The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I'm still trying to get RAID with Vista. It worked when I used my two hitachi drives as 2 seperate drives. I'm wondering if the RAID drivers for XP64 would work with Vista.

Yeah, when I loaded Vista, the CPU was at 100% all the time, starting to get second thoughts about installing it now...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone running into "Setup could not get information about the disks on you computer" during the initial phase of setup?

I've tried with both the 64 and 32 bit versions, same message. Nothing out of the ordinary with the drives I'm using, and even blowing out my raid and just running the hitachis as seperate independent sata drives, nothing is detected.

Drives are working fine in xp and linux, so bad hardwae isn't a problem. I also have tried 2 different bios versions (the one with the 5.50 raid bios and the 704-2bt), but no difference in the error.

Same problem here with the x64 version.

Tried many times.

Beta 1 had problems with the RAID but its working BETA 2 at least the x64 gave me no chance to install drivers like the F6 option in Beta 1.

** I don't have any PATA drive installed, maybe this is the problem.

Marcelo

Like Kobalt, I'm having a hard time getting Vista to install. It basically just freezes up after a going through the initial progress bar, it then has a green/blue background where I am able to move the mouse around, but there is nothing showing. Then shortly after that, the mouse stops moving, and it just sits there. It doesn't look the DVD drive, hard drive, or anything else is doing anything. I have tried now a few times, and let it go as long as 45 minutes before giving up and restarting. Has anyone else had a similar problem by chance? This is on a brand new build with an Opteron 165 and brand new SATA drive. Any suggestions?

I did a fresh install of Vista 64... and I put a CD with the Nvidia Beta Nforce drivers with the RAID controller. I activated RAID in the BIOS. On the Vista installation screen where it asks you to format your drives, I clicked on "Install Drivers" and installed the RAID Class Driver. I formatted both my drives, and both are listed as partition 1. I'm not sure, but if you have 2 drives listed as Partition 1, isn't that RAID right there? Vista is still showing it as 2 drives, but the second drives contains a warning message that says this drive is not bootable..

EDIT

Vista installation is running really fast too... Its been 15 mionutes and is already expanding files, whereas with one drive, it took 30 minutes to get to start expanding files

I dloaded the Beta 2!

How do I put it on disc? I've got Nero 6, and I tried it using the UDF/ISO mode, and it didn't work, now all I have is a DVD with the exact same file on it, the ISO that comes up with the winRAR icon...

Please help!

I dloaded the Beta 2!

How do I put it on disc? I've got Nero 6, and I tried it using the UDF/ISO mode, and it didn't work, now all I have is a DVD with the exact same file on it, the ISO that comes up with the winRAR icon...

Please help!

open Nero6, then choose Nero Express mode, then Disk Image or Saved Project, and then it will ask for the iso...point it to the iso and blammo it will burn

btw everyone

remember if you are overclocked and having troubles, you need to drop down to stock speeds for a bit

Windows XP 64-bit is much more sensitive to overclocking and I've seen countless users say that their 32-bit XP is perfectly stable @ 2800Mhz but 64-bit was not until they dropped back down to around 2500Mhz for example.

Always keep this in mind.

I'm a little behind here... When did they start the "Beta Experience" where anyone who registered can download? I just found it today... :tooth: 3 gig download huh? 2+ hours, luckily I don't get off work for another 4 hours. :nod: No T3 @ home... :rolleyes: 368KB/sec and counting... :cool:

Ahhh... I found the nVidia gfx card drivers, but no nForce drivrs... Does DFI have any Vista drivers we need to know about? :confused:

Does DFI have any Vista drivers we need to know about? :confused:

Since when does DFI make drivers?

If you can't find them from nvidia, silicon image, or whatever, then you're on your own.

I too have SATAII Hitachi 80GBs in RAID. When I first got them I had to go to Hitachi website and download a prog that enabled the 300MB SATAII.

I too receive the error - could not detect drive info. You click OK and it takes 2 minutes to just go back to the install screen.

My situation is that I use the BIOS feature switch between primary hard drives - the WD160 on primary (Pioneer DVD on secondary) on IDEs and the two Hitachis on the NVRAID.

I dont want to touch the RAID, so I changed to IDE as the boot and even though I'm installing to IDE...the Hitachis bomb the install.

You're also not using hitachi drives ... there aren't very many people having this problem, so I'm really just trying to find the common denominator, which may be the hitachis.

I can't see where the nv sata / nvraid is the issue, this isn't raid specific, this is with the hitachi drives set in a standalone config too. Once they are disconnected, the system boots fine and sees all of the ide drives that I connect. Likewise, when I'm booting with just the ide drives (even though they aren't in raid), I still have the raid controller enabled, just nothing attached that's sata.

It isn't a drive conflict that I can see, even with all disconnected except for a single sata drive and the dvdrw, nothing is seen.

The above is all with the nvidia controller .. When I connect the hitachi's to the sil controller, system boots and sees all the drives (except the sata drives) and progresses to the upgrade / custom install screen, at which point, you can load drivers for the sil.

Let me confirm, i had the same issue with Hitachi and Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus in raid.

So it seems to be NVraid controller with a preconfigured raid enviroment. When i removed the raid partition and switched of the raid controller to use "normal" SATA it went past the install,m however it crashed again upon it's first reboot.

My issue is that i don't want to screw up my whole XP installation again.

I mean, yes i can rip the 2x 160megs out (being a 300GB stripe, with a crisp and clean XP install) and put Vista on another 120GB, but where does that bring me? as soon as i put the raid back in Either Vista or XP wont boot anymore...

I want RAID to work, if it doesn't work with this BETA yet, then crap it....

This is why I am thinking it's an issue that revolves around 3 requirements .. nv sata, hitachi drives, and vista. Like I said at the beginning of this though, not enough people are running into this to be able to find the common factors or see if nyone has found an alternate solution to get around the undetected drives issue.

If it is a drive issue, I can easily resolve this by simpy getting some new (different brand) sata drives, but I don't want to start blindly buying other hardware if there is another resolution to the whole problem.

My issue is that i don't want to screw up my whole XP installation again.

I mean, yes i can rip the 2x 160megs out (being a 300GB stripe, with a crisp and clean XP install) and put Vista on another 120GB, but where does that bring me? as soon as i put the raid back in Either Vista or XP wont boot anymore...

I want RAID to work, if it doesn't work with this BETA yet, then crap it....