How many languages can you speak?

jazzpicker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL for some American born English speaking people, English is like a second language.

My Buddy Don Yesso, is the only English speaking character on an English language program airing on TV in America to have subtitles. His character on Franks Place spoke with a New Orleans "Yat" accent where a raw oyster is pronounced "roy erstyer" and popcorn is "popkern". Priceless!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092354/

Like petercintn, I was raised in a house that spoke English and Cajun French on a daily basis.

I've kept my French workable but lost most of the German, Spanish and Portuguese I'd learned after high school for traveling and work.

I don't know why, but in school I despised even the English classes. Nevertheless life has proved me wrong and fortunately my interest became a lot stronger by time, so now I switch between four languages on a daily basis: Swedish (native), English, Russian and Spanish; French though seems to have been completely flushed out of my neurons. My Spanish has to improve though; I manage, but lack fluency and grammar.

i can speak 3 languages

English

Technospeak (NOT that l337-speak crap...just good old techno babble that makes momma hold her ears and scream "NINER NINER NINER!")

bs (everyone can speak bs, but only a select few of us are REALLY fluent in it to where we can not only detect almost all dialects of it, but we can become fluent in it instantly after hearing it)

I learned English, French + Latin during school time for several years, forgot most of my french skills since school was over. The only ways to improve my English is during fairs

(I have to pay the university, but it´s nice to work for Logitech!), my spare time job (Alamo-Car-Rental) and surfing the "Street".

Understanding written posts or talking is much easier for me then writing down my own thoughts... I have always worries that I can/will write things wrong and people won´t get an idea about them. It would be so nice if there were no need for me to translate every single sentence like mentioned by ReelFiles.

Gipse

Took Spanish in high school. It quickly became my time for taking a nap. Mrs Beaton

said, "You never know when you might need it". Of course, I knew better.

Until I got stationed in Spain for three years.

Then I had fun learning it. I'd meet tourists who had studied it for years and after my

being there for only 6 months, I was translating for them.

Its come in handy and been the basis for lots of fun and meeting new people, even helping

them out sometimes.

With the wife at the doctor's, waiting for her to come out, a Hispanic lady at the counter wasn't

being understood so I offered, politely, that I saw she was having a problem and asked if I could help.

It worked out well for her, the nurse then could take her history and get her

specific problem written down.

Then spent two years in Portugal. Became fluent in that. In that I was the only Portuguese

speaker on that small base, I was the one who was called to talk to the police when they

were looking for one of our guys. I didn't enjoy that part of it.

Then I had people say, "You learned Portuguese becasue you speak Spanish". I countered

that they should ask anybody with a hispanic name tag on how much Portuguese they spoke.

Point is, if an effort wasn't made, it wasn't going to happen.

I get a kick out of the guy who will be fluent in two years in two languages. Best of luck to you.

Do not pass up any opportunity to visit the country of the language you're studying.

Go now. That will show you how much work you actually have to do.