Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

No-one can force you to wait, atm a few issues are cropping up here and there, as long as you follow the threads you should be ok.

IMO (don't shoot me down please peeps), the board has had it's application of polish, and is now awaiting it's shine, probably a bios update or 2 away.

For me atm, it's perfectly functional, I could live with this board as it is, if you read up a few posts you'll see that Toiny's putting together an overclocking guide. He says he's hitting 300 1:1 easy, though I'd like to know what ram he's using.

My 4800 does 2.7 though I only have it on air, I can get 2.7ghz unconditionally stable, I can fool around @ 2.8, but S&M stress test will not pass with 100% load.

Using Corsair 3500LL Pro, can get to around 247 1:1 with loose timings @ 11X multiplier.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me atm, it's perfectly functional, I could live with this board as it is, if you read up a few posts you'll see that Toiny's putting together an overclocking guide. He says he's hitting 300 1:1 easy, though I'd like to know what ram he's using.

he works for OCZ - as if he hasnt got the best ram ever

I seem to be in a pickle i have tweaked my memory settings aswell as overclocked to a modest 2.5 ghz.i have been steadily raising my 3dmarko5 score ( 11189 is my current high score-single x1900 no overclock) Anyway my overclocking and memory settings are dual prime stable for many hours yet i cannot restart the computer or turn it on without trying 5+ times. I get the error code "c1" often. I have no idea what the error means or how to correct it. I had thought that the No post/boot issua was tied to the cpu voltage set to the auto function and therefore being to low even for stock usage but it really has not resolved the issue at all. Which reminds me i Need to update my sig to Display my Hardware. I will do this immediately

he works for OCZ - as if he hasnt got the best ram ever

exactly

you have to be careful of guys like me, Tony, Rgone, Fugger, etc

guys like us have inside knowledge, and we have cream-of-the-crop hardware...not necessarily hand-picked cherry...but we have enough of it to choose the best from, and we have hardcore experience with the stuff we have to know exactly what and what it won't do...

guys like Tony, who not only work for one of the best memory mfg's in the world, but is also trained as an engineer and writes bioses in his spare time...and is close to Oskar...you need to realize that there are only a few (count on both hands or maybe hands and feet) guys that are as skilled as Tony.

now...this doesn't mean that no one could ever match Tony or any of our settings...that isn't what I am saying. I am just saying think realistically, and realize there is variation in cpu, memory, motherboard, and skills.

Then, lets be even MORE realistic

and realize

that 300FSB has been pretty simple to achieve since NF3 250Gb...as long as you had the right cpu and the right memory, just about any DFI Lanparty board has been able to hit 300FSB...

what you are not realizing is that 300FSB is not hard with the right memory and cpu memory controller...but the maxed out overclocks and the ability to be 100% stable for long periods of time, without your board breaking down or your cpu breaking down, utilizing the lowest timings and lowest voltages etc...that is what is important.

Not 300FSB. We've seen time and time again that 300x9 still gets beat by 275x10 and 280x10 etc because cpu mhz is what is important when it comes to real applications and games.

What I am hoping for though, is that Tony has the ability to creat a bios that will allow ANYONE to hit 300FSB. Because if he can create a bios and just about anyone can max their overclock with ease, then a previous poster (raju) would be correct...that the board does have a lot of polish, and with a great bios it will have a tremendous amount of SHINE.

Remember Tony's BIOS for the original Lanparty NF4?

Oskar's bioses were good, and opened up a lot of paths for us overclockers to hit our goals, but the 7/04-2BT and BTA were the ones that most of us use, and we've continued to use Tony's tweaked bioses ever since.

I've yet to even begin overclocking this board, but as you all know, overclocking is something I am good at but I always leave until last as I feel if a board cannot perform rock solid at stock speed, then it will be utterly useless at overclocked anything (because it won't be overclocking much if it can't run stable at stock).

Plus I am waiting on a nice, more mature bios...just like most of you ;)

no one seemed to complain much when I said these very same things about Nvidia and SLI, nor about the first RDX200 ATI board...I still am wondering why such a big deal now lol

here's what I will be testing...

FEAR

Call of Duty 2

Quake4

if you all have some other games that you'd like me to bench, let me know, and i'll see if I have them (probably do!)

Here's a few more to try out...

Battlefield 2

Oblivion

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Far Cry HDR

Far Cry HDR+AA (only ATis cards can do this using this patch).

Tomb Raider: Legend (Enable Next-Gen Content)

Condemned: Criminal Origins

;)

Here's a few more to try out...

Battlefield 2

Oblivion

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

Far Cry HDR

Far Cry HDR+AA (only ATis cards can do this using this patch).

