Rig down - worked last night but not now!!

Honestly - you pay $120 for a peice of equipment that sounds like it fails 6 months into standard usage....(yes this is frustration talking now!!).

Hopefully the BIOS chip switch out works, else I'm RMA'ing this board and getting another - and if THAT one fails...I'll have to switch manufacturers...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think it could be the video card? I'm having an issue right now after switching cpus where I get no display and the one debug light closest to the edge. Also got one long beep. I thought it might be the vid card, so I hit 'F1' to load setup default or something, and low and behold it loads windows as I can hear the hard drive spinning up and down. I know I'm in windows also because I went thru the motions with the keyboard to shut it down (Ctrl-alt-del + right 2 times + up up up + down) and it shuts down.

So seems like the video card got messed up somehow, as it was working fine before the cpu switch. Once you do this, the one debug light goes away and it goes into Windows with no display. I'm gonna try a different vid card tonight as I dont have a 2nd card on me atm.

I am not sure which one is the problem the motherboard or the vid card. I am thinking it is the board based off of other peoples issues. I want to try to replace the Bios chip which I have one from my DFI NF3 board and I want to swap them. How do I do this? If I just swap the chips will it work or do I have to do something first? I have never done this before but I want to give it a try. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok - so Tmod sends the replacement BIOS chip in 2 days...2 DAYS. Thats service. If you EVER need a BIOS chip www.biosmedic.com is the place to go.

Now that said - poped the old Bios Chip out, in with the new...power up.

SAME AS BEFORE. NO BOOT. NOTHING.

This is going BACK TO DFI.

So if you've encountered this problem, tried the RAM, tried the PSU, tried the BIOS and gotten the same place as I have (ie. an unresolved, useless computer) it looks like you are RMA'ing as your soloution.

That said - I hear ASRock aren't bad for the price - may pick one up till my DFI comes back.

Thanks to everybody that tried to help - I really appreciate it. I just have one stubborn board.

Ok - so Tmod sends the replacement BIOS chip in 2 days...2 DAYS. Thats service. If you EVER need a BIOS chip www.biosmedic.com is the place to go.

Now that said - poped the old Bios Chip out, in with the new...power up.

SAME AS BEFORE. NO BOOT. NOTHING.

This is going BACK TO DFI.

So if you've encountered this problem, tried the RAM, tried the PSU, tried the BIOS and gotten the same place as I have (ie. an unresolved, useless computer) it looks like you are RMA'ing as your soloution.

That said - I hear ASRock aren't bad for the price - may pick one up till my DFI comes back.

Thanks to everybody that tried to help - I really appreciate it. I just have one stubborn board.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I was going to go the bios chip way but I decided to just RMA the board after reading your post. I had the exact same issue as you so I figure I will follow your direction. Thanks

Guest Shadowarez

lol i also had the same sisues as most of you here but i hada 460 watt psu, theplace i bought the vid card from would try test it for 30 mins but they had the same issues they couldnt get it to boot, so remembering when i bought this i also got the 30 day exspress rma insurance i used it, now just hoping for replacement, i miss the days of my NF2 from Asus, A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2 i got that board and my old 3200 to 3.01 ghz stable with soem corsair mem, inm duel channel, i had no probs keepin it oc'ed to 3ghz with no volt mods, then i cheap out and get a msi im ashamned lol, never again will i think of saving a few hundered for the chance to get a rig working in the end that $150 i saved coulda have been spent on a nice psu or better ram, just hope the rmad board will work, ill repostin my own thread when it arrives,

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION FOLKS... LOL

So I organise the DIF RMA - thinking I'll be PC less for a while, I go and buy a refurb ASRock from newegg, $33 or something rediculous.

Anway - friday it arrives, I plug everything in, fire it up...and the SAME EXACT thing as the DFI board!!! No boot.

I thought "bugger - I've fried the CPU on my DFI".

So I try something crazy - I replace the graphics card with my old 4200Ti AGP (lucky for me this board has both the PCI-e and AGP)...and what do you know....boots right on up.

YOU DAMN GRAPHICS CARD!!!!

So now I've got the culprit - the evga 6600GT - and ITS being RMA'd...LOL

So I organise the DIF RMA - thinking I'll be PC less for a while, I go and buy a refurb ASRock from newegg, $33 or something rediculous.

Anway - friday it arrives, I plug everything in, fire it up...and the SAME EXACT thing as the DFI board!!! No boot.

So I try something crazy - I replace the graphics card with my old 4200Ti AGP (lucky for me this board has both the PCI-e and AGP)...and what do you know....boots right on up.

I RMA'd my board and video card at the same time...killing two birds with one stone. :)

Same exact thing meanings 3 led's? I remember switching around my video card and getting dual channel to work randomly with my VX...what would one have to do with another?