Corsair 620w & 520w power supply previews/reviews (merged)

Angry_Games

I'd have to see some evidence where this has been proven under some reasonable conditions before I would comment. And, he makes a blanket statement about something his company chooses not to do. However, our connectors lock in and don't wiggle. And, in general molex type connectors are obviously an accepted industry standard. So, why would having a properly implemented extra molex suddenly be a terrible idea that is going to cause your computer to fail?

This is an oversimplification but, we don't take our product development lightly. And, we had a LONG period of R&D and QA before our supplies were ever released. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with our PSUs. And, mine are all running OCed systems, 2 in SLI and I see no problems at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the HX 620 and from the looks of the build and the 'real' power numbers, not just peak values I am going to be very happy with it, would have been nice to see all of the cables braided and covered... but I think the flat profile will go a long way in helping to route them under the main board and down the side of the drive cages, so I might change my mind in the long run, Its better not to have to see them at all :)

Going with Seasonic was a good move IMO.

I'm just playing devil's advocate to get ideas from people who both know more than I do on the PSU front. I have a skepticism of what he said, and the defenses for what he said. I want to go modular in the future.

I guess it depends who you buy from. Maybe he's referring to how rosewill would do modular PSU? Thanks for the clarification, yellowbeard. :)

Thasp, I would not say that I know a lot about computer PSU's but I understand Ohms Law and have done a fair bit of electrical work, and yes, every time you put a connector in a run of cable there will be a loss, but as for the "in most cases those pins are only touching maybe 10% or 30% of their surface area" I would like to see some more on this as well, because TBH its not something I have ever seen, well not to any extent to say that, In 20+ years of working with motor vehicle electronics (12 volt hi amp and loads of connectors in harsh environments), I have seen it and yes, crap connectors are just that, but he is also applying the same logic to the connectors that are on 'every' PSU connector, because just how do the wires get power to everything ???

I've put together a few things so far, and since I can never remember the color code for resistors I measure them instead. I've never seen such a small connector add 30% resistance if it was not supposed to.. that is insane, which is why I had to ask.

A friend decided to get corsair 520w model, he doesn't have the rest of his setup yet so he's letting me play with it to test for DOA, after teasing my uncanny ability to kill half the components I own.

At best, I'll post "it POSTed, it primed, it conquered", I don't want to risk messing someone else's stuff up when my hand slips on the multimeter pins. :D I have high expectations after being constantly slapped in IRC for my skepticism of corsair's quality over the past two years, when computer parts came up in discussion.

Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a tryout. I don't have SLI or even one powerhungry card, but I do have the 3.6 GHz core 2 duo and the opteron 165/2.7 GHz/1 gig of DDR500 that has eight hard drives. I'll have them all move files around to each other at the same time, while the opteron runs dnetc. :D

Just got my bits the other day but recieved a faulty HDD so waiting for an RMA. My question is.... Is it ok to run the cables directly behind the motheboard without say a motherboard tray to seperate them?

• 3 months later...

Perhaps it is stupid of me to revive this thread, but I had it in my bookmarks and came across it while doing housecleaning, I never did get back on how the PSU did. Not that anyone is waiting on my response(you'd be crazy to ;)), but I said I'd post how it did.

I had the 2 HD raid 0 array and the 6 HD LVM array all move around files until each HD was spinning up, I also set the moves in different terminals at the same time so they'd spin up at the same general time, while running folding at 2.85 GHz on that machine, and it did not give me a "kernel panic VFS not syncing" bull crap nonsense like the 500w antec smartpower I had with the machine before it got the truepower 2.0 550 it has now.