Dual Channel MemTest Issues (OCZ)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of hijacking this thread - i have pretty much the exact same problem. I have the same memory and my PSU is on the recommended list. Thing is, if i leave it on over night in Dual Channel mode it will have loads of errors in MemTest86+ until i power off, and totally clear the capacitors... These memory errors always appear at 984.5MB - but there are also others...

Only difference is i'm still running 623-3 in the orange slots (when i attempt dual channel)

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully a new PSU will set my computer right!

Well, having trouble again. I've had 4 bluescreens in the last 8 hours, 3 were "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" and one was "IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal," which I think are associated with drivers, but I didn't have either of these until going back to 2 gigs of ram.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome!

Okay, I ran into some serious trouble today. After another IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, I ran memtest, which encountered errors in test #4 and test #7.

I had been stable, and had passed memtest for 20 hours just a couple days earlier, but now I'm back to failing memtest. I've attempted a couple different bios settings. The settings listed in the OCZ Prime Tested forum (http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....173&postcount=5) now fail to boot with both sticks in the orange slots, or either stick in the bottom orange slot. I'm really running out of ideas and things to try. Right now, I'm failing memtest with the last bios settings posted in this thread... Any other recomended settings or courses of action would be very helpful...

EDIT:

Also, is it normal to have actual voltages .12 volts higher than they're set to? For example, if I set DRAM voltage to 2.8 volts, my bios displays the DRAM actually at 2.92 volts? Could this be a problem with a voltage regulator on the motherboard? Or is this normal?

i was wondering on the voltage reading higher as well, mine tends to read about .08-.09 higher, like right now set to 3.0, it reads 3.08 in bios/mbm5. i haven't pulled out the DMM yet to see if bios is just reading wrong, but i was looking to do that today and check all my voltages to get them accurately read.

as far as your comp not starting with one stick in the bottom orange slot, i believe this is normal. i think you have to have a single stick in one of the top two slots to boot (yellow or orange, slots 1 and 2 i believe).

as far as helping you, i dunno what advice i can offer, as i am currently trying to get my ram to run stable as well. the only test i fail is test #8. i have another post about that though, or will anyways. i think the wierdest thing of it all is how it will run stable for a while, and then it starts crapping out on ya. on the days that it isn't stable, are ambient temps higher? or even you case/component temps due to continous operation? that's about the only thing i can think of as far as intermittent failures.

Ambient emperatures are relatively stable, and I'm in a basement so sunlight has a nominal effect on the temperatures. I haven't been taking a look at case temperatures, but I'll see if theres a change the next time things start crashing. It seems to me that if I make certain changes to the bios, mainly voltage, my computer will run stable for 3-4 days before having issues and failing memtest. But every voltage change doesn't affect this, and I still have no idea what could be causing it.

You should get a DMM and check your voltage going to the memory. Check it after you make changes and check it once per day after you get the memory stable again. It sounds like your board may have a faulty reg. If the memory were bad it would show errors no matter what so that leads me to believe it could possibly be a power regulation issue.

I ran into a similar issue where I was getting BSOD and such every few days. In my case it was a hardware conflict, my PATA back up drive was causing the crashes. I removed the drive and my troubles went away.

Hello,

When installing the nvidia chipset drivers,

- Do not install the firewall software

- Do not install the IDE SW drivers

Clear your CMOS for 10mins.

Use 1 stick

Memtest it.

Then Flash to BIOS 623-3.

Clear CMOS after flash for another 10mins.

Use the orange slots

Memtest.

What happens?

Hello,

When installing the nvidia chipset drivers,

- Do not install the firewall software

- Do not install the IDE SW drivers

Clear your CMOS for 10mins.

Use 1 stick

Memtest it.

Then Flash to BIOS 623-3.

Clear CMOS after flash for another 10mins.

Use the orange slots

Memtest.

What happens?

I'm 95% sure I didn't install the IDE SW drivers, any way I can check? I'm already using the 623-3 Bios (sorry sig didn't reflect that, updated). I'm currently on a "good streak" but things should run awry either tomorrow or Friday.