Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

ok thanks - i think i may try that one out - i am looking for what ever would bring the temps down as much as they can get - so far i hear a few say it brings them down about 10c - thats alot for doing nothing really - plus i will mount a fan to it also - the right size that fits it so it looks neat -

good thing i found this post - i was going to order the evercool which is nice - but less problems with this one and cools better too :)

oh one more thing - do i get the reg. one or the SLI model

i am not running SLI -- just one card - is there a difference between the two or just a different angle because of SLI ?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh one more thing - do i get the reg. one or the SLI model

i am not running SLI -- just one card - is there a difference between the two or just a different angle because of SLI ?

The difference between the two is that the non-sli version sticks straight up whereas the SLI version is offset. For non-Expert nf4 LanParty boards, you want the SLI version as the non-SLI will clash with the video card.

For Expert LanParty boards, however, the non-SLI is the one you want as the PCIe slots are further apart and the unit will fit in between the cards.

wait i am confused now - lol - i have a ultra d board as in my sig -

with the 6800 xtreme pci e - - which do i get - the reg. one or the SLI one --

i am not running sli but if i get the sli version - in case i add another card in the future - its not in my plans but if it dosnt make a difference i would be ahead of the game by being ready ?-

i wonder if i can do that SLI mod to my chip - and make it sli ?

wait i am confused now - lol - i have a ultra d board as in my sig -

with the 6800 xtreme pci e - - which do i get - the reg. one or the SLI one --

i am not running sli but if i get the sli version - in case i add another card in the future - its not in my plans but if it dosnt make a difference i would be ahead of the game by being ready ?-

i wonder if i can do that SLI mod to my chip - and make it sli ?

The SLI designation on the HR-05 is misleading. It really doesn't matter how many video cards you have but rather simply which one will fit. On the Ultra-D I'm almost positive you want the SLI. That's the board where the PCI slots are layed out x1, x16, x4, x16, and then two PCI slots right?

i belieave thats the lay out - i have to open the side door and double check - so i guess i cant go wrong if i get the SLI version right ?

i wont be ordering for about another week or two - i have to decide on a case first - then watercooling -- leaning on dangerden since they say its the best here - and i want to get all the little mods for ligths and holding all the wires in place - etc. - but i think i have to get a full tower to do this - which i was trying to avoid - but cant have it both ways

i cant see in my case right now to tell you about the slots -- but what you mentioned sounds right - i can picture it in my mind and remember the bios -

so thats why i am confused also - since the older boards had pci slots -

now i have this x16 - x4 x1 etc. - what are those slots used for ?

the x16 for video pci e - ok - but the others - what can you use those slots for - what hardware - -

i belieave thats the lay out - i have to open the side door and double check - so i guess i cant go wrong if i get the SLI version right ?

Well, if you had an Expert board the SLI version wouldn't really work as well.

the x16 for video pci e - ok - but the others - what can you use those slots for - what hardware - -

RAID cards and whatnot. Basically just random things.

ok- thanks for your help - i think i am about to get some rest for the night now - so i guess i need the SLI version ?

i have a few weeks before i order somethings - but i like to start ordering what i think i will use and need - sort of get things moving

thanks again -- good night :)

Just ordered the SLI version, should be getting it this week! I have a 7800GTX which has a rectangular black heatsink, that gets REALLY HOT, sitting right on top of the chipset fan!

My chipset temp frequently hits 50-55 so I'm hoping this makes a difference.

I'll post my install experience - however it turns out.

yeah - post back and us know how the temps are - i am going to order that one also - but i am curious - i see another one the thermaltake website that all copper - called extreme spirit 2 -- is that a upgraded version in copper ? did anyone try or test that one out ?

ok so i have just received my hr-05 looks great but i have a few questions;

1, Does that retention bracket really hold it when the case is upright??

2, The surface is far from shiney, should i lap it???

photo0037xu3.th.jpg

3, has anyone used the supplied thermal material or has everyone just used arctic silver/ceramique ?

cheers in advance

s1ick