Dual Channel MemTest Issues (OCZ)

Im running that same memory in a Ultra-D just fine.

First, you need to post your Bios settings other than memory. Post your CPU bios settings as well as your current mem timings (if changed from that post) It's most likely a configuration problem.

Once you do that we can give you the correct settings for that memory.

Cheers

Thrac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Optimized defaults won't work..

You should setup EACH setting for cpu AND memory. "Auto" is just a starting point for users...your cpu and memory need specific settings/timings to function properly.

For your cpu try these

auto

16 16

auto

disable

1.525v

1.400v <-- setup your volts how you wish

above VID 109%

1.20v

1.50v

2.8v

DRAM Config

enable

auto

enabled

auto

8ns

normal

6.5ns

disable

disable

Let us know how it goes

Cheers

Thrac

auto

16 16

auto

disable

1.525v

1.400v					   <-- setup your volts how you wish

above VID 109%

1.20v

1.50v

2.8v   

DRAM Config

enable

[b]3[/b]

[b]4078[/b]

auto

enabled

auto

8ns

normal

6.5ns

disable

disable

Using those settings, 9 errors in Test 4 and 32 errors in Test 5.

Also, the values in Bold were not available in my Bios (623-3), so I used the next closest substitute.

auto

16 16

auto

disable

1.525v

1.400v					   <-- setup your volts how you wish

above VID 109%

1.20v

1.50v

2.8v   

DRAM Config

enable

3 <-- use whatever you have

3120  <-- use this 

auto

enabled

auto

8			   <-- try this instead of 7ns

8ns		 

normal

6.5ns  

disable

disable

Try that

I would beg borrow or steal another PSU before you spend another minute trying setting after setting with your ram. While it's true that there is a difference between yellow and orange slots you shouldn't be beating yer head against the wall at stock clocks. Get your hands on another PSU, pick a bios and stick with it (I'd use the latest official) and start fresh. Since you've been having random lock ups over a long period of time your OS is probably boogered. Get your memory errors taken care of then do a fresh install...

Right now yer just spinning yer wheels...

I would beg borrow or steal another PSU before you spend another minute trying setting after setting with your ram. While it's true that there is a difference between yellow and orange slots you shouldn't be beating yer head against the wall at stock clocks. Get your hands on another PSU, pick a bios and stick with it (I'd use the latest official) and start fresh. Since you've been having random lock ups over a long period of time your OS is probably boogered. Get your memory errors taken care of then do a fresh install...

Right now yer just spinning yer wheels...

I agree, however I was simply trying to rule out his mem timings as the culprit.

Since he's testing with memtest the OS isn't what he's concerened with. Im sure he knows once he's stable to do a fresh install.

@ Cuttle , you should try to get a adequate PSU. You could also use a divider on your mem to rule that out as a problem.

Cheers

Thrac

Should I go for an OCZ Powerstream 520w?

That would fall under the catagorie "Adequate", it all depends on your budget. There are a new line of PSU's from OCZ,Mushkin and PC P&C that would also be fine as well as a bit more future proof.

Mushkin xp-650

OCZ GameXstreme 600

OCZ GameXstream 700

OCZ Powerstream

As an afterthought, how much voltage are you giving your cpu? I would bump it up a bit. Your mem controller might be struggling with 2 x 1024 in dual chan. The Ultra-d is a great board for 2x512 but it might take a bit more tweaking and voltage to get stable with 2gigs.

Give it a try, and as we've said.. get yourself a recommended PSU.

Cheers

Thrac

That would fall under the catagorie "Adequate", it all depends on your budget. There are a new line of PSU's from OCZ,Mushkin and PC P&C that would also be fine as well as a bit more future proof.

Mushkin xp-650

OCZ GameXstreme 600

OCZ GameXstream 700

OCZ Powerstream

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully a new PSU will set my computer right!