about what would happen due to the act that is done and regards the act itself as being of less importance

* logical consequence, in logic a formula that follows from other formulas called its premises, either syntactically via a logical argument, or semantically by virtue of being satisfied]] by every model of the premises

* Consequence (rapper), an American rapper

-Listened to this story, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7004904 on NPR yesterday and the reporter discussed how consequence is one of the most powerful words in the English language.