overclocking amd x2 4800

jlqrb

I was also suprised by the voltage needed to hit 2.75ghz on my 4800. But it makes sense, you got two cores you gotta feed, and they are hungry cores at that (at least my stepping is).

ApolloX - the 3800 is one of those nifty lower end processors that can hit good clocks with a little coaxing. At it's current price you just can't go wrong if you can hit anywhere between 2.4 and 2.6ghz.

If your FSB and memory can stand it, then I'd go for the 3800 and see what you can squeeze out of it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I just upgraded from the 3800+ to the 4800+ since the prices are now dirt cheap. I was just surprised to hear some people clocked the 4800+ to 10x260. I'm enjoying overclocking the 4800+ since it costs now less than my the 3800+ did a year ago.

Actually I just upgraded from the 3800+ to the 4800+ since the prices are now dirt cheap. I was just surprised to hear some people clocked the 4800+ to 10x260. I'm enjoying overclocking the 4800+ since it costs now less than my the 3800+ did a year ago.

Yeah, well, with the FSB being that high, there may still be 1 benchmark that can be won against a conroe... Memory bandwidth... :P

Maybe selling it short here but: What's the use of DDR500-memory if you don't get past 217 FSB? And I also have the same CPU-speed.. ;)

My 2 cents

I spent another three hours last night playing with my X2 and G.Skill HZ sticks. My sticks will run fine up to 530mhz if I keep my cpu at 2.65ghz. If I push my cpu past 2.65ghz I can't get Prime stable unless my memory is running at 500mhz or less.

I've got a Prime run going today while I'm at work using;

275X10 @ 1.55 vcore

RAM running at 9/10 divider = 250.07(500mhz effective)

LDT = 1.3v

Chipset = 1.6v

Memory = 2.6v + enable +.03v

I tried the simple approach to this equation last night trying to run at;

250X11 @ 1.55v

RAM = 1:1

Same voltages everywhere - Prime locked up at approximately 44 minutes (not even a rounding error, just a complete lock up)

I'll keep you all posted.

On another front, I also went back to the orange slots last night, and original flakyness with my rig returned (keyboard locking up, hanging at boot screen etc.) So back to the yellow slots for me and everything is working again. For whatever reason this new X2 and my HZ memory seem to prefer the yellow slots over the orange (exactly the opposite of my 3700 Sandie and this same memory).

Got home last night to find dual Prime95 torture test still running after 11+ hours. Made a few more BIOS changes to be able to run with CPC enabled, re-ran Prime last night and woke this morning to find it still running :)

Tonight will be hard core frag fest on BF2, then overnight Memtest, if she pulls through all of that ok, then I'm good to go.

Got home last night to find dual Prime95 torture test still running after 11+ hours. Made a few more BIOS changes to be able to run with CPC enabled, re-ran Prime last night and woke this morning to find it still running :)

Tonight will be hard core frag fest on BF2, then overnight Memtest, if she pulls through all of that ok, then I'm good to go.

I think you can see 2.8 on her.

Have you tried 280 x 10 * 9/10(meaning 280 at the 10 multi using the 9/10 divider)?

Anyhow good lucks and congrats!

icon14.gif

h

The best I've managed at 2.80ghz is a little over six hours of dual prime. I'm pretty well at the ceiling of my silicon. Its not a temperature issue, me thinks its a voltage issue (as in lack of). I believe I'd have to pump about 1.58 to 1.61 vcore through the processor to get it stable at 2.8ghz. And i've gotta keep an eye on my pwmic temps too because that little sucka gets pretty warm running this dual core.

But thanks for the encouragement.

Awesome results there! ;D

Passed eight hours of Memtest overnight after playing some Joint Ops and BF2 without a hiccup. I'll post my final BIOS, voltage and memory settings in this thread when I get back home tonight.

Short story; 275X10 @ 1.55 vcore and 9/10 memory divider. I'll get a posting up over in the Socket939 OCDB once I get a chance to run the full suite of benchmark tests.

Passed eight hours of Memtest overnight after playing some Joint Ops and BF2 without a hiccup. I'll post my final BIOS, voltage and memory settings in this thread when I get back home tonight.

Short story; 275X10 @ 1.55 vcore and 9/10 memory divider. I'll get a posting up over in the Socket939 OCDB once I get a chance to run the full suite of benchmark tests.

Wevsspot, what kind of temps are you getting? sorry for getting back to you so late, but I have been busy with work and have not had a chance to test your settings you pm me.

Agreed. Keep your gaming machine lean and mean. BF2 has proven to be my best overall stress test after getting Prime stable. You will usually find that you need to back off ~50MHz from Prime stable to be BF2 stable.