Hiper

doodle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, i'd really appreciate a full answer from someone more knowledgeable, but from what i read in the reccomended powersupply section, it's good for mid-high range setups, but not for really high, and it's only moderately good at SLI.

please give more responses because it seems like a great deall..

ps. i hear that modular supplies, like this one aren't that good performance wise

there are plenty of articles on forum that say that aren't good....but here is my proof of why they arent the best choice for high end computers

a modular power supply may give you a slight (even significant) drop in voltage because there is resistance that exists between the actual modular interface and the cable itself

simple as that.....and from that you can go on that drops in voltage will cause instability and so on....

I will take my 2 OCDB entires using the Hiper PSU and say it's a decent power supply. I have used it for almost a year in various PCs and have yet to find anything that leads me to believe it's not up to par. I will look forward to your findings, Happy Games.

there are plenty of articles on forum that say that aren't good....but here is my proof of why they arent the best choice for high end computers

a modular power supply may give you a slight (even significant) drop in voltage because there is resistance that exists between the actual modular interface and the cable itself

simple as that.....and from that you can go on that drops in voltage will cause instability and so on....

Yes, I've read many of those articles, but they are (IMHO) NOT proof.

In not so much as one of them (including the PCP&C interview) have I seen any actual test data showing how much voltage (if any) is lost.

Perhaps someone has done this, but I have yet to see it, and would really like to. (Any links, anyone?)

My "gut feeling" is that any such loss is negligible, and any instability caused is by far overshadowed by a poor (ie weak) PSU that would show similar results if non-modular cables are used.

Lets not forget that there is not one PSU on the approved list that is NOT at LEAST "half-"modular" - in that the wires connect to motherboard and drives with conectors that are similar to "full modular" wiring.

Has anyone seen a boost to stability by soldering wires from a PSU to the motherboard?

It would seem to follow, would it not?

Also, no one seems to be concerned about longer length wire looms, or extensions - yet these should have the same effect on resistance and voltage.

I truly CAN be convinced of a "modular problem", but I just am not there yet.

OK, sorry for the rant ... back on track now. :)

And as to Hyper PSU's I have seen some reviews which have shown above normal voltage fluctuations on scopes and multimeters, so I personally avoid them right now.

As you can see from my sig, i run two Hiper 580 modulars. Both are rock solid and the one on my Nf2 rig is stressed a hell of a lot more than the one on my Nf4 rig with. The only voltage fluctuation i see is running Prime on my NF2, 12.1v to 12.03 under load(measured with a DMM). As for the connectors, on the Hiper's they are screw locks, which are the same as we use on mixing desks at gigs every day of the week(they are also used for electical connections on aircraft worldwide). If there was a problem with them i think i would have noticed it in the last 30 years or so, there's also an outside chance that Boeing, Lockhead, British Aerospace, ect ect might have picked up on it as well, don't ya think?

As you can see from my sig, i run two Hiper 580 modulars. Both are rock solid and the one on my Nf2 rig is stressed a hell of a lot more than the one on my Nf4 rig with. The only voltage fluctuation i see is running Prime on my NF2, 12.1v to 12.03 under load(measured with a DMM). As for the connectors, on the Hiper's they are screw locks, which are the same as we use on mixing desks at gigs every day of the week(they are also used for electical connections on aircraft worldwide). If there was a problem with them i think i would have noticed it in the last 30 years or so, there's also an outside chance that Boeing, Lockhead, British Aerospace, ect ect might have picked up on it as well, don't ya think?
AFAIK, those connectors are unique to the Hiper Type R's, no other modular PSU that I know of uses them.

Score 10pts. for Hiper! :)

AFAIK, those connectors are unique to the Hiper Type R's, no other modular PSU that I know of uses them.

Score 10pts. for Hiper! :)

Yes they are unique to to the Type R's, and as they are made in the UK i'm going to stick up for them(makes a change from Stateside psu's getting all the glory):D