Tomb Raider: Legend (Enable Next-Gen Content)

Condemned: Criminal Origins

;)

yow lol thats a lot of games

BF2 I won't just because it's a pile of crap engine that crashes even at stock speeds for a lot of users (yet all other games will run fine on their rigs)

Oblivion I'll check, but they don't really have a decent benchmark or timedemo built in =(

HL2 Lost Coast I will definitely run, as I just FINALLY tried it myself Thursday lol

FarCry...let me find the darn game and then I will have to download all teh patches again I guess lol

Tomb Raider...don't have this

Condemed....don't have this either (not planning on getting either of these games)

hopefully this will be good enough? ;)

I would say I'm an overclocking noob, though I'm learning fast, from being in the right company....

overclocking really isn't that hard if you really study what it is you are doing, and then apply it

and then realize that overclocking for most of us is just trying one setting after another until getting it to work lol...which takes an average of 2-6 weeks to nail down one of those 'superclocks' that you see hardcore users running ;)

yow lol thats a lot of games

BF2 I won't just because it's a pile of crap engine that crashes even at stock speeds for a lot of users (yet all other games will run fine on their rigs)

Oblivion I'll check, but they don't really have a decent benchmark or timedemo built in =(

HL2 Lost Coast I will definitely run, as I just FINALLY tried it myself Thursday lol

FarCry...let me find the darn game and then I will have to download all teh patches again I guess lol

Tomb Raider...don't have this

Condemed....don't have this either (not planning on getting either of these games)

hopefully this will be good enough? ;)

BF2 honestly has gotten a LOT better from the state it was when it first came out. It's still one of the buggiest games I've EVER played, but to be completely honest with you, it's not as bad anymore. If you patch it to the latest (1.22), the memory leaks are minimal (if any, and you have 2GB anyway as do most hard-core BF2 fans), and BF2 is really a game that shows off the X1x00 series' shading power.

As for Oblivion, I don't play it, but I know it's VERY popular, and VERY demanding! Look...

1600foliagehdr.gif

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivi...nd_performance/

Far Cry is gettin' old, but CryTek (one of my favorite developers) will NOT let this game die! This is the only game I know that was developed in 2003, released in early 2004, and supports HDR+AA! At 1280x1024, with everything maxed, I get good numbers, but I would love to see how a CrossFire rig would do.

As for Tomb Raider and Condemned... I have the demos for both, and both are pretty cool, and pretty demanding. Unfortunately, the demo of Tomb Raider won't allow use of the Next-Gen Content (which adds HDR, Soft Shadows, and a few other high-end features). Here's links to the demos if you change your mind and want to check them out...

Tomb Raider: Legend Demo

Condemned: Criminal Origins Demo

BF2 honestly has gotten a LOT better from the state it was when it first came out. It's still one of the buggiest games I've EVER played, but to be completely honest with you, it's not as bad anymore. If you patch it to the latest (1.22), the memory leaks are minimal (if any, and you have 2GB anyway as do most hard-core BF2 fans), and BF2 is really a game that shows off the X1x00 series' shading power.

actually, it is still the BUGGIEST game I own

I can get it to run flawlessly on my main rig, but it crashes on 3 other rigs that have zero crashes with multiple games and apps (you know I'm anal about stability)

It also crashes on 3 of the rigs local guys have had me help them build...yet other hardcore games like FEAR, Oblivion, CS Source etc all run flawlessly

I've ran every patch that has come out and yet they don't fix the major problem...the engine itself lol

I love BF2, but i just don't have time to try and find out if it works on these rigs when it is nothing but a problematic game for majority of the computers I've had to work on (especially when games like FEAR and Oblivion for me are install-and-play without any issues!)

as for the others, i just don't have any intention of ever playing them because they don't interest me and they also will not be what I call 'popular mainstream hits' like CoD2, HL2/CS Source/BF2, etc etc

I'm sure tehy are good games for those that like them, but I myself am just not interested in them, and since the demo for Tomb Raider doesn't even allow for nextgen content, that means I would have to buy the game to even get any realistic testing...and I would rather spend my $50 on a good Xbox game or another copy of HL2 etc lol

I think all the games and benchmarks listed will be more than adequate ;)

Can somebody let me know if the memtest that is built into dfi cfx3200dr is reporting my memory speed correctly? Its just that memtest seems to be reporting my that my memory is operating at 2606MB/s, Surely this cant be right can it?

Hey guys,

Another idea for anyone having stability issues. The "HTTSTOP Timing" defaults at 1us and this provides the fastest performance for the South Bridge however you may bump it higher to 2-8 for enhanced stability. Naturally, I'd try 2 first.

You may wish to try increasing the PCI latency timer from 8 to 16 if you are having any odd behavior in that department.

Also from Andre Yang for extreme overclockers, on a high FSB:

"NNOS and PMOS drive strength decided together the northbridge drive cpu ht bus Electric current intensity.

receiver impedance ---This option will determine the impedance control value of RD580 northbridge with it's HT bus singal.Increase the impedance control value will decrease the signal reflection of the RD580 chip ,,, Higher frequency and stronger CPU HT Bus Drive Strength require larger impedance value.

Set CPU to NB and NB to CPU driving strong .

So we need to set CPU HT bus Drive Strength and RD580 HT Bus NMOS/PMOS to Strong and 31/31."

So in summary for solid overclocking 31|31 is being suggest for NMOS|PMOS, PLL to High speed, and Drive strength to strong. If it was me I'd play between 15-30 here for NMOS|PMOS.

I'd say play with those values as they may be different depending on your CPU.

For light overclockers and those with stability problems I'd try playing between 6-15 for NNOS and PMOS, I'd leave the PLL at auto, and driver strength at normal in these cases. The idea is to experiment.

Also watch your CPU voltage. I can set 1.5 and get 1.46-1.47. If it is critical for you to be at a certain voltage you may wish to set one value up. While the voltage is rock stable it comes in a tad low compared to what you select. At least IMO.