The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Thanks for the link 98, I thought MS and Adobe were still fighting about that...

Has anyone played with speech recognition yet? Very cool if only for the novelty, though I’m not ready to throw away my mouse and keyboard just yet. You can open and close programs, save files, arrange windows and dictate text just by yelling at your microphone… it actually works.

Years ago I worked with some blind users on windows 3.1, they were pretty limited in what they could do with good hands and expensive proprietary software. Now speech recognition comes free with Windows.

The wonders never cease.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Avast! AV 5600 compatible beta is out tonight, it's the free AV I use.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424

New Java 6.2 runtime beta no longer disables Aero Glass

https://sdlc5c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServl...254188BDD5DD6B6

I found an excellent Wiki with a Vista HCL and SCL… www.iexbeta.com , the HCL needs more DFI submissions.

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...patibility_List

So, I am trying out Windows Vista RC1 and am having some trouble with stability. I am constantly getting shutdowns relating to the nvcmp.sys which I understand is connected to the nvidia audio drivers. I dont have any problems with my XP boot.

I was wondering if there are any drivers out there for Vista and the DFI motherboards. I am assuming the drivers on the disc wont work? Can I use the forceware drivers from Nvidia or will that not solve my issue because my board uses that Karamjan audio module?

OK, Vista RC1 32-Bit is running fine on my 80Gig Maxtor. My OC-settings are stable like in XP :)

Installed some software and the antivirus-tool, everything is working fine so far... Only one "issue" is left: I can not listen to videos/audio in 5-channel mode. Only front, center and sub are working, no go for the rear speakers. I adjusted the creative audio console and the same for the sound setup in windows (I can hear all speakers when I test them in this setup). Tried media player classic and MS media player. Any ideas about this?

Thanks!

Gipse

I’m on day three of RC1 and so far I’m very pleased; much better than Beta 2! RC1 is very snappy and IE7 is very fast, I could not be happier. :)

Alas, I did lose my sound again (Audigy) and have been unable to find a solution. :mad: And, Smart Guardian returns the error, “Run-time error ‘48’: File not found: itevio.dll” even though it is clearly present. (?)

Note: I’m running Vista on a WD EIDE 120gig/8mb drive w/o RAID as noted in my sig.

I think you can try the nvidia.com forceware drivers with out any problems... they just haven't been tested by DFI yet, but they probably will work. But not sure 100% about Vista... anything can happen.

The Karajan audio can also work with the nVidia forceware drivers... but instead of Realtek they will use the nVidia software.