The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

The 64-bit can be a nightmare to install any hardware with unsigned drivers.

(MBM5. core temp, A64 Info, etc, etc)

The 5600 is RC1 and should have best support. But he 5728 is actually pretty damn nice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are using RAID 0 you are going to need to start the installation from an existing x64 Edition installation or you'll take a gun to your head.

If on a single drive you'll be OK but remember you are going to need a 64-bit version on many drivers.

what is the easiest way to dual boot this...I havent tried doing a dual boot...

I have a 160gig HD (SataII) with no partitions... will it be easy to do on this drive or should I install it on a IDE drive and configure it...

I wouldnt mind trying a dual boot on the SLI-DR rig...

I use a spare rig for Vista but since I am mostly on this rig I figure why not...?

Assuming 160G SATA II drive on the NF4 Controller.

I set up XP on a 35G Partition, then created a 2nd 35G Partition for x64 Edition, a 3rd 35G partition for Vista x32, and a 4th partition for drivers and storage.

You can crate the partitions when you set up XP, just don't choose "Quick Format using NFTS" after creating the partitions.

Then I chose the XP 32 partiton (1st one) set up XP pro.

Downloaded the 120 day free trial of x64 Edition from Mucrosft, set up that on 2nd Partition after burning, and then did the same with the latest Vista RC1 (install booting from the Vista DVD and it will ask you what partition to install on).

Don't use the Upgrade method as it will overwrite your XP Pro or x64 Edition install (depending on version).

Wham, Bam, thank you Mam, triple booting!

When loading windows it will always default to the Vista install.

(Windows XP and x64 Edition use the boot.ini file while Vista uses bcdedit.)

You can download Vista Boot Pro http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/ and it will let your default start up OS be either of the Earlier Windows versions (XP or x64 Edition) or remain using Vista as default OS to boot.

Either way it will give you 30 seconds to select which OS to boot before automatically starting up.

I used Vista Boot Pro to shorten this to 10 seconds.

I am waiting for a new hard drive to arrive from Newegg tomorrow, so I can backup my RAID-0 array before trying this new build. I am looking forward to giving this build a spin, since RC1 didn't work so well for me.

WGA strikes Vista, Office 2007

(http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=143)

Just a heads up, I've heard about this a few times now, since the public release of build 5600.

I also wanted to remind everyone that build 5728 might not be as stable as build 5600 (RC1).

From the download page for Windows Vista build 5728:

(http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/r...wnload-5728.htm)

"This page includes information to help you download a special test build of Windows Vista. This build (5728) has a number of improvements and updates from RC1, but has not been put through the same internal testing process as RC1 and therefore may be unstable in certain installations. We are making this release available for a limited time only (and only by download) in order to get broad distribution and testing in a variety of PC configurations. Please note: This build may not have the same level of support or servicing via Windows Update, and you may not be able to upgrade to the final version of Windows Vista. To continue, please use the links below to start the download. Otherwise, please click here to access the download for Windows Vista RC1 (build 5600).

Installation notice: Users of Toshiba models M400, M4, and M5 should choose to do a clean install (not upgrade) of this build."

same page as I orioginally linked to.

It seems MORE stable to me. I like it. (Even the LP-B likes it)

Users that "Upgrade" their install of Vista should remove Office 32007 Beta prior to the Upgrade.

I'm still using Office XP on my installations (got enough bloat already) and had no problems with an "Upgrade".

The "Upgrade" option takes MUCH longer than a "new" install.

I use Vista Boot Pro to remove the previous Vista install before a fresh install.

Hope I made sense.

Office 32007 beta....I really dont think I'll live long enough to get that one....

once you get out of the way back machine send me a copy ok...;)

I still have my LP-B running..maybe I'll try it on that...

I wonder if it will like that 2x1gb of crucial ram I got....(It's got square Ic's....I have no idea what they are...???)

Well only been using Vista for about a week and I love it. Its an absolute pleasure to use

I instaled BF2 without a hitch but as I have an extra sound card as my recording device and I had'nt configured it, BF2 Voip setup came up and I just cancled it. So Vista thought this was an error with the installation and wanted to send an error report and I thought why not I'll do my bit.

The next day and first thing was a message from MS telling me a soulution has been found to the problem and pointed me to a website to redownload the file and install it manually. That was kinda nice seeing that most error reports you send just disappear and are never heard from again.

If you havent seen Vista yet you are missing something. Soundx98's post are pretty damn informative thanks dude. I should have gave it more than a 10Gb partition but I took the PageFile off which bought me a little space.

Kind words Branjo and very much appreciated.

Sometimes I wonder if it comes across like "oldfaht babeling" (and then we'd have to walk 10 miles through the snow to school after the morning chores) :)

So you know.

You CAN resize partitons from within Vista.

Control Panel>classic View>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management>drop down menu and use "Expand" or "Shrink"

vistapartitionsiw5.th.jpg