Corsair 620w & 520w power supply previews/reviews (merged)

Angry_Games

Hey all, just wanted you to know that I received the Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620w modular power supply today.

Going to be putting it through the usual and unusual testing, as will davidhammock200, who also has one.

Here's some pics for ya for the moment, and btw, here are the specs right off the psu:

+3.3v @ 24A

+5v @ 30A

+12v-1 @ 18A

+12v-2 @ 18A

+12v-3 @ 18A

+5Vsb @ 3A

corsair650psu-1.jpg

corsair650psu-2.jpg

corsair650psu-3.jpg

corsair650psu-4.jpg

corsair650psu-5.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E104405....

Says it's made by Sea Sonic... is that good..?

I've always liked my Seasonic S12-600w

its super silent, and powerful enough for anything I've thrown at it

I've got it running a 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, and almost a TB of hdd's, all on air cooling, and it's dead silent

I don't know if the Corsair is a Seasonic (I never ask where they come from, I just test them to make sure they work lol), but I've no doubt this psu will work just fine.

I'm about to add the Antec units that they sent me to the recommended list as the Trio 650w Antec has been the workhorse for all of my watercooled (3.6Ghz!) E6600 Core2Duo overclocking.

I'll be testing the Corsair in this same setup but with a second watercooled X1900XT for Crossfire, and then post up the results.

I've got some nice Mushkin psu's coming too so pretty soon that Recommendations list will be a heck of a lot longer ;)

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to bump this and let it sticky for a little bit...as you can see from my sig this is my #1 psu for the moment ;)

I got to say I REALLY like it (and I hate modulars).

It's super quiet, super strong, and...well...as the days/weeks go by, it will remain as my main rig's psu which means it will be subjected to stress that not many machines ever live to talk about ;)

Well yesterday I received a Corsair HX520w power supply to test. The first thing I did when I got home from work was take some pictures of the box it came in. And let me tell you something it was very hard to not rip it all apart before I got home from work..lol

001mediumvb2.jpg

002mediumnm1.jpg

The Specs

• Type - ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91
  • Maximum Power 520W
  • Fans - 1 x 120mm ball-bearing fan
  • PFC - Active
  • Main Connector 20+4-Pin
  • SLI Support
  • Over Voltage Protection - YES
  • Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
  • Input Frequency Range - 50/60 Hz
  • Input Current - 9A
  • MTBF >100,000 Hours
  • Modular Cabling Support
  • Output +3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,[email protected],+5VSB@3A
  • Approvals - UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick
  • Connectors 1 x 20+4-pin ATX
    1 x 4-pin +12V
    1 x 8-pin EPS12V
    2 x PCI-Express
    8 x 4-pin peripheral
    2 x 4-pin floppy
    4 x SATA

Next I opened up the box and was very impressed with how well it was packed. The power supply was totally covered with a 1 inch piece of foam on all sides. In the box was a manual, power cable, zip ties, four screws, a cool little Corsair case badge, some sort of pouch and of course the power supply.

003mediumsv6.jpg

Inside the little pouch contained all the necessary power cables. The first thing I noticed is that the power cables weren’t sleeved, but they aren’t like normal un-sleeved cables. They actually look like IDE cables but not as many wires (of course). I figure this should make wire management easy and also help improve air flow.

004mediumol1.jpg

Ok, now for some pictures of the power supply.

005mediumcn3.jpg

006mediumtq7.jpg

007mediumqz0.jpg

I really like the flat black finish. Anyone that knows me knows I’d rather have something that’s stable and performs well then something that has flashing lights in it. Actually I think the flat black finish gives it that mean tuff look, like the way old cars look when only primed.

I’ve been real busy and was actually planning on testing this power supply in a few days but I couldn’t wait. So since I got off of work early today I decided to get to it and rip out my current power supply.

Installation was as easy as any power supply and I actually liked the flat power cables alot. They made it really easy for me to run them behind my mobo tray and put the case door over them. Sometimes with sleeved cables its hard to bend them the way you want them to go but with these it was very easy since they are very flexible.

Here's a picture of the power supply installed.

picture001mediumqb5.jpg

Your probably asking yourself where the heck are all the cables ?!?.. Like I said the flat cables made it very easy to hide them.

The first boot went perfect and right into windows. But something was wrong; I forgot to plug in my cd drive. lol

After powering down and double checking everything it was right back into windows for me. The first thing I did was start motherboard monitor just to get an idea of where the voltages were at.

voltagesidleul9.jpg

Now since im a firm believer that no software can read the voltages accurately I decided to test them with my multimeter.

Here are the readings I got from my multimeter at idle.

5.09v

12.08v

3.37v

They were super stable here but idle doesn’t stress the power supply good so I decided to run dual prime for a little while and see if they dipped at all.

Now since im slightly addicted to BF2 lately all you’ll get is about 20min's of prime for now, but I'll let it run all night when I go to sleep tonight.

voltagesloadlz0.jpg

Voltages tested with my multimeter at load.

12.08v

5.05v

3.36v

I'd say that’s pretty darn good!

In going to be leaving this in my main rig to see how it does for a while. But so far it seems like a VERY solid power supply that’s capable of running a nicely overclocked system.

EDIT..

Here's a 9 hour prime shot !

untitledmediumjk3.jpg

So far its running absolutely perfect !!!!!!!!!!!