Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

ive been running it for several days with mushkin redline at 240 - 245fsb (2.5 3 3 7) everything is perfect....no crashes restarts....not a single problem but one.......

i get memory bandwidth in sisoft sandra (2005 sr3) around 3400-3500 mb/sec!!!! and sandra sees my memory as SINGLE channel and command rate 2T!!!.........all other apllications sees it as dual channel (cpu-z for example).......changing timings........fsb....memory slots.......everything is always the same.....bios information is correct....and buffering in sandra enabled.........getting slightly confused.... :confused:

any feedback guys?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of purchasing this board as well but I am unsure if there would be any real reason to. To be completely honest with you, this is my first AMD and I've never owned a DFI board before. If I could get another 100 mhz or so out of my processor or tighten up the memory more than I would consider it.

I am curently completely dual prime stable/3D stable with what I have and was one of the lucky ones with an ASUS A8R32-MVP that have had no issues at all. In fact, if I drop my multi to 8, I can scale to 320 htt @ 4xLDT no problem. I'd love to hit 2800 mhz on this cpu with my memory @ 280 (so 312 htt with the 9 multi).

Is this feesible on the DFI or would I probably be wasting my time??

ive been running it for several days with mushkin redline at 240 - 245fsb (2.5 3 3 7) everything is perfect....no crashes restarts....not a single problem but one.......

i get memory bandwidth in sisoft sandra (2005 sr3) around 3400-3500 mb/sec!!!! and sandra sees my memory as SINGLE channel and command rate 2T!!!.........all other apllications sees it as dual channel (cpu-z for example).......changing timings........fsb....memory slots.......everything is always the same.....bios information is correct....and buffering in sandra enabled.........getting slightly confused.... :confused:

any feedback guys?

Don't worry, Sandra reports it wrong. Same with me as well......

I am thinking of purchasing this board as well but I am unsure if there would be any real reason to. To be completely honest with you, this is my first AMD and I've never owned a DFI board before. If I could get another 100 mhz or so out of my processor or tighten up the memory more than I would consider it.

I am curently completely dual prime stable/3D stable with what I have and was one of the lucky ones with an ASUS A8R32-MVP that have had no issues at all. In fact, if I drop my multi to 8, I can scale to 320 htt @ 4xLDT no problem. I'd love to hit 2800 mhz on this cpu with my memory @ 280 (so 312 htt with the 9 multi).

Is this feesible on the DFI or would I probably be wasting my time??

In your case, i would rest with Asus A8R32-MVP. DFI 3200-DR is a great board, maybe the best 939 board ever made, but if your CPU step can't go higher in performance, it's not safe to think that such a great board like DFI 3200-DR does the job better then any other board.

OK Some news - I am using all my free time playing with this and after I corrupted windows - (probably due to not enough Vcore) I started again with a fresh install of windows.

Currently 265 x 10 with my RAM running a 183 divider.

32M Super PI - no sweat - 28 mins 38 secs (done on a 166 divider)

RAM is running at 2.8V and CPU has 1.42V running through it. Doing a Prime95 stress test now - and seems solid - 15 mins so far. ( I know I need to do more, but am thinking about that 2.7!)

The only thing is my CPU temp - 51C - Full load. idling at 41C

I think my next step is keep everything as is and see if I can drop the vcore a fraction - so I have done that and smartguardian reads it as 1.39V currently prime95-ing that and see how I go. (Early indications 49/50c)

At 1.4Vcore can an Opty 170 hit 2.7?

In your case, i would rest with Asus A8R32-MVP. DFI 3200-DR is a great board, maybe the best 939 board ever made, but if your CPU step can't go higher in performance, it's not safe to think that such a great board like DFI 3200-DR does the job better then any other board.

I agree. I was hoping that someone with the same hardware would chirp in and say different but in my case, the DFI is no better than what I got. If I had an FX-60 though, things could be different. :nod:

Here are my Ram settings for gskill Hz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/Ben...RamSettings.jpg

Note that memtest fails if i try to increase the clock anymore than 250 mhz.

Memtest displays my Bandwidth as 2790 mb/s. Using these settings and running the Ram at stock speeds seems to provide the best stability and best performance. Sandra says my memory bandwidth for int is 6345 and float is 6299. i have treid relaxing the timings and increasing the memclock but it would not pass memtest no matter what i seemed to change so i switched back to the settings above.

I also notice that the voltage readings are dangerously different then what is posted in bios ( setting the temperatures inn bios and entering bios on next boot up and the voltages posted in vios are even different then what is set.

for example

Dram voltage selected in bios-2.41

Dram voltage reported in bios-2.51 -!

Dram voltage in windows- 2.47

cpu voltage selected in bios-1.375

cpu voltage Reported in windows-1.34 -!

I hope that these voltage reading can be addressed with a future Bios revision.

the temperature also reports about 8-10 C lower in windows than in the bios but the is a setting to remedy that ( would be nice if we didnt have to use that)

I am having SuperPi issues. I have 2x 1GB G-Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS rated at 2.5,3,3,6. I am currently using those settings, Row cycle time is 16, Row Refesh Cycle Time is 22. The other dram timings are as tight as possible, loosening them does nothing, usually it worsens stability. I also tried 2.5, 5, 4, 8 and that worked, though basically the same as the other settings (stability-wise). Changing RAS to CAS delay to anything but 2.5 results in a BIOS reset.

