Question about Expert and dying CPUs

Yup, it does read it from the BIOS, but the this tends to be an area where mobo makers skimp since it isn't that important and these sensors can frequently have gross inaccuracies. For example, my original Lanparty (socket A) board said my CPU was usually between 15 and 25 celcius, even when it was closer to 60 celcius.

Doesn't change the fact that "stock" voltage is considered the bios to be set for the chips rated voltage, regardless of what actual or reported is.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, getting back on topic....

When you were running your CPU at stock vcore, what was your vdimm? You seem to like keeping it at 3.5v when overclocking your RAM. If I was you, I would have been running my LDT at 300Mhz, with the 180/200 divider on the RAM. That would have put your RAM pretty much at its maximum, which is where we all like to keep things. You also need 3.5v on your RAM to run it at that speed. That's why I'm assuming that when you say you ran 3Ghz on stock voltage, you were also running your RAM at 3.5 volts.

For clarity...

I must point out that the moderators of this MOTHERBOARD FORUM didn't know what the LDT was, or how it relates to CPU speed or overclocking!

At the time I'm making this post none of the linked posts have been edited.

computerpro3, you said your CPU was not overclocked but you said you were running it at 3.1GHZ

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...642&postcount=1

When challenged about your CPU speed you post this...

"Besides, my chip wasn't overclocked or overvolted when it died. Cmos was set to default."

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...07&postcount=13

Then you said...

"Come on, you know better than that. The LDT multiplier was turned down to 3x. Technically, that's underclocked."

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...38&postcount=20

to which AG replied...

"you have a cpu clocked to 3.1Ghz, which IS overclocked, yet you THINK it is NOT overclocked because...you lowered the LDT multiplier? An internal link multiplier that has zero to do with manipulating actual cpu speed?"

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...82&postcount=23

Okay, getting back on topic....

When you were running your CPU at stock vcore, what was your vdimm? You seem to like keeping it at 3.5v when overclocking your RAM. If I was you, I would have been running my LDT at 300Mhz, with the 180/200 divider on the RAM. That would have put your RAM pretty much at its maximum, which is where we all like to keep things. You also need 3.5v on your RAM to run it at that speed. That's why I'm assuming that when you say you ran 3Ghz on stock voltage, you were also running your RAM at 3.5 volts.

First off, LDT is not HTT. LDT = nothing to do with CPU speed in the least.

I never run my cpu @ 3ghz day to day; I run 3.1ghz. I verified I could hit 3ghz stock voltage when i first was testing the limits of my OC; and to do that I set ram divider at sometihng ridiculously low like 133 and leave it stock voltage.

At 3.1ghz I can't use a high ram divider as my ram can't do 280mhz; it's max is around 272mhz. Therefore I run it at 260mhz day to day, 3.4v bios, 3.51v actual according to multimeter. I use the extra voltage because it needs that extra click to run at that speed in 2GB; each pair as 1GB can do that on 3.2v.

I'm telling you, the voltage of the ram compared to the vcore isn't what caused the problem. In fact, I believe I might have even posted in that original thread by tony; I knew of the problem for quite some time.

For clarity...

At the time I'm making this post none of the linked posts have been edited.

computerpro3, you said your CPU was not overclocked but you said you were running it at 3.1GHZ

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...642&postcount=1

When challenged about your CPU speed you post this...

"Besides, my chip wasn't overclocked or overvolted when it died. Cmos was set to default."

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...07&postcount=13

Then you said...

"Come on, you know better than that. The LDT multiplier was turned down to 3x. Technically, that's underclocked."

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...38&postcount=20

to which AG replied...

"you have a cpu clocked to 3.1Ghz, which IS overclocked, yet you THINK it is NOT overclocked because...you lowered the LDT multiplier? An internal link multiplier that has zero to do with manipulating actual cpu speed?"

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...82&postcount=23

For clarity:

Chip was overclocked originally to 3.1ghz.

Bios cheksum error came, resetting defaults.

THEN Chip died

AG claimed that I was overclocking thigns besides my CPU based on his assumption that LDT speed x multiplier = CPU speed, and that to hit 3.1ghz, I owuld need LDT of 311mhz.

I responded that I had underclocked my LDT multiplier and therefore was not overclocking anything else besides the cpu, and informed him that it has nothing to do with CPU speed.

He couldn't understand that LDT speed has nothign to do with CPU speed.

Not seeing what's so hard to understand here? Several other posters understand what I'm saying...

Hi guys,

I recently joined this forum, having a DFI for some time now.

Here is another scenario that you guys can ponder about. It involves an ASUS mb.

So after I’m finished here, we can start to flame them as well.

One of my friends is getting Vapor Chill and needed a DFI, they are hard to come by in this country so I gave him my precious DFI mb (See sig). He in turn bought me the asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. After installing this board everything worked well. BTW – the same equipment used in the DFI was running the ASUS board See sig.

I did some mild OCing 1.425 vcore and 2.8 for vdimm

I left the machine running over night and the next morning the PC was off. Tried to switch it on – nothing. After some serious mainboard swapping and cpu swapping we came to the conclusion the CPU and the mainboard was dead.

I promptly asked for my DFI back – which my friend kindly let me do and with a new 4000 (AMD kindly changed it through the local distros) – with the original DFI and same PSU the machine is running like a dream.

So now we can start flaming ASUS as well?

Is ASUS a bad board - No certianly not. Maybe DFI got in a bad batch of components? How many ACTUAL failures of this expert board have there been?

Btw the CPU that died in the ASUS was running for 6 months + in the DFI. So it could just be a case of a power component that is below spec. I don’t know. I think we should stick to technical issues and see why this is apparently happening to the expert boards.

Do you know of any cpu failures on the expert that were not using a high vdimm? If not apparently that would have something to do with the failure. I'm just trying to be logical here. You might consider gathering everyone together who has experienced a failure and collect accurate data on their setups and see if a pattern emerges from the data then present it to the forum for scrutiny. I think it's a good idea. Perhaps if there is a problem it will come to light in this manner.

I have no idea what this thread it about, other than the title, but after reading this page I would suggest not attempting to belittle the moderators attempts to assist you with the problem at hand.

the moderators haven't attempted to assist him yet... or anyone with a dead cpu from the expert board for that matter