Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

I made some more bios changes today and left the machine running over lunch. It was running fine until i came back 2 1/2 hours later and knocked the desk... i.e. moved the mouse. This instantly generated the issue.

I am now testing will everything off in power management in the Bios and i have also disabled the ALI power management driver in windows. Fingers x

For info i use a USB mouse and the screen saver is the standard XP one without password.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made some more bios changes today and left the machine running over lunch. It was running fine until i came back 2 1/2 hours later and knocked the desk... i.e. moved the mouse. This instantly generated the issue.

I am now testing will everything off in power management in the Bios and i have also disabled the ALI power management driver in windows. Fingers x

For info i use a USB mouse and the screen saver is the standard XP one without password.

This board as a lot of issues, if i change ram settings in bios minutes later i find a new issue or an old one.

Cool boot issues, Everest instant boot, raid issue, usb mouse/keyboard issue,...... You name it!

Another issue of my own, i have a DDR kit 2GB Gskill 4000HZ (UCCC) and i see a lot of settings of others users with the same board, same ram, most of them use a Max Ascny Latency=10, 9 or 8... In my particular case, i can't use them, never had a chance the system shutdown imediatily and starts with some cool boots if the bios saved the my changes. I have to CMOS the bios.

I can run Max Ascny Latency=7, 6 and 5. I believe the lower the better and seems to me that this settings are rare and nobody use them, even with the same memory.

The persistance of this problem is making me sad. Its tarnishing my opinion of this Motherboard. I've had my system a week now and I've spent more time trying to solve this problem than enjoying the PC. Okay does anyone having this problem not have a RAID configuration of some kind?

keep your X1900 and just use a single card, or sell it and get SLI and an SLI motherboard

I have to say now that I have been able to plug in Crossfire X1900's, I am thoroughly disappointed in real performance =(

it just ain't worth the money, and, or course, the RD580 chipset is still buggy, as is a lot of aspects of not only the DFI board, but the Asus board and I can imagine any R580 chipset boards that come out for a while

meanwhile, the original Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D/SLI boards are still kicking strong, and SLI is not only much more mature, but is much much more supported in your favorite games, and there's much much less problem with the whole affair.

ATI...makes great vid cards...but they just don't seem to be able to figure out how to make good chipsets (as honestly, the problems with the motherboards generally fall down to the chipset makers, not the motherboard mfg's).

as you can tell in this forum, the NF4 section gets about 20x more traffic than the ATI section...and it isn't just because NF4's have been around longer...the RDX200 motherboard has been out for a good long while and Crossfire cards have been filling the inventories at major vendors/retailers for a while...and still...problems problem problems, lack of performance, etc.

I've also discovered that Crossfire doesn't seem to work worth a darn on AMD rigs...yet toss it into an Intel 975X and....it works quite well.

Too bad Intel cpu's stink compared to AMD...but that is going to change VERY QUICKLY in about 2-4 months when we finally get some real Conroe love.

Great thing is, you will be using a real Intel 975X chipset (or later) and it will STILL support Crossfire...so you don't have to rely on ATI's crappy chipsets (nor any problems that seem to follow AMD Crossfire around).

so

in closing, do yourself a favor and forget ATI for the moment. Just because a few users (including Rgone, who you should NEVER think you can overclock anywhere near as good as he will be able to) have shown some cool overclocks, doesn't really show you the whole picture.

Stick to something tried and true like NF4 original boards and SLI technology...or just use what you have and wait 6-12 months for a mature AM2 platform (AMD's new DDR2 setups), or 4-8 months for a real Conroe setup, which, at this time, will annihilate anything AMD can bring to the table.

buying anything ATI related when it comes to chipsets is really just asking for trouble. That is my honest opinion at this time.

Your making me really regret this purchase. Do you think that the problems can be fixed with updated bioses or do you think we would maybe need a motherboard revision?

Im using latest bios, flashed it first day i got mobo and i now experience same problem as Crimson Ronin, sometimes my mobo wake up when i turn it off thru windows, not to mention problem with sound, what is wrong?

It ahs been stated many times that you need to go into the device manager and go to the advanced properties under your NIC cards and set the wake on lan to disabled.

Your making me really regret this purchase. Do you think that the problems can be fixed with updated bioses or do you think we would maybe need a motherboard revision?

Angry has been negative about the platform since day 1. Just hang in there, wait for a few rounds of updates, and you will be very happy with the results.

You cannot let little things like this bother you when you are living on the bleeding edge.

Lafia Lee of DFI contacted me today, they are trying to repeat the issue in their labs, so feel free to forward any further insights you have to me or try Lafia directly. Please try to remain calm and friendly, it helps to get people to co-operate better.

As good as your intentions were to provide everyone with a point-of-contact (PoC) for the issues they are experiencing with this board, SPAMBots can decipher the e-mail address you posted and remove the NOSPAM entry from it to get the real e-mail address.

In the future, I highly suggest that you have people PM you to get the PoC information instead of posting it in a open forum. DFI already has enough SPAM e-mails coming in and don't need anymore added.

Thank you.

- AceGoober

please remove the no spam from the address.

I have resent DFI this thread link so that they can review everyone's setups and work from there.

Regards

Raja

The persistance of this problem is making me sad. Its tarnishing my opinion of this Motherboard. I've had my system a week now and I've spent more time trying to solve this problem than enjoying the PC. Okay does anyone having this problem not have a RAID configuration of some kind?

I have no problem regarding my Creative X-FI XtremeMusic working on my system... thank god for that!!... :angel:

In fact it's mostly easier to get Crossfire to work than SLI on games that need updated drivers. I know of soemone with quad SLI and dual SLI too, he has problems with unoptimised drivers.

If using Crossfire just remane the exe file for your game to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe

this will force alternate frame rendering (SLI), as an example I was playing the GRAW demo recently, without the rename I was getting around 37fps, with the AFR filename I get around 80 fps average.

here are the settings I have been using for X1900 and X1800 Crossfire.

with this setup I see and average of 40-60% increase in many games. some games jsut do not support CF.

I am able to run CF on my Opteron 170 up to 2.55GHz and onmy Opteron 146 up to 2.85GHz

Give these a try, one other thing is whether you are using the onboard sound or Creative. check their wesites for updates.

You can use the new realtek drivers and I know creative has newer drivers than ship with the cards