The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Have exactly the same problem, 1 time it did see them but then crashed at the 1st reboot 30 mins later

I'm installing now, but still have to sort out why the drives aren't being detected. Right now, I have 2 drives connected .. one wd that I had reformatted (not sure if this made a difference) in xp and my dvdrw.

I have all the other drives physically disconnected right now and once the install completes, I'm going to try different combos to see where I lose the drives again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to encode video with divx as well as xvid, but media player says it can't find either codec for playback, wmv files work fine though. I didn't see any gains from using Vista x64 when encoding with Divx for dual cores, compared to using the same codec in XP x86. Does Vista x86 have any problems with codecs?

There is no virtual drives that'll work with Vista x64, I had to do a system restore after trying to install every version of Daemon tools, as it killed my product activation and wouldn't let me re-register. Works good again now that I restored it. Also the Vista beta 2 x64 drivers from nzone, work, but cause slight instability when trying to resume from sleep, and the system reports them as causing slow boot up and shut down times, I just ignore that as it works decent. My PC only got a rating of 3, I guess I need a better video card and more RAM for a better rating, what ratings do you guys get?

Guest SuppA-SnipA

as far as i know there are no restrictions

ReelFiles, u got it installed? u like it?

You can use Partition Magic from within XP and resize your original partition and create a new one for Vista.

I would move your "My Documents" folder to a seperate partition, as well and rename them "Documents" (That's what I did and all my OS use the same Documents folder)

Go to "Start" menu, right click on "Documents" select properties, Location tab and click "Move", link to your XP "My Documents" Folder.

Thanks!

as far as i know there are no restrictions

ReelFiles, u got it installed? u like it?

It's definately better than XP, can't wait for the finished product, and once it's activated with the right key there aren't any restrictions, I know of.

I posted this in the custom sig thread, but figured I'd copy it to here, since it seems Vista related;

It seems a lot of the sigs are Xed out, I wonder if it's me or the hosts you guys are using. Anyone else have this problem?

Nevermind

It seems to be a problem with Vista, some pics won't show (in 32-bit or 64-bit Internet Explorer) It works fine when I remote desktop to my wife's machine and view this thread in IE or Firefox.

Thanks, this thread actually gave me the idea. It was a bit of a pain , to get it right.

BTW PrintScreen doesn't seem to work for screenshots in Vista, I had to use the Snipping tool, to take the screenie and then edit it in Paint Shop, on my other machine, since I don't have it installed on Vista yet. Wish it was a bit clearer though.

This site has additional download links for Vista x86 & x64

HERE

Edit

seems those links are dead for now, sorry guys.

Well I just got my first BSOD when using 32-bit IE;

System_service_exception

No idea what happened, might be my OC not being stable enough for Vista.

BTW This site has some good tips, and the TweakVista utility for download

http://www.tweakvista.com/

another bug, when trying to insert a hyperlink, IE keeps selecting the entire page, even though I just selected one word, that's why I just wrote the link.

I marked the edit of my previous post in red, now. You must have overlooked it. Those links worked this morning, I should have checked them again before posting, my bad.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

print screen works ok for me :) all those pics i took that are linked on page 1 were done with print screen

I tried using Print screen and pasting into paint, no go. You are using x86, right? Maybe it's and x64 issue. I definately have to reinstall, I get too many bugs in x64. Driver's aren't good enough yet, I guess.

I didn't even see those screenies, must've mised that. I use that same wallpaper as in the first pic and I also installed Office 2007, hehe.