Question about Expert and dying CPUs

Nope don't own a Jeep :). However, you can basically compare your scenario with JEEP to DFI. According to your post, they don't service your vehicle if you've been off-roading when the vehicle is MEANT for off-roading, to a certain extent.

Here, though we can RMA the board, in regards to the processor, or fixing the problem, we have technicians claiming it's the users problem, or their fault because they overclocked when the board is MADE for overclocking . . . It simply makes NO sense . . .

Cheers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's very obvious that computerpro3 is BS'ing here since nobody runs chips at 3Ghz on stock voltage that were designed to run at 2Ghz. If that was possible (which it isn't) then imagine what kind of overclocks these "elite" overclockers would be getting when they did touch the vcore!? Why would anyone be buying faster chips? Why aren't all these experts sharing their secrets that allow all the rest of us noobs to run our chips at 3Ghz on stock voltage if it's that easy? There are only a finite number of settings and variables in the BIOS, so achieving 3Ghz so easily on stock voltage can't be too hard, can it? Why don't you guys share your secrets? I want to know.

Odd, my 144 (which is designed to do 1.8GHz) does 2.93GHz prime stable on stock vcore. Hell, my 165 which is also designed to do 1.8GHz per-core is dual-priming right now @ 2853MHz stock vcore, and is 4 hours in. :) But I guess getting cherry processors is "BS'ing".

Odd, my 144 (which is designed to do 1.8GHz) does 2.93GHz prime stable on stock vcore. Hell, my 165 which is also designed to do 1.8GHz per-core is dual-priming right now @ 2853MHz stock vcore, and is 4 hours in. :) But I guess getting cherry processors is "BS'ing".

Neither of those is 3Ghz, is it? I'm saying that making 3Ghz sound like a cake walk is disengenuous and wrong. I can't remember seeing any 3Ghz 146's @ stock vcore. You also say that this is the result of getting "cherry" processors. So, what's so "expert" in getting good luck of the draw? That's like claiming you're an expert in playing War (the kiddie card game) because you got all the Aces and royalty (every game has only one outcome since there is no human decision-making involved, you're just playing toward it).

EDIT: I'd also like to quote some of what computerpro3 said at Xtremesystems:

The machine was running for 3 days PERFECTLY, at 3.1ghz with 33C under load @ 1.53v.

So, if stock was 1.4v and he could do 3Ghz at that speed, then it seems unlikely to me that a 100Mhz bump in clockspeed required a .13v bump in vcore. I know that things like this become common when processors top out (I'm not new to overclocking, see my toaster sig among other things...you had to prove stability to get those too, not just spout numbers and claim they were stable ;) ) but if you haven't had to raise the vcore yet, a .13v increase for the next 100Mhz seems a little strange to me.

I also notice that he said he was running 3.5vdimm. I thought that many of us "experts", including the people at Xtremesystems knew that running a high vdimm and a low vcore killed Athlon 64's? Oh wait...maybe some people aren't as expert as they like to present themselves. I'm going to quote what Tony (from OCZ, the guy who made the -bt(a) BIOS's and knows what he's f'ing talking about) said:

Guys, this is most important

If you run a high vdimm and a low vcore with E die etc you are running the risk of killing the cpu's. So if you have VX etc and you are not raising the vcore on your cpu you stand a chance of pumping a lot of current into the memory controller and causing permenant damage.

Im seeing people running $1k cpu's at default vcore and BH5 at 3.4V, this is a sure way to kill the cpu and is NOTHING to do with an issue on the board. If you are going to run high vdimm run a higher vcore also, and keep your CPU's ok.

