Mechanical Door

hey i got the case in the pic bellow but in green and last night i thought it would be cool to get the door that covers the drives and on off switch to open mecnanicly with a motor or somethin of the sort . What u think of this idea ?? got any pointers??

I would use a servo not the electric motor it would turn to fast you would need to make a gear train to slow it down. Just go to your local hobby store and get a slow moving servo, then go to radio shack and get two roller switches one will shut it off when the door gets to your pre set point(it hits the roller switch) the other to shut the door off when it's closed. Also another point you need to decide how you want the door to open, will it swing or will it rid on a rail moving out and in. My suggestion is if it swings go to walmart and get the cheapest bayblade you can find or else maybe a replacement bayblade start cord, they have nice gear teeth on them so you could hook one end to the door and the other would be fed through to the gear you will put on the server. Thats the way I would go, simplest route, just remember think KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. Also to make it even cooler, you get the cheapest RC car you can find (the kind that go only forward and reverse) about 9 bucks or less, and you could take the remote controls out and wire them up to your servo (the car side of remote) then take the controler side and take out what you need. take your Keyboard apart or make a section to add to your keyboard and put your RC control handle in your keyboard. You can open and close the door from right there. You could also take that one step further and get a cheap forward reverse and all direction RC and hook your cdrom drives up so one opens when you hit the left turn handle and the other opens when you hit the right turn handle, you open the door with the forward and close it with the reverse. Anyway good luck.