Okay P5wdg2 pro in the house, lets see what it can really do..

raju

damn impressive, 8 hour stability at 3.807ghz

very impressive...but my only point (and it isn't of course intended to be a slam) is that it is so far only 200Mhz faster than the Infinity (that I've stopped overclocking for the moment...but don't honestly expect much faster out of it).

This is good in the sense that it is 200mhz faster in the right hands...but is 200Mhz equal to the hype that I've seen going around about it?

What I am more interested in, is how it will do with a subsequent bios update...if it does 3.9 and 4.0 (wish you had a retail chip, not an ES) easily, then that will be the tipping point (and a warning to DFI's mobo guys they better get on it because we just can't have no Asus board overclocking better than our DFI boards lol)

Good job so far, I'm still subscribed!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(and a warning to DFI's mobo guys they better get on it because we just can't have no Asus board overclocking better than our DFI boards lol)

Well u know what i m playing with right now.. but gime the Lanparty if u wana see some scores on the DFI board, with all due respect for the Infinity, the Lanparty is the one i want to play with... ;)

ps if u r still using skype i ll be glad to share the initial thoughts.. putting it all down on email it s gona take some time..

still waiting for a lanparty conroe board

the infinity is very expensive here in Portugal.....208€.....something like 245 dollars....

i have seen a lot o ppl with the ds3 gygacr*p doing 450 fsb...but only for 1m pi shots

from what i can remember from the nf4.....arsus was doing 250 htt....2T....lol....then the lanparty came and after a few bios adjustments was perfect.....300 htt was easy to achieve

i admit

i am biased

dfi fanboy

:cool:

nice results raju

very impressive...but my only point (and it isn't of course intended to be a slam) is that it is so far only 200Mhz faster than the Infinity (that I've stopped overclocking for the moment...but don't honestly expect much faster out of it).

This is good in the sense that it is 200mhz faster in the right hands...but is 200Mhz equal to the hype that I've seen going around about it?

What I am more interested in, is how it will do with a subsequent bios update...if it does 3.9 and 4.0 (wish you had a retail chip, not an ES) easily, then that will be the tipping point (and a warning to DFI's mobo guys they better get on it because we just can't have no Asus board overclocking better than our DFI boards lol)

Good job so far, I'm still subscribed!

yeah bud, you know what though, I've only had the board a few nights. I work 12 hours as a courier rifling out between 70-100 stops a day. Getting that out of it in 3 days (not really 3 days) is not bad at all. Your approval means a lot to me.

The hype you were seeing, is all about the fsb and Superpi abilities, it is possible to run single runs a lot faster than Orthos, that's all the hype was, and still is. You have to rememeber there is a market for that, it's not massive but it does exist.

You are right it's only 200mhz, and that is a perspective to consider. On the plus side it can do this 1:1, which is the best I have seen at this speed on Orthos. To the best of my knowledge I have not seen anyone using conventional water cooling rack up 8 hours of Orthos over 3.8g and 3dmark2001 with a E6600, even an ES. Maybe they have not tried, cause if I can manage it, I'm sure the real veteran overclockers can.

My take at this moment is this, the only people that are going to see any more speed than this for 24/7 Orthos on any motherboard (Asus - Lanparty or not), are those with superior cooling to the average user. They will need to posess a very good Conroe that will overclock on lower volts than most.

3.8-4.0ghz is the absolute maximum I expect too see anyone using unchilled water. Some X6800's may just pip this. Running Orthos for 8 hours is never anything your gonna see much outside this place (this is not a disprespectful comment at all, you know that), the hype will always come from Superpi, because a lot of forums are driven by other means and use that as their criteria.

Which side of the fence do I sit on?

Well 8 hours Orthos requires more skill/patience to get stable, and will knock at least 100-150mhz off a 1M Superpi time and some speed off your ram.

Superpi can be fun when you're chasing milliseconds, but for the core user it's not important. It can demand skill too.

I have flexibility for both, to me they're just friends and associates having different kinds of fun.

Conclusion: for abolute stability I trust and use DFI street methods. But I have my fun with Superpi too..

(This is not meant as a slam) What we need from the Lanperty this time round is the right options for the overclocker, not just masses of them. The CFX3200-DR was a great board (I had one and loved it), the only niggle was the excess of options that really should have been auto set in the bios code,, take the Southbridge hpet as an example. The documentation was insufficient to provide guidelines to the use of some of these functions (recommendations on their useage was spread by word of mouth), which for a while left even the most hardcore overclockers bemused. This is the only niggle and that board was truly legendry.

You know what ,my respect has doubled for you on this thread, no other manufacturer forum would have let it run. I trust you found me to be as neutral as a neutral can be, considering the excitement at an extra 200mhz.. You know I love DFI, but for me and my position any hardware that clocks well will do.

Feel free to surf on over to my site and join bud, looking forwards to some Lanparty entries by you into the leagues when you get one, I shall of course return the favour. I will continue to support DFI Street as best as my limited intellect can allow, both here and on my forum when I get some Lanparty boards.

Respect

Raja

hey man, I'm down with ya

Robert is a little concerned that we allow an asus 'review' or 'preview' at a DFI forum, but my personal feeling is that if everyone knows how good some other board is, then it will spur DFI's engineers and decision makers to make the next board even better so there's no question that DFI is the best overclocker

Tommorow I will start working with Memset, I may have found a few of the settings allow a little more headroom for overclocking.

In the meantime, using bios I am working at the same clock speed, but this time running 4:5 instead. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the 3dmark 2001 at the end if it passes.

We are just approaching the halfway mark...

checkitys8.th.jpg

Conroe thrives on bandwidth, latency seems not so important...

Let's hope this gets through, then I will try using some memset settings to get a little more fsb at a lower divider.

Unfortunatley I have not managed to secure the 0005 bios yet, but I am trying.....

regards

in my testing so far, at same cpu mhz, I've not found there to be much difference at all when using different memory bandwidth's (other than DDR400, which is about equal to the DDR150 divider on the NF3/NF4...but 533, 667, and 800 are all relatively close at same cpu mhz just like the 166, 180, and 200 dividers are on the A64)

I think we've finally seen Intel produce a cpu that isn't much interested in memory bandwidth and is very interested in cpu mhz performance (hey...just like A64's!)