Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I went to that 120MHz setting only because it was one of the settings that Happy had used in one of his OCDB entries ... I guess I could go back down to 100MHz and start over ...BTW since I changed back to 360FSB, she's doing fine on another Orthos run ... about 2 hours and 15 mins now. One other question, is Orthos supposed to be on a blend of cpu and RAM? And if so, is there any custom settings you guys are using?

For comparison sake and OCDB continuity everybody runs blend just like you are doing...I run about 15 minutes of small fft's then another 15 minutes of large fft's before I hit blend.

My avatar is showing...how many beers you had man???? :P

Avatars aside, OldGuy ... do you have your C1E enabled or disabled?

Right at this very moment, no...I'm doing a temperature comparison between my Freezone and my Monsoon on two rigs so I need to have it disabled for the comparo....

Techno brought up a point earlier about C1E and I'm of the mind that if it works I'll use it till told otherwise. Cool and Quiet, if I'm not mistaken, was partially software driven. And, again, if I'm not mistaken it had issues whilst overclocking so the norm on AMD64 rigs was to just disable that right off the bat. You can see how DFI pretty much followed that rule by disabling that function by default on all of their bios updates.

C1E appears to be strictly at the CPU/BIOS level and on this particular board it seems to work very well, at least for me. I would say for mild overclocks it is something to leave enabled and for wild overclocks it should be disabled to eliminate it from the equation of possible instability.

These Connies are new and I'm sure as time goes by a general consensus will form as to wether or not this function has any possible hazards to our overclocking endeavors, be it fried cpu's or instability...hopefully the negative would be instability and not fried cpu's :eek:

Right at this very moment, no...I'm doing a temperature comparison between my Freezone and my Monsoon on two rigs so I need to have it disabled for the comparo....

Techno brought up a point earlier about C1E and I'm of the mind that if it works I'll use it till told otherwise. Cool and Quiet, if I'm not mistaken, was partially software driven. And, again, if I'm not mistaken it had issues whilst overclocking so the norm on AMD64 rigs was to just disable that right off the bat. You can see how DFI pretty much followed that rule by disabling that function by default on all of their bios updates.

C1E appears to be strictly at the CPU/BIOS level and on this particular board it seems to work very well, at least for me. I would say for mild overclocks it is something to leave enabled and for wild overclocks it should be disabled to eliminate it from the equation of possible instability.

These Connies are new and I'm sure as time goes by a general consensus will form as to wether or not this function has any possible hazards to our overclocking endeavors, be it fried cpu's or instability...hopefully the negative would be instability and not fried cpu's :eek:

Excellent explanation, as always my friend. Thank you. I am still going strong on the Orthos ... 3hrs, 20mins and counting ... would love to break that 367FSB barrier and have a stable 3.4Ghz OC ... :rolleyes:

I just realized my temperature comparo may well be shot....at least for the 416 X 8 part of it :) My Geils are DDR2 1000 and my Corsairs are DDR2 800 Heheheheheheeeee...might be a very short Orthos run. Knew I shouldn't have bought these damned things. Cost almost the same as my Geils. Oh well...if you wanna fugg around with lots of different hardware and ya gotta have a another set of memory in your hot little hands ASAP, the only choice is local and whatever they may have...

Is there any way to tweak the RAM's frequency other than what is listed in this BIOS? I mean can you slowly increase the frequency like you can the FSB? I don't see any where you can, but it would be nice if you could, right?

Yes, it would be nice to be able to tweak the ram independently but not possible on this board...but...I'm pretty sure the RD600 has this capability. We are stuck with the ratios that we have. Which aint all that bad IMO...consider how fast and high we are running with DDR2 these days. Trying to eek out DDR 600 on good TCCD was always a challenge (still is :) ). Now we are running daily at DDR2 800 and above with ease at only slightly looser timings (depending on your memory). Stuff just keeps gettin' faster and we still can't get enough...the in door hot rod culture is the here and now :)

AK - Hopefully on Monday, maybe Tuesday, I will have a DB entry for 3400MHz, so you can get an idea of what to do in terms of BIOS settings to try and get higher. Your temps are much better than mine even though youre pumping in more volts than I am... I need to get an intake fan (currently the side and rear are exhaust, front vent intake) which will have a 120mm, ~55cfm intake up there, so it should be ok.

Keep an eye out for my DB entry... I hope it helps.