Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually it wasn't this at all

its an issue with the OCZ 600w Powerstream and this board

it simply will not power up when the Master card is inserted by itself in any slot or when both master and slave card are inserted in teh correct order (ie: master card in top slot, slave card in the bottom slot).

it will only power up with the master in teh bottom slot and slave in the top (and reversing lanes does not allow crossfire to be enabled...I tried 10 ways to sunday an no go), or the slave card in any slot by itself.

It will not power up without a monitor connected to a card either, which is pretty weak.

however, replacing the 600w Powerstream with the 520w Powerstream, it finally booted right up (and sounded like a jet engine with 2 X1900XT turbines running 100% lol)

Angry that is odd,

I was shocked this PC Power & Cooling 510 SLi could handle Xfire and all the load I have on it. So far so good. You may hear me cryin' in a few weeks though :P

Angry that is odd,

I was shocked this PC Power & Cooling 510 SLi could handle Xfire and all the load I have on it. So far so good. You may hear me cryin' in a few weeks though :P

Here I found this earlier this week, while shopping for a X1900Xt card...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29940

I know this is for the RD480, the RD580 could have the same problem.

actually it wasn't this at all

its an issue with the OCZ 600w Powerstream and this board

it simply will not power up when the Master card is inserted by itself in any slot or when both master and slave card are inserted in teh correct order (ie: master card in top slot, slave card in the bottom slot).

it will only power up with the master in teh bottom slot and slave in the top (and reversing lanes does not allow crossfire to be enabled...I tried 10 ways to sunday an no go), or the slave card in any slot by itself.

It will not power up without a monitor connected to a card either, which is pretty weak.

however, replacing the 600w Powerstream with the 520w Powerstream, it finally booted right up (and sounded like a jet engine with 2 X1900XT turbines running 100% lol)

Hi Angry Games,

I think you have the same problem as me, it's definatley a psu issue, the current demand of a system running full tilt like that is too much for most 600w supplies.

Here is a paste of my tests with the Seasonic S12 600w running a heavily loaded system, once I added an extra case fan (brings total to 6, 7 if you include the cpu cooler), I could not run Firefly Forest in 3d Mark 06..

I ran a series of tests @ different voltages with and without overclocks:

1) I first increased the voltage to my overclock CPU speed, so the vcore was .025 higher @ 1.5v. This caused the benchmark to run a fraction of a second longer, before freezing.

2) Went into bios lowered the overclock speed, by 60mhz, kept vore @ 1.5v. Benchmark still froze.

3) Returned to stock speed with 1.5v, still failed.

4) Decreased vcore to 1.4v, still failed.

5) Unplugged 2 case fans from the 12v rails, the benchmark passed.

Basically the Seasonic is a great psu, but when you have a heavily loaded system, it is unable to supply the current demand. Now I know why I have been having trouble getting stable over 2.7ghz, I knew there was more in the cpu.

This means I have to move upto the next line of PSU's at a bare minimum, though I'm not yet convinced they will provide the juice for overclocking either. The specs seem off on all the supplies I've looked at. Most of the 750 watt supplies boast four 12v rails @ 18 amps each, this just does not add up.

P (watts)= Volts X amps

72 volts X 12 amps = 864 watts

that's not even including the motherboard connector rails. 5v @ 28 amps and 3.3v @ 30 amps.

Most of these supplies cannot supply the continuous stated power to those rails at the same time. I never believed before that such power peaks would be required, but my time with the Seasonic has lead me to believe otherwise.

Raja

and since the demo for Tomb Raider doesn't even allow for nextgen content, that means I would have to buy the game to even get any realistic testing...

I just picked up the full version a few hours ago.

The Next Gen Content kicks the crap out of my PC at only 1280x1024 with NO Anti-Aliasing!

And speaking of games.... I downloaded the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter PC Demo yesterday.... Awesome, but also kicks the crap outta my PC!

Angry_Games, you in to shooters? GRAW for the PC comes out May 3rd, and this would be a great addition to your benchmarks (and the game is awesome too)!

