Why do you shut off your PSU?

DragonTattooz

The only cold boot issue I’ve ever experienced on my board is when the keyboard power on doesn’t respond. This has only happened when I’ve unplugged it for whatever reason or used the rocker switch on the back of the PSU.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lighting can jump? Dude whatever you're smoking you gotta share bro. I thought you just unplug the power plug from the PSU and that's it? Just don't go outside when it's dark, windows shaking, raining cats and dogs, walking in 3" of rain with your cell phone calling your girlfriend along with your computer underneath your arm. :)

this is just trusting another piece of hardware...no sale, sorry. APC's have blown or backfired on many occasions.

Turn off the switch and unplug it from the wall

as for lightning jumping through your outlets to hit a machine a foot away...hahahahaha

smoke some more

I lived in Florida for 12 years, lightning strike capital of good ol' USA. I know the realities about lightning strikes and unplugging something from the wall is the best thing you can do.

Lightning hits a power line near your house, or god forbid your house itself, you will probably lose all your electronics because of a fire...but lightning isn't going to jump out of the wall and aim itself at every electronic part in your abode...

if lightning strikes anywhere close, no conditioner, no surge protector, no NOTHING is going to save your hardware. Nothing.

Even if you're inside a mine with your computer hooked up to wireless? :P

i dont shut it down,my mother does....

shes paranoid about 'negative charges' and wasting electricity :/

she thinks it thickens your blood and all other nasties...

as for wasting electricity.. i bet i can get more money looking for 1cents around the street...nobody picks them up.

I guess there's an upside to living in an area with no interesting weather after all! I was always just bored haha.

We get lightning about once or twice a year, and it's never been within 10km of us. We're also on a grid that pretty much never has power fluctuations or blackouts. We share the grid with a police station, a 911 call center, a firehall, and a hospital. (All within 10 square blocks or so)

I usually leave my rig on 24/7 and I've only got a wimpy cheap powerbar/surge protector that I paid about $10 for.

We actually had a transformer blow up right outside our house earlier in the year and it changed the phase of the current. The lights would turn on, but would only give out a dim brownish light. The pc had been running when it blew and it wouldn't start after they fixed the transformer and got our power back on. I unplgged it for 15-20 minutes and then tried again, and I didn't even lose any data! Worked like a charm, and still is today.

So I only flick the switch on the PSU to off when I need to move the pc, or open it for any reason. I then wait for the LEDs to go out before I pull the plug and get to work.

:D

if lightning strikes anywhere close, no conditioner, no surge protector, no NOTHING is going to save your hardware. Nothing.

except unplugging it (and this means ALL avenues of electricity...unplug your LAN/telephone as LAN cables are nice, fat, juicy transmission lines for electricty

This is true.

If you are leaving for the weekend or anytime there is a high probability of electrical storms, un-plug everything!

I never shut mine down.

That could have been the issue with my motherboard not working. I hope my CPU is still fine.

But with this computer I shut it down everynight, but there is no switch in the back, and we hardly get ground strikes here so I dont worry too much about it.