The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Oh it's painless without the RAID :)

But isn't RAID almost always a hassle setting up?

That 20G is gonna go awful fast.

i know it's painless without raid but then i have a second 150gig raptor sitting around with nothing to do.

yes, raid is always difficult to get working and it really shouldn't be at this stage of the game. i don't know who to be more disappointed with, nvidia or microsoft. at least hopefully with vista we can finally ditch our floppy drives.

btw, even with xp i always end up having to use the drivers from the legacy folders rather than the actually new released ones in order to get the drives recognized.

currently installing on a single raptor actually since it let me even though i have a raid setup enabled. gonna see how far it lets me go.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha. it let me go to the first restart and then wouldn't boot. it's telling me to boot off the cd and try a repair.

edit - aww it wouldn't take the raid drivers. oh well back to the 20gig idea. vista is easier to install then xp. the annoying part is that i've typed in the key at least 7 times now.

Just use the nForce drivers you use with XP. You want the ones in the Legacy folder. If you already have Vista installed and want it to see an existing raid, then just upgrade the drivers for your Serial ATA controllers using the drivers from the Legacy folder. Doing it after the fact will probably require you to use another Activation (it did for me), since so much of your hardware changes - CDRW, CDROM, HD's, all get re-detected.

would like to ask do the amd dual performance driver go with this o/s as i have got it on my abit board with vist 5600 rc1 without any issues or is it for winxp only,as there is no mention of this on there website.do anyone know thanks.

also would like to add: those of you with sound trouble may want to try the (jetaudio) as i get sound from all connections on my sound card in my sigs,and using the beta driver from creative .hope this can help some of you out there.

Just use the nForce drivers you use with XP. You want the ones in the Legacy folder. If you already have Vista installed and want it to see an existing raid, then just upgrade the drivers for your Serial ATA controllers using the drivers from the Legacy folder. Doing it after the fact will probably require you to use another Activation (it did for me), since so much of your hardware changes - CDRW, CDROM, HD's, all get re-detected.

tried that with no go. tried with boot from dvd and tried from install in windows off another drive. i tried 6.7s, 6.86s, and vista beta. every driver from ever folder. whatever the case i never see the two drives as one. just see them separately. so i'm back to single drive now until some new driver comes out that makes it work off the boot dvd. really frustrating at this point as raid is huge among us enthusiasts and has been for a few years now. it really shouldn't be this difficult at this late stage in the game.

sweet thanks. i'll try that when i feel gutsy again.

edit - so i just actually read that page and basically i have to frigging install xp again if i want raid in vista. this is awful. forget raid for now til i hear it's running off boot cd as it should be.

I have problems with vista rc1

i install just fine and after i regester and set the time zone it goes to check system proformance and the screen flickers...forever

i then reboot and it asks me to re register but i can not ust the orignal user name because it is already in use so i make another name and timezone then it checks system proformance and loads in to windows

so then i play around on it and occasionaly screen just flickersand i have to reboot installing video drivers dont help

any one know what is wrong

I have a question: Does Windows Vista have some sort of user-space layer over hardware devices? We just installed Vista on a Dell GX620 (our low-price turnkey system) with an Audio Science 5111 sound card. The ASIMixer application cannot see the hardware meters on the device, nor can it see the card itself. Of course, the ASIControl application (more commonly installed with WDM drivers, not the WAV drivers we use) can see the card and use the meters perfectly fine.

I think I just answered the question myself, but I just have to ask.

Edit: Also wanted to say, this is quite a nice version of Windows, 'specially because I can get the freakin' recylce bin off the desktop without 3rd-party software. Then again, it starts with 37 processes, so this must be "The most bloated version of Windows yet!"

i just installed Vista RC1 today on my rig. all was going well after a looooong upgrade until i tried to connect to the internet. for some reason nothing will connect, windows says im connected and recognizes the network, but after opening aim, mozilla, and IE all they do is just sit there and time out. any info or links to drivers to resolve this issue would be awesome.