Rig down - worked last night but not now!!

Ok guys - I have NFI with my DFI...LOL

Have had it OC'd for over a year and everything has been perfect, have good cooling (XP-90) and the CPU barely ever goes over 35C.

So I try and turn the system on this morning - get no usual "beep" followed by the Bios screen - infact I get no screen action at all. The fans go, the HD and DVD spin and then I get an extended "beep" pause, "beep" pause, "beep" pause until I power the system down.

Have removed the X-Fi and VGA card, RAM and CPU etc, rebuilt and the same. Have cleared the CMOS (?) several times, still the same behavior.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under normal circumstances, it is, but obviously not in this case.

If you don't want to wait that long, you might be able to get away with 5 hours.

Did you try returning everything to stock speeds? From time to time overclocks become unstable for whatever reason...

I figured that clearing the CMOS would set the board back to stock speed - however I can't even get it to boot now so thats my issue.

Also - just noticed that 3 of the red debug LED's light up, and then just the furtherest to the left (closest to the case) stays lit. That help??

On the motherboard documentation there are explantions for the beeps that you described.You can download the pdf file at the DFI site.The beep codes will give you a good hint at what is wrong.

Yes mine worked this morning just fine Now nothing but a beep, hung up on the 2nd red led.. I posted but got no response as yet.. Im just learning how to do all of this stuff.. and a chick so it takes longer...

Hey - I'm sure girls can do this as well as guys - so chin up!

I left the system for 2 hrs, jumper set for CMOS clear, took the battery out etc.

Come back, power up and then practically the same thing, only this time the chipset and CPU fan started, then stopped, then started again.

Powered up again - now back to my original problem.

To be a bit more specific - three red LED's solid, the fourth flickers a little. A "clicking" sound can be heard from the DVD drive, as if it searching etc, then the fans throtle down to a minimum idle and one LED is lit with the beeping noise.

I'm going to try leaving it for 5 hrs and see what happens - worst case I'm assuming I'll need a new BIOS chip? Or is my CPU fried?

I have an Antec 350 that came with the case (replaced it with the 480W) - will that have enough juice?

EDIT - Nix that idea - the 350W gave me the same response as the 480 W - so its not the PSU. :(

my fans come on but i just get the beep on the 2nd led i read that was my video right!!! how could it just go down like that!! what happened first I was in the cmos and changed that (errat 94 to auto where he had it) woops he is my nephew!!! sorry it was on disable.. then went to his bank, told it to load from his bank when it did that was it..... Nothing but the beep now........ this is my main I have 2 of these and now none of them are up to par.. grrrrrrrrr......

I sure cant use this one to play DAoC online or it would be lag city all over..lol

but even with that said the main is all my office stuff for the farm too.. I really need this one..

I have done what the book said about moving that jumper to 2 & 3 then back to 1 & 2 which I have not done yet, due to not knowing if I should take the battery out or just do what the book says.. til someone post something for me which they have not as yet.. :(