The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious I am dl vista now bout 12 min left would this be like a reg xp install with out hte need to use f6 drivers? I have a raid 0 setup with an expert board anything in particular I should know before goin ahead. (Besides saving all my game files n reg files I need?)

Just curious I am dl vista now bout 12 min left would this be like a reg xp install with out hte need to use f6 drivers? I have a raid 0 setup with an expert board anything in particular I should know before goin ahead. (Besides saving all my game files n reg files I need?)

Im not sure if RAID 0 would work in Vista. Some people have gotten it to work, google it, I can't remember off of the top of my head who. But I think they had a 32-bit XP and 32-bit Vista Beta 2, and installed the XP RAID drivers. Or they had 64-bit XP and 64-bit Vista and did the same thing.

I'm wondering, if anyone's tried this, is if you can install Vista on a drive, then once Vista is installed, install RAID drivers in compatibility mode and activate RAID from the BIOS... would that work? I tried installing XP RAID drivers when installing Vista, but the comp would not recognize the OS on my RAID 0 array (Even though the OS is there, it won't boot).

Do you know if the version of XP has to be the same bit (32 or 64) as the Vista you're installing? Because I only have 32-bit XP and 64-bit Vista....

Sorry for all the questions.... a little new :)

Well..I'd assume if you're going for the 'upgrade' option then yeah it'd probably need to be the same format as the previous install.

But you can just install it on another partition on the same drive instead, and that shouldn't matter which Vista you installon whatever previous OS you have.

However, keep in mind for those that dual-boot XP and XP x64 ed. that usually it works best if x64 is installed first, in fact if I recall correctly it might not work if you do it the other way. Could be wrong though, and it might not apply here.

When using the upgrade advisor it says that for network drivers I would need to contact manufacturer, would I have any probs gettin online once i install vista?

Honestly it installed fine on my nf2, I'd think the nf4 would work equally well.

But to be safe (if I were you) download the Vista compatible chipset drivers from nvidia and burn them on a CD. You can always install them later if Vista's drivers don't work, and you should probably install them anyways.