overclocking amd x2 4800

jlqrb

i have overclocked my amd x2 4800 from stock to 2.6 ghz without touching the cpu volts yet and have ran a prime 95 stress test for 2 hours with no problems.

I just want some advice on when to change the volts on my cpu.

so far my temp has only gone up from 36c to 37 or 38c idle

and from 40c load to 43c load.

this is my first time overclocking so i wanted to know if it sounds like i can keep going toward my goal of 2.7 or should i stop because i know it is stable.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch your temps because the Expert board has issues with reporting the correct temps. You might want to add about 10C to your load temps to be safe. Also check out the Overclocking Guide. Read that through and once you understand it, try it out. If you have any trouble with anything, re-read it then ask us for help. That should keep you busy for about a week. =P

hi - from reading here - its at least 8 hours running both cores - some say 10 -14 and 24 hours

i run it for 8 at least -

i didnt raise my volts till it was needed - when i couldnt boot up -i raised it a notch - also if prime fails right away - you can try pushing it up a notch

this is how i did it - i had stock volts up to about 2.5

i have a x2 4200+ -- then i had to raise them and then raised them again to get where i am now at 2.7 --

i am sure you can get to 2.7 and more

but go slow and make as small changes and test again -

what is the stock speed for the 4800+

is it 2.5 ?

stock for the 4800 is 2.4

i have read that some people are getting there 4800 into 3.0 range with watercooling but i am using xp-120 ( i really dont want to push it that far)

and for temps i am using mbm2 with the plugins that make it work with the dfi landparty expert board

this may be a lame question but it is something i am having alittle hard time with

which is the overclocking of RAM

my main question is this i moved my cpu volts up as far as i want to stay in a good temp range and using super pi maxed out my cpu at 230 x 12 which is just over 2.75ghz now i havent tested my RAM with memtest yet but for now i am just going to stick with 230 for my freq and i will set my fsb mem to 1/01 so my question is will this set my RAM to DDR460 or do i have to somehow set it to that setting

PRIME sucks

If your system is stable for what you use it for then for get prime.

Unless you use your PC to figure out the meaning of life prime sucks....

My last 3 systems could never run prime in their O/ced states.

Yet they have been as solid as life.

Again if it runs your game fine and apps fine then screw prime.

Uh

Well what other application uses 100% FPU then? Why the heck would you need stability at 100% FPU usage if you only use 30-40% as you say and still be able to run any other game/application rock solid? So you can show off you m4d 5kilz? As A_G said, why the heck bother about those 3dmark/Prime95 programs if you aren't proffesional and have the chance at beating some old WR. It's realworld performance and stability that counts. If you get any artifacts in 3dmark but can run without any in your favorite game why care?

I only use lets say 3dmark to know my system is performing totally normal after changeing drivers or such.