Hi Angry Games,

I think you have the same problem as me, it's definatley a psu issue, the current demand of a system running full tilt like that is too much for most 600w supplies.

the OCZ 600w Powerstream is more than enough psu to run these systems...but it looks like that Inquirer article is spot on

or at least pretty close

the Seasonic S12-600w psu can't even hold a candle to the power of a Powerstream, so I am never worried that my 600w can't handle the job...I think it is just a problem between the psu and the particular setup.

I can get both cards to run no problems if hte master card is in the second slot

I can get the slave card to run in any slot

I cannot get the machine to even power on with teh master card in the top slot

(I think I've mentioned this about 5 times now lol)

I just picked up the full version a few hours ago.

The Next Gen Content kicks the crap out of my PC at only 1280x1024 with NO Anti-Aliasing!

And speaking of games.... I downloaded the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter PC Demo yesterday.... Awesome, but also kicks the crap outta my PC!

Angry_Games, you in to shooters? GRAW for the PC comes out May 3rd, and this would be a great addition to your benchmarks (and the game is awesome too)!

i'll receive an advanced copy of GRAW this week. Friends at Ubi and Epic and EA etc make life bearable for the most part ;)

I've not had much chance to try anything yet. been fighting with this stupid board for two days now.

I'm not growing any fonder of this thing...and I'm still not impressed by the limited Crossfire I've finally been able to run...more as it comes though.

Hi,

Obviously you guys know what you're talking about, though I'm convinced that when you have 7 fans, a dvd writer, floppy drive and 2 hard drives in raid 0, 600w just won't cut it for completley stable overclocks.

I'm now considering this

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-75zf.htm

though the specs of these 700w-750w psus don't seem to add up,

12v X 18 amps = 864 watts, underneath it says 60 amps, which is more like 15amps each when the system is under heavy load.

maybe I'll have to get one of those PC&P supplies or run 2 psu's.

Raja

Obviously you guys know what you're talking about, though I'm convinced that when you have 7 fans, a dvd writer, floppy drive and 2 hard drives in raid 0, 600w just won't cut it for completley stable overclocks.

lol

you are correct, we DO know what we are talking about, and a good quality 600w Powerstream is more power than almost every other psu on the market.

Same for the OCZ Powerstream 520w, and PCP&C 510w etc. More powerful than just about every psu. More than capable of sustained 1000Mhz overclocks with 2GB RAM, 2 X1900XT Crossfires, 4x80GB RAID-0, 2x12" UV CCFL lights, 8 fans, 2 fan controllers, 4 waterpumps, a PCI sound card, and 2 DVD writers.

trust me on this.

the problem is NOT lack of power

it has to do with how the psu and the motherboard (or something plugged into the motherboard) go about powering up.

Rgone had a 600w Powerstream that would fail to boot an NF4 Expert board no matter what he did. Plugged in EVERY OTHER psu into that board and it booted right up, every single time.

this is just what happens sometimes.

i'll receive an advanced copy of GRAW this week. Friends at Ubi and Epic and EA etc make life bearable for the most part ;)

Heh, always good to have friends on the inside! lol

But yeah, GRAW @ 1280x1024, everything max (that the demo allows) and NO anti-aliasing, gets me about 45 FPS average, sometimes dropping below 30. That's a kick in the nuts right there! Unless ATi can tweak the crap out of Catalyst 6.5 to improve performance, you might just need CrossFire to run any form of AA!

Crazy.

Here I found this earlier this week, while shopping for a X1900Xt card...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29940

I know this is for the RD480, the RD580 could have the same problem.

Interesting.

This one is rated at up to 38A on the 12v so I figured I'd give it a whirl. It can hold my CPU at the clock in my sig and all the hardware. My X1900s are limited by my master card and I can run them at 690|785 currently. The XTX is good for 702|855 by itself.

Still I am not complaining. If I see any odd stability issues later I will upgrade.

For people that are having odd stability issues with thier rig and memory etc; I'd suggest doing Rgone's thrice memory flash again with the 417 BIOS after making sure to have cleared the CMOS, and gotten rid of any custom saves in the "reloaded" banks. I also cleared my ESCD, and that may have not been necessary.

I got rid of mine by saving BIOS defaults into all the banks, and overwriting the names or "description" with nothing.

After I did all of that, boom, my UCCC started ocing like a champ and rock stable. Up to 275 1:1 1T possible now.

Be patient with the board guys, once the 417 is in there solid and correctly it rocks.