Why do you shut off your PSU?

DragonTattooz

I have noticed lately that a lot of people shut off their PSU when they shut down their computer. I have to wonder why? If you go to the support forums (not just here at DFI-Street) you will find that the large majority of people who experience cold-boot problems are people who shut off their PSU after shutting down the computer.

There are only 2 reasons that I can think of as to why people shut off their PSU:

1- To save money. If you are concerned about the extra 25¢ per month that it costs to run a couple of LEDs while the rig is shutdown, then you may want to consider leaving the realm of high-end computing.

2- To isolate the computer in case of a lightning strike or a line surge. Surge suppressor and/or UPS anybody?

Personally, I usually leave my rig running 24/7. And the only time I ever flip my PSU switch is when I'm actually working on the computer. I will flip the switch, then unplug it.

So, why do you shut off your PSU? Are there other reasons that I am not aware of?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of trusting a mechanically based surge protector. I usually unplug my rig from the wall, but I think the UPS/surge protector thing is a bit off. The ones that use breakers are basically mechanical switches. How fast can a switch move? A couple hundred feet per second? That's just not fast enough. Lightning moves at the speed of light. That means that even if the breaker is tripped, chances are that some (or all) of the strike got through. No good in my book. Besides.... if lightning can throw an arc a couple of miles from the ground to the clouds, then surely it can jump the 1/8" gap in the open switch inside the surge protector. I may be completely wrong, but it sure does make good sense to me.

I don't like the idea of trusting a mechanically based surge protector. I usually unplug my rig from the wall, but I think the UPS/surge protector thing is a bit off. The ones that use breakers are basically mechanical switches. How fast can a switch move? A couple hundred feet per second? That's just not fast enough. Lightning moves at the speed of light. That means that even if the breaker is tripped, chances are that some (or all) of the strike got through. No good in my book. Besides.... if lightning can throw an arc a couple of miles from the ground to the clouds, then surely it can jump the 1/8" gap in the open switch inside the surge protector. I may be completely wrong, but it sure does make good sense to me.

When there is a lighting storm I unplug ALL of my sensitive electronics. I guess if you live in an area where a lighting strike can happen at any moment it's a good idea to keep it unplugged...

Hey Dragon,

I was one of those people that you have been reading about in your excersion here at the "Street". Here is my thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=old_geekster

The reason that I turned off the PSU in the beginning is, because I am annal. If you give me a switch and don't say "Leave this switch in the ON position", I will turn if off every time!! This is what we are all taught from day one. You don't leave switches in the ON position when not in use. Dumb me.:P

Well, quite by accident, I finally realized that it was better to leave it ON. So, I asked some questions on several forums and was told that what I was doing is correct.

Of course, after discovering this revelation, my PSU shot craps and has been RMA'd.

There is one explanation for the record.

p.s. If I want to protect my rig from lightening, I will disconnect the power cord and the phone line. This is the only safe way.

Hey Dragon,

I was one of those people that you have been reading about in your excersion here at the "Street". Here is my thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=old_geekster

The reason that I turned off the PSU in the beginning is, because I am annal. If you give me a switch and don't say "Leave this switch in the ON position", I will turn if off every time!! This is what we are all taught from day one. You don't leave switches in the ON position when not in use. Dumb me.:P

Well, quite by accident, I finally realized that it was better to leave it ON. So, I asked some questions on several forums and was told that what I was doing is correct.

Of course, after discovering this revelation, my PSU shot craps and has been RMA'd.

There is one explanation for the record.

I don't remember if I posted in that thread, but I definitely followed it and it was one of the standouts that prompted me to start this thread.

EDIT: So, you really had no particular reason for shutting down your PSU? It was just a matter of there being an on/off switch, so you used it?

I dont turn mine off....

The only time I do is....when it's storming...then I flip the switch and yank the plug...

You're right...The only time I have ever had a cold boot issue is from the power supply bieng turned off....

The only time I ever shut-off the PSU via the rear power switch is when I am replacing a major component (CPU, motherboard, video card, RAM). Once I do turn the switch off, I hit the easy access power button on the board to dissapate any stored voltage from the caps.

I personally do not trust any surge protector past about 2 years considering the frequenet surges and brownouts in this area. My 1500VA UPS is connected to a APC SurgeArrest which is plugged into the wall. Once the surge protector hits the two year mark, out it goes for a new replacement.

The only time I shut t off is when Im working on it. I'v been considering shutting my pc off more often recently because my school's power has been pretty unstable. Random flashes and brown outs for no reason.

They had two transformers blow up and ever since the power has been unstable.

this guys right , my family friends an electrician and he said even unplugging everything and putting it a foot from the wall wont help, lightning can jump a long way from wall sockets. - the bottom line is ur screwed either way.

;)

unless u spend as much on some special gadget as you do on your computer.

me playing games and pising around ent mission critical so i ent wasteing the cash

The only time I ever shut-off the PSU via the rear power switch is when I am replacing a major component (CPU, motherboard, video card, RAM). Once I do turn the switch off, I hit the easy access power button on the board to dissapate any stored voltage from the caps.

This is also good because flipping the switch disconnects the power, but still leaves you with a ground connection, which is important in ESD prevention.

That is, unless you're bad like me and use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.

Guest RohypnoL

To clear my CMOS. I took my battery out of my mobo. I keep it out because i'm in an out of my BIOS a lot and It's so much easier to clear my CMOS if I accidentally smash in some un-bootable numbers. I just turn my PC off, flip the PSU switch, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on. Fast CMOS clear for ya.