How much do you charge for building PC's

rule of thumb is....

labor cost what the parts do.... so what ever the total amount of parts cost then that is the charge for labor...

That covers any warranty work and your wages....Keep in mind under Microsoft EULA that the person who installs the OS IS the tech suport...It IS the installers sole responsability...

So if the parts cost $1500.00 than I should charge $1500.00 to install? Somethings a little wrong with that formula. :eek2:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know of a way to sort this problem out in the future?

Drill through the kneecap on one of them, it shouldn't happen in the future, especially if everybody knows the guy, or you have a video playing all the time... ;)

Anyways, I agrre that its also a lot of fun to do, so money no object I do it for friends anyways. It does get frustrating though if you have a hard time getting it to run properly or just have a lot to do in general though.

Guest Synchronize

£100/$170 for full build and overclock, but if he/she is a good friend i might do it for free...

I have designed over 20 diffrent systems for friends, who at the last minute back out. By design I mean go over the entire parts list, compare it for pricing, compare it for performance and stability, and do it all again. This REALLY annoys me expecialy sence I havent been paid at all in months. Anyone know of a way to sort this problem out in the future?

this is part of life

i put together the parts list for customers at newegg, then tell them it is their responsibility to order the parts, or cut me a cashier's check for hte amount and I'll order them

you will do about 20 estimates for every build so get used to it lol

So if the parts cost $1500.00 than I should charge $1500.00 to install? Somethings a little wrong with that formula. :eek2:

Yep....

I have priced systems I have built against local puter stores around here...for a custom jobbie thats about how the cost works out...

this is part of life

i put together the parts list for customers at newegg, then tell them it is their responsibility to order the parts, or cut me a cashier's check for hte amount and I'll order them

you will do about 20 estimates for every build so get used to it lol

Thanks, well Im due for a build any time now lol.

Gee Angry, 100 bucks extra for RAID? I guess the 30 seconds it takes to setup the array and the 1 second to hit F6, is worth 100 bucks. :)

Worst Buy charges like 40 bucks just to install memory, so 100.00 for a full build isn't too bad.

For most users, the computer is a commodity just like a toaster. When one stops working they get another.

I see rigs brought into the shop where the owner bought a new computer then brought the old one in. The get charged $75.00 to remove the mal-ware. When we boot the rig before they take it home they're amazed at how fast it is. They could have saved the cost of a new rig if they had brought it in and spent $75.00.

For 95% of my business customers I sell HP boxes with a 3 year warranty. Most are used for office applications so 512MB of RAM and a nice 19 inch LCD is just fine.

For the balance of the rigs I build for business customers they're high performance PCs or elements in a render farm.

Almost all of the home rigs for gamers are DFI rigs with the rare request for an ABit, Asus or MSI thrown in.

My pricing is very similar to what AG quoted. Anything less and you are just wasting time. But, I offer a full warranty on the hardware and build.

BTW This statement...

Keep in mind under Microsoft EULA that the person who installs the OS IS the tech support...It IS the installers sole responsibility...
is not true. It only pertains to the OEM version of the Microsoft OS. If you use the Retail version, Microsoft remains the main point of contact for software support.

The retail version is only $100.00 more so it makes sense for a rig that some noob is gonna thrash.