That sounds like it could be his problem, no?

well this only resolves the issue if "tony" is a proven knowledgeable individual that has an extensive background in anti-cpu-killing techniques. Or if tony has actually tested this particular theory and how many times etc...

sorry i was a little sarcarstic...its just that the more i read this thread the more i feel like the issue is going unresolved...

i do appreciate everyones'input on the matter but i have yet to see some solid evidence that this cpu-killer is lurking in my brand spankin-new and yet unassembled Expert.

so how about someone try to fry an overclocked cpu with stock vcore and high vdimm? and then try it again? yes i know such a waste (sob!) but only if the cpu gets toasted! i would do it if i had the dough...cmon isnt the trust and peace of minds of fellow dfi users worth a couple of cpus? not to mention putting an end to the rumors of the cpu-killer? Also, wouldnt it be cool to prove to "Mr 3ghz is so easy" that it wasnt the Expert that killed the cpu, but actually it was the difference in cpu-mem voltages

Do you know what you just said?

Tony works at OCZ. He does this stuff for a living. If anyone knew, it would be him. I'm sure he's done the testing to back it up. Other OCZ employees also say the same thing. The thread I linked to is a sticky for a reason.

So the question is, what vdimm and vcore were you running when you fried your chip?

Do you know what you just said?

Tony works at OCZ. He does this stuff for a living. If anyone knew, it would be him. I'm sure he's done the testing to back it up. Other OCZ employees also say the same thing. The thread I linked to is a sticky for a reason.

So the question is, what vdimm and vcore were you running when you fried your chip?

dude...chill..

i was being sarcastic k...and i did the sticky thingie...its just that everyone was throwing all this stuff around...and finally here comes tony (yea!)...and voila no more lurking cpu-killer...sorry if i offended u or anyone else...

and to answer ur question i sadly dont have a cpu to fry :(

I'm just getting frustrated because some people seem intent on blaming DFI for them frying their chips and don't seem to want to even listen to other explanations. computerexpert3 also seems to think that everyone here doesn't have a clue, and has a generally bad attitude. A lot of others also seem to not want to listen to perfectly reasonable (and probable) explanations as to what happened. The thread where Tony said this that I linked to was even from computerexpert3's beloved Xtremesystems, but that is a somewhat well-known fact among many overclockers as well which is why I'm not buying his whole "I know more than all of you" spiel.

I'm just getting frustrated because some people seem intent on blaming DFI for them frying their chips and don't seem to want to even listen to other explanations. computerexpert3 also seems to think that everyone here doesn't have a clue, and has a generally bad attitude. A lot of others also seem to not want to listen to perfectly reasonable (and probable) explanations as to what happened. The thread where Tony said this that I linked to was even from computerexpert3's beloved Xtremesystems, but that is a somewhat well-known fact among many overclockers as well which is why I'm not buying his whole "I know more than all of you" spiel.

I'll respond to the other posts later (end of marking term so no time), but I'd just like to say that if you didn't have comprehension problems you'll realize that my vcore 1.52 while the vdimm was 3.5v, as I knew about that issue (which had been discovered months and months ago btw).

Why don't people read the damn thread?

Well, it's very obvious that computerpro3 is BS'ing here since nobody runs chips at 3Ghz on stock voltage that were designed to run at 2Ghz. If that was possible (which it isn't) then imagine what kind of overclocks these "elite" overclockers would be getting when they did touch the vcore!? Why would anyone be buying faster chips? Why aren't all these experts sharing their secrets that allow all the rest of us noobs to run our chips at 3Ghz on stock voltage if it's that easy? There are only a finite number of settings and variables in the BIOS, so achieving 3Ghz so easily on stock voltage can't be too hard, can it? Why don't you guys share your secrets? I want to know.

rotf.gif

rotf.gif

rotf.gif

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. This only proves what a noob you are. It's not possible? Really? What if oyu considered my IHS is removed and idle temps are in the 20's on water?

I'll tell ya what, I'll post some screenshots when my new motherboard comes in for you. Or you could just google, there are actually plenty out there. In fact, some that do it with stock cooler as well.

As for what kind of overclocks the elite overclockers get when they did touch the vcore? well, the world record for this chip is aboev 3.7ghz, so if that's any indication....even I hit 3.5+ghz.

Or perhaps you'd like to settle this with a bench off?

computer pro and his fan boys....

what bios were you using and also what bios were the ghosts using when the boards killed the cpus?

How about the official one that came with my board? I'm assuming the "ghosts" use the stock one too, unless it was THEM that made the "user error"....