1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • My mommy told me not to crack another core :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went ahead and scalped the old Venice I'm not using anymore, just to practice. It went pretty well.

Actually my first experience was with a very old socket 423 P4 that used to crash every 20 minutes. This was a couple months or so ago. I drilled both the P4 and its IHS and put them on my keychain. Then a few weeks later I decided to try it on a s939 chip, so I (more carefully this time) cut it off the Venice. I didn't have any double-edged razor blades so I used a single-edged blade. It worked alright, and I didn't nick the PCB at all so I'm fairly sure the chip still works, but it was a little tricky just getting the razor in initially because I think they're a little thicker than double-edged razors. If/when I lid my Opteron 165 I'll probably run to the store and get myself a double-edged razor.

• 3 months later...

I got my mobile 4000+ naked, and i use the clip-on xp-90. I made shims out of electric tape on 4 corners (like old xp style cpu's) and it didn't crush the core. I did a test "seat" 1st to make sure it made good contact. I gotta re-seat it though as i think i might have a little too much AS5 on there...should be a little cooler than it is,

@2.8ghz, it never goes over 46ºC prime95 load, but i want to be able to hit 3.0 ghz in the cooler seasons. Then clock back down to 2.8 when summer comes. Thanks again for the advice, Reelfiles.

Having ddr500 memory helps a lot because of the incompatibility of 2gb's of ram on a single channel board, the mobile cpu and infineon memory chips. Still haven't nailed down exactly where the incompatibility is.

Hmmm... void a perfectly good warranty for a negligible increase in performance (after better cooling)? yeah it's still on...

If there was no warranty... yeah I'd probably do it, just because I could :-) other than that there's not much point... but that's most of "modding and o'cing"... just because you can...

Hmmm... void a perfectly good warranty for a negligible increase in performance (after better cooling)? yeah it's still on...

If there was no warranty... yeah I'd probably do it, just because I could :-) other than that there's not much point... but that's most of "modding and o'cing"... just because you can...

Lol, most people here are in the overclock scene, and since overclocking voids the warranty, it's a moot point.

Which makes me wonder if AMD can figure out whether or not the chip has been overclocked if they receive it at the factory for replacement...

Ofcourse I stripped mine! :D AMD 64 3200+ Sempron. :P But I've put it back on since there wasn't good contact w/ my Zalman Res. 2 WC, temps rose so.. I used the tutorial on this site! :D Wonder if I'll strip my C2D E6600 too...

A lot of peeps used to complain about the difference in temps between the two cores. One core would fail Prime/Orthos quicker than the other and a large increase in vcore was needed to get the cpu to play ball. Apart from lowering cpu temps, the biggest advantage of going naked is to get BOTH cores to the same temp. That way they both clock the same at the same vcore, which in turn gives you a much higher clock. It can be quite significant, not just 100mhz. Mines naked and both cores are within 1c to 2c of each other, not the usual 9c to 12 c difference. Anyway, what's a warranty :nod:

• 2 months later...