SuperPi seems to not like my memory on this board, although I was able to get one instance to run to 1m at 2800Mhz, that was with a 166Mhz divider and 10x multi.

At 2700Mhz I can run one instance of SuperPi without issues (166Mhz divider 10x multi). However, two instances never works. Should I be worried?

At 2610 Mhz and HT multi of 9x (FSB 290, 166Mhz divider), at the same CPU voltage used for 2700Mhz, pushing the RAM near its limit, I can't even run one instance of SuperPi to 1M. 2 instances of SP2004 run but only for about 10 minutes before it poops out.

Also, two instances of SP2004 run fine for hours at 2700Mhz.

Should I just accept that my memory doesn't like this board? Do you think its even worth trying to achieve two instances of SuperPi at 2700Mhz. I am trying to get more bandwidth out of my memory but I'm starting to think its just not meant to be... Sandra benches fine at the 2610Mhz mentioned above, scored 64xx/63xx or so (don't remember exactly).

Any advice is appreciated, I'm about to smash these DRAM sticks into tiny pieces.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

I've gotta post screen shots of this. But OCZ was NOT lying saying this PC4800 Elite Edition, is elite... its 1337.

I found my problem.... I need to run the ram at 2T to get my high fsb speeds. I know what you all are saying "2T is for noob.." but wait.

Heres what just came out as SuperPi 32M stable on these sweet-butt TCCD ballhoneys...

I'll post some screen shots later tonight after I do some more tweaking and prime95'ing

2.5-4-4-8 2T: I was able to get to 325!!!!! thats 650 DDR!!!

Sisoft Buffered: 7130 MB/s read 7042 MB/s write.

325x8. so my cpu was at 2.6Ghz

I couldn't get higher than that on this CFX3200 so I dropped my FSB down to 275 and set my memory latency to 2.5-4-4-8 2T with rather loose settings and my memory divider I set not to 200/200 1:1 I set it to 200/233 6:7 and my cpu multi to 10 so my ram was hitting a lower but probably a more stable 640 DDR.

Sisoft Buffered: 7361 MB/s read 7099 MB/s write. not much better on write but much better on read.

BTW. This is equivalent to 600DDR 1T timing. So yes, it is possible to get the same performance on 2T as long as you SCALE THE CPU with the ram. ON both these tests My cpu was 2.6 Ghz and 2.7-2.75Ghz, which is stable for my 3500+ E6 Venice @ 1.61v.

Only thing...I'm glad I have a BLue Orb II blowing the hell out of these ram heatspreaders.. they do get kinda hot, i'd say around 45-50c...

But. the Heat rsistance on Samsun TCCDs is 70c after all.

Developing...

At 2610 Mhz and HT multi of 9x (FSB 290, 166Mhz divider), at the same CPU voltage used for 2700Mhz, pushing the RAM near its limit, I can't even run one instance of SuperPi to 1M. 2 instances of SP2004 run but only for about 10 minutes before it poops out.

290 @ 166 Divider is 482 Mhz which I believe is waaay over spec for these modules. Try 133 Divider @ 300 Fsb and CPU 9x Multi ? That would put your Ram @ 400 DDR and CPU at 2.7Ghz.

May require some tweaking but I would try.

You might even be able to tighten your ram alot having it run at 400 DDR

I also notice that the voltage readings are dangerously different then what is posted in bios ( setting the temperatures inn bios and entering bios on next boot up and the voltages posted in vios are even different then what is set.

for example

Dram voltage selected in bios-2.41

Dram voltage reported in bios-2.51 -!

Dram voltage in windows- 2.47

cpu voltage selected in bios-1.375

cpu voltage Reported in windows-1.34 -!

I hope that these voltage reading can be addressed with a future Bios revision.

the temperature also reports about 8-10 C lower in windows than in the bios but the is a setting to remedy that ( would be nice if we didnt have to use that)

Same thing here, but if you are carefull with the voltage that you apply in bios and an eye on the readings, that wont be a problem for your system.

I have read some where that Oscar and DFI is working on that issue, next bios update may correct those readings.

Eleven Zero, the thing is, I previously ran them at this speed without issue on a different board.

The reason I ask is because I am trying to drive my RAM higher and I seem to remember SuperPi working on my Biostar board with this RAM at 480Mhz. So I feel like there must be some combination of settings that will make this work. Unless this G-skill just doesn't like this board. Which it seems it doesn't because it is finnicky as heck. The auto settings definitely do not work for OC'ing the RAM, which worked fine on the A8R32-MVP for instance, in fact I barely messed with the RAM on that board. Oh well, maybe I will just drop my memory way down as you suggest and enjoy ripping CPU speeds and forget about it. But I can get about 1000 MB/s MORE bandwidth by OC'ing the memory! What to do, what to do...