NF4 LanParty (original) BETA BIOS 3/30/2006 (direct download)

Alas yes, I know what you mean. While I was writting my first post I did think of the complications involved in development and testing. Of all the thousands of components avaliable, there are millions of possible combinations, which makes it a needle in a haystack to test them all. But we can still hope, :) .

Either way, when I built my computer I was looking around for information on DFI, and I found this website. Not only was I impressed by the reviews that DFI was recieving on the quality and performance of their products, I was also worried about the articles here and there saying that some people were finding it harder to set up the DFI boards than other motherboards. I havn't had enough experiance to judge if they are or are not, but after reading some of the posts, I decided that these forums were exactly the level of customer care I wanted, and was a major factor in my decision to purchase an Ultra-D, and I've never regretted it.

Therefore I appreciate the multitude of things that DO get done, which is plain to see from the number of posts on the forum :) .

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arghhh stop it, im going to end up testing this bios out if you keep saying good things.

I'm stuck between the , it's not broken and performance is more than good

vs

Hmmm, the possibility of more performance at the risk of breaking something.

Going to get some 3500LL Pro when I get paid, so when I pop the side of my rig i'll probably try this out being as at the same time I will have access to the CMOS jumper.

hey, nice to see what the boot screen is supposed to look like! :D i was one of the unfortunate ones to see its colours all messed up because of my X1K video card. at least that fix worked, heh.

one problem though, although not a huge one, is the latency of my memory now. before, i used the 510-2fix bios, and it showed the best results for my memory (40.5ns latency). this beta shows about the same results as i had with 704-2bta, which still isnt bad (47.9ns), but i'll have to run some other benchmarks to see how much it makes a difference.

Just as an FYI to anyone else who may experience odd network connectivity after flashing to this BIOS (see page 3), I have found a solution, or at least one that solved my problem. Out of sheer coincidence, I was trying to copy some files to another PC before I re-imaged this one to see if it would fix the problem. Oddly enough, I couldn't map to the machine, though I could from any other computer. I pulled the IP and it was the SAME one my main PC was being assigned. I went into my BIOS and hardset the MAC address as is printed on the board and voila, everything works again. No more timing out in games, etc. Both machines are on seperate ports on the router so the only thing I can summize is that unless a MAC address is hardset, the router just makes one up. Apparently in this case, it made up the same one and handed out the same IP to two different machines :drool:

I know this wasn't a case of the router needing a reboot as I'd already reflashed, even went back a version, the firmware since this problem started.

Flashed to this bios last night..

I was lazy and didnt feel like hooking up my floppy drive so I flashed with winflash version 176.. Selected update all and clear cmos.. Flashed and rebooted to load optimized defaults.. Saved and exited.. then powered down at the post screen to clear cmos..

Powered up and ran prime with the same settings in my sig !! 8+ hours with no errors.. so far its working well for me with no difference in my oc..

Flashed to this bios last night..

I was lazy and didnt feel like hooking up my floppy drive so I flashed with winflash version 176.. Selected update all and clear cmos.. Flashed and rebooted to load optimized defaults.. Saved and exited.. then powered down at the post screen to clear cmos..

Powered up and ran prime with the same settings in my sig !! 8+ hours with no errors.. so far its working well for me with no difference in my oc..

Good to hear winflash worked Thunda, I too lazy to hook floppy up myself, question: are you using 64bit editions of XP and Prime95?

Okay i just flashed with this new Beta Bios and i can say that the SATA issue for the NF4-D has not been resolved. Right now i have a SATA HD connected to SATA1 and i still need to enable SATA 3 inorder to have the Bios recognize my HD. I'm actually @300x9 1.5v memory on 180 divider @270MHz 3448 2.6v but haven't tried any games or test for stability yet. I think i might of tried this before on the 704-2BTA and it was a no go, but i might be wrong. We'll see how this turns out threw further testing. Thanks Angry....

Anyhow got some extra IDE CHANNEL listed everytime i boot into Windows. I have two Primary IDE Channel's, two Secondary IDE Channels, and three Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller's in device manager. I have my DVD-RW burner on Secondary master only, and a SATA harddrive on SATA1.

Now i still get this driver issue coming up which states, "Cannot Install This hardware, there was a problem installing this hardware (IDE CHANNEL) an error occurred during the installation of the device" Driver is not intended for this platform. Now i have my Primary master/slave on NONE, secondary Slave on NONE and SATA2&3&4 on NONE. So at Post i'm suppose to get one DVD-RW on Secondary Master and one Harddrive SATA on SATA1, but it still searches for another SATA on a different controller. That's the problem they screwed this up, LOL! Anyone else dealing with this on the DFI NF4-D motherboard? I know you're cause you still have to have SATA3+4 enabled in order for the motherboard to recognize your SATA harddrive which is connected on SATA1 anyway. So it's some issue with an invinsible SATA controller i think, i don't know man....